I Have Five Covers and I Must Scream

Forbush
Forbush Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
Just need to vent about my awful luck.

I'm a seasonal token hoarder, pulling conservatively until conditions are right, and then I go on a binge.  I decided now is binge time - Mordo is out, and I'd like to get some more Spideys before he gets bumped to Classic.  Just pulled thirty LTs - combined with exactly ten Classics pulled, about four or five 4* from Heroics, and at least two or three from event tokens, in the last month I've pulled right around 50 4*/5*...

...and sixteen of them were in unchamped, five-cover colors.
Nine of them were for characters I need 4 to 6 covers in to champ, several of which have been constant exercises in frustration for months or even years - like my 8-2-3 War Machine, my 8-2-2 Moon Knight, and most egregiously hairpulling of all, my 1-1-9 Quake.  But all that pales in comparison to my 2-5-10 Iceman: pulled four covers for him(!), yet none of them green (this also spurred my decision to blow the hoard: buy the HFH green and try and rescue those vine covers.  And in fact I did pull another Iceman - yet another purple...)  The other four are almost reasonable, of-course-it-did situations: 5-1-6 Peggy, 7-1-6 Luke (two covers for Luke!), and like a gentle, giggling slap to the face, my final pull was a green for my 2-4-6 IW.  (Oh wait, the actual final slap in the face is realizing I didn't get a single 5*Spidey, or 5*DD which I would have liked to get too. It can be two slaps!)

I guess a lot of people in my position (many, many underdeveloped 4* trapped in amber when vaulting arrived) have similar rosters and similar stories.  And to be fair, I did get some much-needed covers, some of which I've been trying to get for ages.  But man, I just look at the fourteen covers dying on the vine in my queue (and knowing I've already painfully sold several just recently) and my thoughts turn to supervillainy.  Is this what drove Thanos to start thinking that personified entropy started lookin' pretty good in dat robe?

Comments

• dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yikes that's an awful losing streak. Rngesus is an awful troll sometimes. :( hope you somehow manage to save eat least one or two. My alt had to sell 2 purple covers for a 2/2/5 rhulk not long ago. 
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    my 3/3/27 phx balks at u
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    My run like that was during the anniversary. There were only 6 4* covers (not 6 characters, 6 covers, character and colour combo) that I couldn't use at that point, and I drew 5 of them out of maybe 7 non-Devil Dino 4* pulls in a few days.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    +1 for classic Harlan Ellison reference

I haven't seen a Hulkbuster cover in forever, so I was pretty excited when I got 2 last week, except yes, you guessed it, both red and 5/1/4.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    My 3/14/2 mockingbird sympathises
  • feraldayor
    feraldayor Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Can my 7/7/0 Mockingbird cry too?
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    i've pulled 1 4* out of at my last 150 - 200 heroic pulls. 
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    The 5-cover thing is atrocious. I have run into it many times, and I always hate it.
  • NicholasHewitt
    NicholasHewitt Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    8/3/4 Rogue here, 3 green currently on the vine with five days to go. It's more than a bit ridiculous at this point.
  • Michaelcles
    Michaelcles Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    This game is designed poorly.  It should have been programmed to prevent this from happening, but why should the devs care when the players put up with it and reward the devs with $$$?
  • Lightning1012
    Lightning1012 Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    I really hate it too. Nearly all of my collected 4-stars of the last three weeks are useless. I must throw away a blue IF, pink Agent Coulsen, yellow Peggy Carter, red Medusa, red Cyclops and a blue Iceman. I can't count how many covers I already threw away. It's really frustrating!
    Why isn't there a possibilty to share covers? Sharing with other Players or with the "bank", willingly to collect a few useless 4-stars for a 4 star of your choice...
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    I have 14 4-star champs, and of the remaining 45, 16 of them have 5 covers in at least one colour. It's quite infuriating to know that when I pull that character I have a 1/3 chance of it being completely useless to me.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    The 5 cover thing sucks, as does bad rng, so condolences tc.  Ultimately we players know the odds and have to make our own choices about running the (often stupid) risk.  

My first 5* bonus cover was a yellow for my 1/5/4 BP.  I set him as BH during the hornhead tokem run hoping they would swap covers out.  But no luck, so now i know better.  No 5* is set as BH unless he/she is champed, a latest legend, or has all 3 colors below 5.

And i dont pull large hoard of LTs without expecting to sell some 4* covers for characters i can't get around to champing (like sandman or drax or eddie brock).  It sucks, but the overall roster progress is worth more to me.  

I would LOVE to see a good fix to this problem, especially for 5*s.  But i am not too hopeful now that demi has done 5* h4h.  In the meantime we have to adapt.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been around since Sentry's release.. I still have not champed Iceman.. he's been sitting at 2/20/2 forever! I just keep pulling Blue as if it were my favorite color (it is, but still!). My 4* champ was Thor but she should had been champed months before.. freaking 2/15/4 for forever. It's the worst feeling to continually open covers you have 5 of over and over