This game is full of misconceptions

2»

Comments

• Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dax317 said:
    The biggest misconception that I see on a daily basis, especially on this forum, is that there is only ONE RIGHT way to play this game. You have to do it these certain pre-determined ways or you are wrong. 
    The misconception there is usually on the person being told they're wrong.  The frame of that criticism, every time I've seen it, is someone being told they are playing non-optimally.  And every time I have seen it, that is objectively true.  The person being told this tends to take it as "you're playing it wrong", which they are not.

Playing for enjoyment, or "the best way for you" is subjective, and frequently, by choice or necessity, varies from optimal play.  The argument for what constitutes optimal play is something entirely different, and is not subject to personal preference.  It's just a numbers thing.

It doesn't help that the numbers folks tend to be terse.  Their aggravation is that those presenting their own "best way" are doing so in a way that implies it is the optimal way, which can misinform and aggravate newer players who may want to know the most efficient route to resources, so they can employ some or all of that strategy into their own play.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    D4Ni13 said:
    Disclaimer: Everyone plays as he wants  
    *or she
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    That there right above me.  Play the way you play and be happy with the way it pays out.  :)  If you're not happy with your rewards...  Well, there are PAGES of advice to follow.  :)

I know how to play optimally.  But especially on weekend nights, I'll hit my 5/6th clears the night before because sleeping in is more valuable to me.  And that's ok.
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    Dormammu said:
    Deadpool calls them purple. And he's like an authority, or something.
    Except... Gwenpool calls them pink.

So...  idk.

They're labeled as purple in the tile color references - that's what I go by.

And as for OPs post about misconceptions... sure, you play that way, I'll play how I want (T5 PvP, T25 PvE). Do I gain pleasure from that? Absolutely.

Does it annoy me when the developers make fundamental changes that affect my ability to achieve that goal? Absolutely.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you colour pick a screenshot of the purple tiles, they're almost exactly even red and blue.

And I dunno about any of you but my college taught me red and blue makes purple.
  • Dotproduct
    Dotproduct Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    alaeth said:

And as for OPs post about misconceptions... sure, you play that way, I'll play how I want (T5 PvP, T25 PvE). Do I gain pleasure from that? Absolutely.

Does it annoy me when the developers make fundamental changes that affect my ability to achieve that goal? Absolutely.

You are talking about achieving a goal (i.e. getting to the location), the OP is talking about enjoying the journey there. You enjoy getting T5, you do not currently enjoy your playing requirements to get there.
  • BlackWidower
    BlackWidower Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    broll said:

Looking for a response image I found this:

So Magenta is the official color then?  Maybe we can end the pink/purple debate finally.  LOL JK no one's gonna call it Magenta...
    I think they're actually more Fuchsia. 

You think Magenta is bad - can you even imagine the spelling?
    - "Dude, not the fewsha trap tiles"

Or worse, the pronunciation
    - "Bro, I hate the Fux-see-ah traps."

God No.

• Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    Maybe you can't catch up because you aren't going for the rewards, all the characters, or "player rank".  Whatever that is.  "You'll be bored" is a terrible reason to not want to achieve something.  You can catch up.  People aren't where they are today because every single person who started playing before them all quit.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    @aesthetocyst - when it gets to that level of complicated, I come here to get AWAY from work.

- sez the woman who picked magenta to use for a particular license except it only works if it is pure and vibrant magenta anything else is an affront to the character. And the factories and I are driving each other nuts over me "No, that's too pink, I need it to be redder." "No, now it's just red. I need it to be between that and the last sample." "Okay, we're in the right range, but now I need more saturation."

[stomping off to bed]
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    Ruinate said:
    Maybe you can't catch up because you aren't going for the rewards, all the characters, or "player rank".  Whatever that is.  "You'll be bored" is a terrible reason to not want to achieve something.  You can catch up.  People aren't where they are today because every single person who started playing before them all quit.
    You didn't understand what I said. I didn't said people didn't progress. I said that if players A & B did the same effort in playing (this includes money, planning, competing, and so on) and player A was ahead of player B at the start, there is no way that player B can catch up with A. They will both progress into tiers, but never be the same, unless one of them has a better or weaker effort invested at some point. That's why I said that you actually don't compete with other players, but your own progression, like a heroes tycoon.

And you got me wrong with the achieving and boring part. I didn't say you should not achieve a certain progression or do not strive for it. But I did say to not over-hurry there, because max progression in such a game could mean lose of enjoyment & motivation. And I did say this because it may not be obvious to a lot of people, and I've been there in another game, and it's not fun as most think. 

I also didn't say for one second that one should play in one way or another. I just said that if your goals are based on these facts (that I believe are misconceptions) chances are that you will do things because other people told you to or you read on forums, and not that you really want that, and you might lose enjoyment in the game. It does not necessarily have to be like that though. You might enjoy shield hopping and infinite-tapping. Or joining a slice at precise timing and timing your clears in PvE. But I don't. And so many other don't. People are different. That doesn't mean that you cannot talk about the game at a more balanced point of view. 

I encourage everyone to play at the level of dedication they want and not over-exhaust themselves doing as competitive players say it is optimal, because there is no rush to get to the top of the top, as more 5* players talk here how bad it is to play at that level, because on one hand that part of the game has some problems, and on the other hand maybe they entered that level of play too soon. I don't know & I don't judge. It doesn't matter if you play optimal or not, but it does matter if you enjoy yourself. This is a game, not a second job.

And everybody talks about optimal play, but few on how to choose what's right for you. Knowing this facts (misconceptions or not) would help players to decide what to choose for themselves. This is not a matter of someone is right & someone is wrong, but looking at both ends of the spectrum.