Forum Thread

aesthetocyst
aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
Forum post.

Comments

• Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    An obvious drawback to this plan, if you can get boards with little chance of firing an active power then it just hands even more power to passives and batteries, is that really what we need right now?
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    With passives (like Gambit's black) going in the direction they are, soon we won't need any colors. We won't even need a board. You'll just throw 3 characters out there and not do a thing as all their passives resolve and a winner is declared.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wonder what effect this would have on characters whose strongest color is tied to a passive ability... you could bring this character to a board where their strongest color isn't present, and probably nullify most enemy "strongest color" powers. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Depends on the passive, I guess. Pheremone Rage (Or The Hunger, and etc...) would presumably be pretty bad on a board with no Red tiles.

I wonder if, in the end, this would just take too much work (and I'm just talking as a player) for not that much gain.

Presumably the player doesn't get to choose the environment they play on every time; I'm envisioning many new feel-bad moments when your one high level character (first 3*, first 3* champ, first 4* etc...) or only boosted character for the week can't be used in a key mission because the environment doesn't work out. 4* Blade is pretty shut out on a board with no Red tiles, which (in the absence of any weighted colors), would be half of them. That's only one example, but I'm sure it's not an outlier.

In short, I think it's a neat idea, but I think it challenges some of the core assumptions made about the game when pretty much all abilities were designed and developed, so it would probably require a complete redesign of a lot of the parts of the game.

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can see now bugs where the wrong colors come up in the wrong environments and you're out of luck because you intentionally devalued those colors.

It's an interesting idea, but that seems like that would be a major technical overhaul for not a lot of value.  I'd rather they spend their time on something else and save and idea for that for MPQ 2: The Search for More Money
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wonder what effect this would have on characters whose strongest color is tied to a passive ability... you could bring this character to a board where their strongest color isn't present, and probably nullify most enemy "strongest color" powers. 
    True, this would make passives even more valuable (apparently), as they would travel better than actives.

Unless, perhaps, the passives don't work unless their color is present?  Imagine the yellowlesness of... uh... Forest in the summertime?  OML can't heal or rage.  Rocket can't weaponize everything around him.  It's just too serene.

They'd have to come up with a new way to do MMR.  People with lopsided rosters on the edge of tier transitions would be totally hosed when their strongest characters are autonerfed.  It does sound like a much more interesting game, strategy-wise.  I like the way your brain wheels rotate.