Am I a pessimist?

Options
babar3355
babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards

At fist the midweek coalition event was removed seemingly in error.  Then it was kept off to make way for a new "Halloween" schedule.  Now for the third week in a row we are not getting a PvP coalition event at all.

The optimist in me is hoping that they are just focusing on other things and that the event scheduling is a low priority.

The pessimist in me is wondering if this event was permanently removed both to put a smaller focus on coalitions and to reduce the amount of prizes that players get both from progression, individual placements and coalition placements. Will we even get a 2nd coalition event once Ixalan is released? 

Last week I was leaning optimistic.  This week I am swinging to the pessimist side of the equation.

Comments

• deletedgone
    deletedgone Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Options
    You are not alone.
  • TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Who knows maybe they are working on a weird November event.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's difficult to imagine just how bad Hibernum's code must have been that Oktagon still can't figure out how to automate an event schedule within/around it.
  • tfg76
    tfg76 Posts: 258 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don´t think you´re too pessimistic.

The messaging around the lack of HoR ("Halloween" events) is clearly an excuse for something else that´s going on (perhaps the servers can´t handle the load of large-bracket events?). I wish they would just be open about that rather than coming up with silly excuses.

Event scheduling should not require any implementation or testing, so let´s not blame that on Oktagon.
  • Abenjes
    Abenjes Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    there are issues with the events, take a look at fateful showdown, Cast out is back to auto casting, what ever is going on its because they are fixing things that are broken and wont release it if it doesn't work. this has to be a good thing even if we are bored **** in the meantime.
  • TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    shteev said:
    It's difficult to imagine just how bad Hibernum's code must have been that Oktagon still can't figure out how to automate an event schedule within/around it.
    If I were to guess, a schedule system with no option to repeat, or in order to alter the repeats it requires a total schedule rewrite. Or there are other systems that are higher priority.
  • babar3355
    Options
    Abenjes said:
    there are issues with the events, take a look at fateful showdown, Cast out is back to auto casting, what ever is going on its because they are fixing things that are broken and wont release it if it doesn't work. this has to be a good thing even if we are bored **** in the meantime.
    I am not opining for quick releases of new content.  I am speculating that the community got another middle-finger from D3 & Co. by removing the weekly PvP coalition event. 
  • Abenjes
    Abenjes Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    babar3355 said:
    Abenjes said:
    there are issues with the events, take a look at fateful showdown, Cast out is back to auto casting, what ever is going on its because they are fixing things that are broken and wont release it if it doesn't work. this has to be a good thing even if we are bored tinykitty in the meantime.
    I am not opining for quick releases of new content.  I am speculating that the community got another middle-finger from D3 & Co. by removing the weekly PvP coalition event. 

we'll just have to wait and see I suppose. that'd be a shame as the coalitions seem to be the only thing holding this community together
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I remember when hor was up people were saying "take it down and fix it already". Now they've taken it down to fix and now we're all "they took it down, the monsters"

Regarding cast out, anybody who comes fresh to the game would think that not autocasting is the bug as its not consistent with how the rest of the game works. I still think it's a silly idea. 
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Supports should automatically cast for the sake of consistency, i agree. Trial of Ambition doesn't give you the luxury of letting you keep it in your hand if you choose not to target any creature upon casting. 
  • shteev
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    I remember when hor was up people were saying "take it down and fix it already". Now they've taken it down to fix and now we're all "they took it down, the monsters"
    I too remember when some people said one thing, and some different people said another thing.
  • luckyvulpi
    luckyvulpi Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    Options
    If I had to guess, I'd assume that they just forgot about it.  It's much more realistic that they changed the schedule and forgot to change it back rather than them specifically remembering that there were 2 coalition events each week and then making a conscience effort to not change it back to reduce rewards given out
  • Sirchombli
    Sirchombli Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't mean to be that guy, but I highly doubt that this is some manner of conspiratorial middle finger from d3 and/oktagon. The game is floundering. That would be suicide. Things are obviously going to be weird for a while. They've told us as much, and so far it's been the truth. Do we really need a new "d3 did this now!!" every other day. Bright basically told us to shut up and wait. They've made improvements. This group is impossible to please. We get fast train wreck, or slowly fixed. Is anybody really missing their dupe rare and handful of jewels they don't want to use? 
  • shteev
    Options
    Do we really need a new "d3 did this now!!" every other day.
    Probably not, but with a dearth of new content in the game, you can't really expect to see a lot in the forums, either.

Make some threads! You could even start some positive ones! Maybe write about some aspect of design you like? Or start a forum game!
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Am I the only one who is actually happy the midweek coalition event is (temporarily) gone? I like the choices of events that are currently presented and I have always hated the "four nodes with impossible objectives" coalition events.
  • gogol666
    gogol666 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    What if Oktagon is focusing on having a system they can fully control and, to achieve this, they just keep running the same tested events over and over just not to add to the mess?
    Let's wait for their first real patch and see what happens and then we will start complaining ;-)
  • babar3355
    Options
    Ohboy said:

Am I going to get called a hypocrite if they nerf Koth and I disagree with the decision? Hope not because I wasn't those people nor am I the people you are referring to above.

Anyway, I am hopeful that my optimistic view is correct.  But with the absence of communication and D3's history, it's just hard to retain faith.

• majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Abenjes said:
    there are issues with the events, take a look at fateful showdown, Cast out is back to auto casting, what ever is going on its because they are fixing things that are broken and wont release it if it doesn't work. this has to be a good thing even if we are bored tinykitty in the meantime.
    Is cast out really doing that? When they "fixed" it last time it still auto cast if there were no creatures in the field.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Abenjes said:
    that is wierd. cast out does not autocast for me. if i choose cancel, it stays in my hand. 
  • Thésée
    Thésée Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Abenjes said:
    that is wierd. cast out does not autocast for me. if i choose cancel, it stays in my hand. 

Cast Out still does autocast if there are no creatures on board. You are not asked if you want to cast it or not.

If there is at least one, on opponent's side or yours, it works correctly

Edit : sorry I hadn't seen Majincob's post who made the same observation