[iOS] App is immediately killed when suspending (merged threads) (Android also affected?)

DeNappa
DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
When making a move on the bottom part of the screen during today's DDQ, I accidentally kept going with my finger and hit the 'home' button. After switching back to MPQ, it had to restart, and I lost my match by default.

Now, I know I don't have the latest of ipad models, but this is a bit ridiculous. Even more because recently, memory management of the app had improved a lot; (in ~R137 or R138 or so, MPQ was restored after sleep very well).

Comments

• supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    just after this update today, in 50% of the times I taskswitched in iOS 11 (iPhone 6 Plus) to the LINE App, MPQ quits.

before I could manage alliance chat while playing, this now kills it.

would be great if you can fix RAM usage to make it possible again. I am quitting „proper“ MPQ this PVP season due to the 40-wins. Would be nice to have this issue patched at the time you fix PVP grindyness to acceptable levels again.
  • guzktgui
    guzktgui Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    I can confirm that if this is a bug, is an iOS 11 bug not an MPQ one because it happens with any other app (not just MPQ)
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've seen this off an on and it's super annoying when it happens.  I have noticed it happens say more in low power mode, I think low power mode kills suspend, but I think I've also seen it outside of this.

I suspect this is more an OS issue than anything the devs here can change.
  • DeNappa
    Well, to be honest I haven't updated the OS version of my ipad in quite some time, it's still running on iOS8.x or so. Seeing that as the constant factor in this case, I think it's really MPQ to blame.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor

I've noticed that it helps when I restart my device from time to time.

My theory is that the game's just a huge memory hog and thus often the first thing to get thrown out (and its process killed) if the OS needs to give some memory to another program.

• Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hey guys, would you mind telling me the make, model, and OS versions of the devices you are encountering this problem with so that I can pass the info along to the team? 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    DeNappa said:
    Well, to be honest I haven't updated the OS version of my ipad in quite some time, it's still running on iOS8.x or so. Seeing that as the constant factor in this case, I think it's really MPQ to blame.
    If there's a problem playing MPQ with a version old enough and only that version they're less likely to fix it also...  I heard the last patch ended their support of Windows XP.  Not sure how far their willing to back support old mobile OSs. Since they're updates are free, I doubt they go back as far.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's definitely going to be a bigger issue over time as iOS takes more and more memory all by itself.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was experiencing this problem on an Apple iPhone 6s, running iOS 11.1.2.

A few days ago, I swapped my phone for an iPhone X, also running 11.1.2, and the game is far more stable when multitasking.  I was even able to play Super Mario Run, another resource-intensive game, and then return to MPQ without it reloading.

It's possible this is just because I have a fresh install going on the new phone, but more likely its because the iPhone X has 50% more RAM than the 6s (3GB versus 2GB).
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    iPhone 7, iOS 11.1.2.  Happens frequently. 
  • Yakiyasai
    Yakiyasai Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    iPhone 7, iOS 11.1.2.  Happens infrequently.
    I have a crash report (.ips) file exported from my device.
    (It was from R138, so bit outdated)
  • DeNappa
    Don't know the exact one, but it's an older iPad mini model -- either 1 or 2. However, as per @Starfury 's advice I gave the tablet a reboot and I can confirm it helped mitigate the problem.
  • Dayv
    DeNappa said:
    Don't know the exact one, but it's an older iPad mini model -- either 1 or 2. However, as per @Starfury 's advice I gave the tablet a reboot and I can confirm it helped mitigate the problem.
    iPad Mini 1 and 2 both have only 512MB of RAM, so resource competition for multitasking is very tight.
  • Dayv
    **As always, I am just a fellow player.  I do not work for D3 or Demiurge, and my opinions and advice are my oewn.**

After discussing this with other players, one of whom has an iPhone 7 Plus (which has the same amount of memory as my iPhone X), I no longer think the extra RAM on my new phone compared to my old one is what fixed this.  I think it was a fresh install on a new device and re-downloading my save data from Facebook that cleaned things up.  Perhaps some stale or outdated app assets or save file data from earlier client versions were being loaded with the current assets, and increased MPQ's memory footprint until this clean install?

If you attempt this, be aware you do it at your own risk, and make sure you verify your backup is saved to Facebook first!  You'll also need to delete all stored MPQ app data on the phone.  In iOS this is done in the "storage" section of the iPhone/iPad settings menu.  I think you need to do this before deleting the app.  Then delete the app, reboot your device (probably unnecessary, but it can't hurt), and reinstall the app from the store.  Log in with facebook and reload your save.  (Thankfully, I found that restoring from a Facebook save is much simpler now.)

For Android users the process should be similar, but I'm less familiar with the details.

If you do attempt this, please post here to let us know whether it improved things.
  • Dayv
    I have also heard some Android users say they have seen this as well, and the problem seems to have come in after an app update.  I updated the app and my iOS version the same day, so I suspected iOS.