The conspiracy theorists.....

tfcrazy1980
tfcrazy1980 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
edited November 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Im just curious, how many people think the marvel heroes debacle had a factor in these recent changes? Maybe the drop in participation and possible loss of money was the key factor or maybe the fear of the big mouse axe? Did our feedback finally get heard?Opinions?

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I doubt any of that is true. Disney and Gazillion had a falling out, it seems. Missed deadlines seems to be a prevailing theory.

I honestly don't think it means anything for Demiurge or D3, since Sega owns those companies and isn't in danger of going belly up by themselves. Gaziilion were more reliant upon Marvel and Disney to keep the game going.

Not to mention this game still keeps people playing and making money. The recent design decisions were simply not particularly popular in their current form and Demiurge are looking to improve them. That's all there is to it.
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    I think a big part of it was that the licensing deal for that game began before Disney acquired Marvel.
  • Kaeyne
    Kaeyne Posts: 68 Match Maker
    brisashi said:
    I think a big part of it was that the licensing deal for that game began before Disney acquired Marvel.

And let's be real here - Disney doesn't have the greatest track record when dealing with video games lately.

Anyone remember Disney Infinity?

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,605 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kaeyne said:
    brisashi said:

And let's be real here - Disney doesn't have the greatest track record when dealing with video games lately.

I admit I was a tiny bit surprised you didn't point at Disney choosing to let EA make ALL their Star Wars games, what with the recent Battlefront II problems.

I guess having multiple big examples just draws more attention to how Disney is doing with games.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    can someone give a summary of the Marvel Heroes debacle? what happened?
  • madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    JHawkInc said:
    Kaeyne said:
    brisashi said:

I admit I was a tiny bit surprised you didn't point at Disney choosing to let EA make ALL their Star Wars games, what with the recent Battlefront II problems.

I guess having multiple big examples just draws more attention to how Disney is doing with games.
    One of EA's community managers comment on Reddit got 680,000 downvotes. I think the whole SWBF2 debacle was more EA's fault than Disney's. To put it in perspective, the earlier record for highest downvotes was 24,000.

The devs were being heckled for the fact that the game required insane amounts of grinding or insane amounts of micro transaction to complete the content available at initial release (Remind you of some other game, lol?). That was after paying an up front fee to buy the game, and not considering the future content. And main point was that the paywall characters were hugely overpowered.
  • Kaeyne
    Kaeyne Posts: 68 Match Maker

madoctor said:
    JHawkInc said:
    Kaeyne said:
    brisashi said:

One of EA's community managers comment on Reddit got 680,000 downvotes. I think the whole SWBF2 debacle was more EA's fault than Disney's. To put it in perspective, the earlier record for highest downvotes was 24,000.

The devs were being heckled for the fact that the game required insane amounts of grinding or insane amounts of micro transaction to complete the content available at initial release (Remind you of some other game, lol?). That was after paying an up front fee to buy the game, and not considering the future content. And main point was that the paywall characters were hugely overpowered.

I assume your grinding point is meant as a joke, because I don't think you can compare a casual F2P game with a $60 big budget triple-a title. Sure, even games like Battlefront or Fallout or Witcher etc. have some sort of grinding but not to the extent the new Star Wars thing makes it out.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    Im just curious, how many people think the marvel heroes debacle had a factor in these recent changes? Maybe the drop in participation and possible loss of money was the key factor or maybe the fear of the big mouse axe? Did our feedback finally get heard?Opinions?
    I think it had nothing to do with it.

I think was soley a financial decision.

Big spenders stopped spending, game reverts, money continues to flow (they hope)
  • bOmbast
    bOmbast Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Not entirely sure the big spenders stopped spending. Many small spenders might have, though. 
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    sh81 said:

Big spenders stopped spending, game reverts, money continues to flow (they hope)
    There are other reasons why some big time spenders are not spending as well.  There are some major cheats in the game right now that have not been addressed yet. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    sh81 said:

There are other reasons why some big time spenders are not spending as well.  There are some major cheats in the game right now that have not been addressed yet. 
    Perhaps so, but I think its not unfair to take a guess and say spending was down predominantly because of high roster players throwing a tantrum
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    I know for a fact they are because well I talk to them.  It's not a tantrum.  It is a fact of some shady stuff going on.  The Line community shares this information and tried to get Demi and D3 involved to close those cheats and remove the cheaters from the game.  It has not been succuesful as of late dating back to the BH exploit in March. 
  • madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    Kaeyne said:

madoctor said:
    JHawkInc said:
    Kaeyne said:
    brisashi said:

I assume your grinding point is meant as a joke, because I don't think you can compare a casual F2P game with a $60 big budget triple-a title. Sure, even games like Battlefront or Fallout or Witcher etc. have some sort of grinding but not to the extent the new Star Wars thing makes it out.

Grinding point was not a joke. Calculations estimated the game needed over 4500 hours of grinding to unlock it all (Talking about Battlefront II BTW). 4500 hours is not a joke...
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Coincidence is not correlation here I think.

Disney may ultimately control both games, but different dev studios (And different pubs too I think).  Seems unlikely that bad stuff in one dev/pub bucket would be so quickly translated into in-game changes in another dev/pub bucket.

It seems way more likely that the PVP changes just tanked player engagement in PVP.  everyone in the competitive alliances saw how steeply scores fell off during the season.  basically every bracket from CL5 up to 8 had 10-15 high scores chasing CP, and everyone sitting at 700 or below.  Commanders that used to look for merc scores in the 750+ range were only able to find 400-600 scores, and even that was getting hard by the end of the season  What ever effect wins-based PVP had on spending, such a precipitous drop off in player activity can't be good for game long-term.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,737 Chairperson of the Boards
    What we can learn is that if new characters/content drops off a cliff, it’s time to be very concerned about the future of the game.

Welcome, MEH!  May your meh-ness be buffed in 3-6 months.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:

It seems way more likely that the PVP changes just tanked player engagement in PVP.  everyone in the competitive alliances saw how steeply scores fell off during the season.  basically every bracket from CL5 up to 8 had 10-15 high scores chasing CP, and everyone sitting at 700 or below.  Commanders that used to look for merc scores in the 750+ range were only able to find 400-600 scores, and even that was getting hard by the end of the season  What ever effect wins-based PVP had on spending, such a precipitous drop off in player activity can't be good for game long-term.
    Would that not be a good thing? Separate out casual players and vets. I never liked the concepts of mercs anyway. Have players form teams with like minded members who have the same goal. Promote team building.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,737 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Pongie   Vhailorx’s point was to support the idea of a drop in activity among a large number of players with anecdotal evidence.

Mercs and alliance switching is a thing that many would prefer was not part of the game, but that’s a different topic. It would require reward changes, among other things.
  • nonnel1
    nonnel1 Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    And I thought this was a post for other tinfoil hat conversations.   Putting the popcorn away
  • Michaelcles
    Michaelcles Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    Disney is pulling out of Netflix to start their own streaming service.

if you can do that (huge investment $$&), why wouldn’t you create your own app company,

You all should demand to know how much longer D3 has the license to the Marvel characters.  That may be the end of this game.