Versus "Progression"

Jwallyr
Jwallyr Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
Thus spake the Google:

pro·gres·sion
prəˈɡreSHən/
noun

the process of developing or moving gradually towards a more advanced state.

By this definition (the topmost at Google, and one that makes obvious sense) the point-based "progression" rewards for Versus are patently not "progression", because you can't reliably "progress" from the beginning (no rewards) to the end (full rewards). With win-based progression rewards, someone like me with a life (40 hour a week job, wife and kid, extracurricular responsibilities, etc.) could play games here and there when time permitted, and I could reasonably expect to eventually achieve the progression rewards for my CL.

My experience with the points-based PvP "progression" in the past is that there was a hidden equilibrium point (usually somewhere around 750 points) that essentially there was nothing I could possibly do to break through, and the topmost "progression" rewards were 100% out of reach. As a result, I would typically play a burst of games (the earlier the better) with as aggressive a team on offense as I possibly could to reach the 2nd Hero Points reward, and then ignore the event from then on. Having something to work toward in the win-based (i.e. actual) progression rewards system kept me interested, and I ended up playing *more* than 40 games, as I would get sucked into the placement race.

Which reminds me... when the top player in the placement has a score of around 750-800 in my bracket, does it even make sense to have a reward for 1200 points? Does anybody ever even get that reward? Apparently at the higher brackets you can earn that many points, but at CL 4 I *never* see anybody with a score even close.

I have read a couple of threads on this topic, and it seems that there are other issues at higher CLs that might reasonably make players reluctant to play a full 40 games per event. I am 100% in support of fixing those issues, whether they involve a gradual compression in numbers of wins actually required to achieve the top rewards so that the highest CLs aren't a slog, tweaking the rewards themselves so that players with well-developed rosters aren't incentivized to slum the lower CLs, etc. I don't see any inherent incompatibility with a win-based progression system and graduated rewards to keep those veteran players engaged in the CLs that they are intended to be in.

What I don't understand is how "progression" rewards can rationally be based on a score that fluctuates up and down, with hidden equilibrium points that essentially cap the achievable rewards, or why I would want to play any more than the absolute minimum number of games with which I can feel satisfied in such a system.

/rant

Comments

• hunky_funky
    hunky_funky Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    I'm totally with you
  • thetimelord
    thetimelord Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Agreed, I loved win based progression
  • hunky_funky
    Most of the people whine about removing 15 cp prize. The simple decision is to include 15 cp and leave win based system. The problem is, that devs don't want to give cp that easily, so everybody is suffering. Those who like win based system and those who against it. Who will say that, it's more time or health packs consuming, just want free cp.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    Most of the people whine about removing 15 cp prize. The simple decision is to include 15 cp and leave win based system. The problem is, that devs don't want to give cp that easily, so everybody is suffering. Those who like win based system and those who against it. Who will say that, it's more time or health packs consuming, just want free cp.

For me the problem with win-based system was that suddenly all fights were declared equal (and I was expected to slog through 40 of them for a 4* cover)

The old system favored choosing your fights well with tougher opponents generally being worth more.

Win-based favored trying to find the easiest seals to club (timing it weel to get up to 10 seed teams, playing around with the retaliation system to get more easy fights, deliberately losing dozens of matches so you go back down in ranking)

There have been far more issues with win-based than just the placement of the cp.

• hunky_funky
    Well, maybe you right. But if, for example, there was 4 star cover at 35 wins and 15 cp at 40, less people would be upset about it. Yeah, they would write something you just wrote, but not in every discussion, in every poll and every comment. And devs would saw it and think: "Hmmm... yeah, people have some pros and cons, but most are OK with new system, so let's just leave it and work on some improvements". Not just roll back to this frustration. I don't think that every other phone game has that type of outdated pvp system (don't know for sure). Don't wanna argue with nobody, just personal opinion.
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    If you are playing cl4, you should be concerned with filling out a 2* farm and champing 3*s.  A single cover 4 won't help you for a long time
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jwallyr said:
    Thus spake the Google:

pro·gres·sion
    prəˈɡreSHən/
    noun

the process of developing or moving gradually towards a more advanced state.

By this definition (the topmost at Google, and one that makes obvious sense) the point-based "progression" rewards for Versus are patently not "progression", because you can't reliably "progress" from the beginning (no rewards) to the end (full rewards). With win-based progression rewards, someone like me with a life (40 hour a week job, wife and kid, extracurricular responsibilities, etc.) could play games here and there when time permitted, and I could reasonably expect to eventually achieve the progression rewards for my CL.

/rant

On the other hand, when you win progression rewards, it is because you are, by definition, progressing.

What you really seem to be arguing is that some PVP behavior that resulted in unilateral progress in a Wins-based progression system (once again) no longer results in unilateral progress under the points-based PVP system. Which I don't think anyone would refute.

But saying that a reward isn't a progression reward because you can't/won't "progress" to it is a bit silly.
  • Killabee
    Killabee Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    Problem with points based pvp, it sucks for 4* transition and 4* players in general. Bust your butt to over 850, now only queue 10points or less player on day2. So sure gamble and beat some fast, but odds of beating 4 teams before getting beat down for 100 points, super high. Not cool. Easy for 5* players but i have to spend 300hp and play over 40 wins to even get a gamble chance at the 4* progression. This is equally as unfair as losing the 1200 point progression that I wouldn't get anyway. I've gotten it once ever using 2 whales on 5* rosters. We need a middle ground.

Wins based sucked for higher roster players for sure, so while good for me, I sympathize for those it affected.

Points based just sucks for people that play hard without the proper roster. 
  • Helen keller
    Helen keller Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Win based progression was good for the community overall, it was not good for the top 5%, maybe 10%, whatever the percentage of people with viable 5* rosters are who spend money and are active on the forums, the squeaky wheel got fixed, but frankly if the squeaky wheel is what pays the bills, it can't be ignored, it is what it is.
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    If you're playing cl4, your roster isnt ready to make full progression in pvp.  
  • Dotproduct
    Dotproduct Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    Welcome Death said:
    If you're playing cl4, your roster isnt ready to make full progression in pvp.  
    It doesn't matter for PvP you still face the same opponents?
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    Killabee said:
    Problem with points based pvp, it sucks for 4* transition and 4* players in general. Bust your butt to over 850, now only queue 10points or less player on day2. So sure gamble and beat some fast, but odds of beating 4 teams before getting beat down for 100 points, super high. Not cool. Easy for 5* players but i have to spend 300hp and play over 40 wins to even get a gamble chance at the 4* progression. This is equally as unfair as losing the 1200 point progression that I wouldn't get anyway. I've gotten it once ever using 2 whales on 5* rosters. We need a middle ground.

Wins based sucked for higher roster players for sure, so while good for me, I sympathize for those it affected.

Points based just sucks for people that play hard without the proper roster. 
    It's because everyone in your roster strength gives up too early.  Make progression progressive and I would bet it would be a lot easier.  Also, if you think its "easy" for 5* players to hit 10 point battles to make 1200, you've never played 5* play.  You get hit just as much, just usually by the same people instead of random people all over.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    Win based progression was good for the community overall, it was not good for the top 5%, maybe 10%, whatever the percentage of people with viable 5* rosters are who spend money and are active on the forums, the squeaky wheel got fixed, but frankly if the squeaky wheel is what pays the bills, it can't be ignored, it is what it is.
    It was not good either for people with good 4* rosters, sorry to burst your bubble. Its not only the 5* players who had a problem with grinding 40 wins.

Its simply too many matches, I was hitting above 1200 in ~27 wins, should I have just lost on purpose to be able to get the remaining 13 wins?

• CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    The reward structure could do with a serious shake up - 3* cover at 800 made sense in an era when there were relatively few 4*s, but now it's just off putting for lower level players, as it is insane hard to reach ; shuffle things around a bit, drop it down several hundred points so 2* and 3* rosters have something more enticing to chase.

While I'm on this train of thought, why not squeeze the reward structure into fewer points in lower CL levels (CL1 tops out at 500, step up in 100s to 1000 at CL6, then 7 & 8 are 1200). It creates a curve by which players can hit high progression in their CL, but the driver to move up is then that the rewards on the next CL are shinier. In my head at least, this could get people playing more, as there isn't the disheartening gulf to the prizes in early play. Rewards might need tweaked to keep people from permanently sandbagging though.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    sinnerjfl said:
    It was not good either for people with good 4* rosters, sorry to burst your bubble. Its not only the 5* players who had a problem with grinding 40 wins.

Its simply too many matches, I was hitting above 1200 in ~27 wins, should I have just lost on purpose to be able to get the remaining 13 wins?

More and more Im convinced MMR is just completely broken.

Im a 4* player and it was a cruise.  And I regularly hit key rewards at lower point totals than under the point based system.

And, on balance, I was getting more reward for less effort.

How can it be so different for you?

Or were you trying to play under old rules and chasing only high value matches?
  • Bruinsfan17
    Bruinsfan17 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Couldn't they just implement both systems into PvP? When you start the current PvP you select SCL, your time slot, and wait for.... Win based progression or points progression! I'm no programmer but that seems like it could be an easy thing to set up.