4* DDQ: The Son of Coul vs Doctor of the Strange

Quebbster
Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
So how did everyone do?
One-on-one, some Faltines damage is unavoidable, so I just tried to focus on yellow and teamup AP. Called for Backup and then speeded up the countdowns. Wasn't too difficult, but Coulson is one of my higher level champions.
Odd choice of opponent though. Is there any connection between them I am not aware of?

Comments

• granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Nope. I was expecting Quake or Bobbi or Cap. 

I haven't tried it yet, but my Coulson is lvl 306 or something, so I'm reasonably confident.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:
    Hands. Both got injured, but regained their functions differently.
    OK. I assume that happens in the many episodes of Agents of SHIELD I haven't watched.
    Still would have prefered Mockingbird though. Her yellow could be an interesting counter to Phil's purple.
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    Champed lvl 283 Coulson. He's not a big hitter and gets punished for the little he can do. First time none of his colors for a long while. Then some purple to yellow and Call the cavalry. I got cocky and fired a blue, missing that strange was down to 23, I was well under 1000 and died of course. Next time I got him with some 356 health left. LT was a third 5* Gambit that took him to 1/1/1. Neat.
  • CyberVenom2001
    CyberVenom2001 Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Lvl 277 Coulson here. For the most part, the board didn't give me anything I needed. Which is kind of a good thing, so I wouldn't use powers and get punished by Strange for it. Near the end of the battle, got a purple match 5 that led to a second purple match 5. A few purple uses later, Strange was down and I had around 2800 health left. Token netted a somewhat ironic purple Coulson to bring him to 278.
  • Uncletas
    Uncletas Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Wow. I actually had a bit of a tough time with this one, even with a champed Coulson. Mostly because every match I made gave the game a 4 match that dropped.  Grrrr.  Strange stunned me and then got to cast his yellow, since I thought it was only a passive but in this match he can use ap to fire it for 4700 damage. Deny blue and yellow and you should be good but it still can be a tough battle. 
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Ah, a fight against 5trange, AKA Match of Attrition. Got him first try with my temporarily respeced 5/5/3 Level 279. Finished with about 6400 health left. Token to the hoard.

I called for backup once, but then he put out the Eye of Agamotto, so I really didn't see much benefit from the strike tiles. All the CDs went off though, which took a decent chunk of health from the Sorcerer Supreme. A Best Laid Plans at the end of the match sealed the deal.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    My son won his first Clash ever on this one with his 2/3/3 Coulson.  Since abilities wouldn't do much and only hurt you, I suggested he put everything into Match Damage bonuses.  On his fifth try, he finally got it done.  He pulled a G4mora cover to make her 1/1/1, which will help in the Enemy of the State event.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I went in a bit cocky with my 277 Coulson. We traded match damage for a bit then he got me with his blue. That hurt a bit so I did my yellow and naturally he fired Eye of Agamotto right after to kill off my strike. That's fine, I still have more health and he was down to about 500 health aaaaand then he fired his blue again. RIP Coulson.

Round 2. A lot of match damage from both of us but he never was able to get anything off outside of the occasional Flames. Barely was able to beat him and got a Coulson for my troubles.
  • Friarbundy
    Friarbundy Posts: 118 Tile Toppler
    Got it with a 147 Coulson boosted to the max.  Finished with a swap to get a crit hit.  Fifth or sixth attempts to do it, but who’s counting.  Red Carmage for my troubles.
  • rocks52
    rocks52 Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Level 294 5/5/3 Coulson.  Was able to go after yellow early, a regular match dropped a match 4 to set me up with a quick 7.  Once I got Call the Cavalry, i weathered his faltines, then the expiring CD tiles made quick work of 5trange.  Finished with over 12000 health

LT got me Mockingbird red bringing her to 5/2/5.  She's finally filling out nicely after her first 4 covers were purple and she probably got to 0/1/7 before finally getting non-purple covers
  • Dataspectre
    Dataspectre Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    edited November 2017
    Won a tricky first try with L286 4/5/4 Coulson no boosts, Could've respec his powers to 5/5/3 for an extra sniper on the board, which I forgot to, went with the flow.

The board with fill'd with blues and yellows, denied those colors while building up his laid plans (purple). Fired his Call the Cavalry, stop'd for a bit to search for a 5-match tile, which are a group of purples and then match'd a couple of team ups to expired Cavalry's CD quickly. Strange died by a sniper shot.

LT saved.

Edit: fix'd some sentences, lack of coffee :\
  • TheHungryPet
    TheHungryPet Posts: 229 Tile Toppler
    Won first try with my L277 4/5/4 Coulson, no boosts.

Deny blue at all cost and then go after yellow, then purple. Fired off a Call the Cavalry, then stole his AP with Super Secret Tech. Finally killed him with Best Laid Plans.

Token to the hoard!
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Got it on the first try with a 4/5/4 Lv272 Coulson and no boosts.  The board was blue-starved, which helped.  Fired his yellow once and finished him off with the purple.  Strange was an odd choice here, but whatever.

LT gave me a blue Jean Grey (champ level to 272) and a bonus red Mockingbird (now 4/0/3).  In the past two seasons, my LT's have been 90+% older characters with the balance as 5's and latest 12.  My Mockingbird would be 1/0/2 if she wasn't my BH and poor Lockjaw is still sitting at his lone PVE progression cover, as is
    Rogue until I finish my run on Shield Simulator.  I'm sure the odds will even out over time, but this current run is really starving some of the new guys and gals...
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    4/5/4 lv.283

Seeing Coulson start with twice the Hps of Strange was nice. Mostly just matched making sure to get blue first. Eventually fired a few powers and the match was won before Strange ever activated any abilities.

Token to the hoard.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    281 5/5/3 got it first try with no trouble.

Focused on gathering Yellow and Purple. He got his Blue off but it wasn't too bad (Coulson has a ton of health). Eventually I got off his Yellow, and when all the tiles resolved he had 2k health left. Purple then finished him.

LT gave me a Purple Kingpin cover. He' 5/3/5. 1000 Iso it is.
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    271 Coulson 5/5/3  The Faltine going off got me the first time and almost did it again the 2nd.  Barely won that, especially since the board was not yellow-friendly.  Anyway, I got an Elektra, was hoping for Bobbi.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    He's my highest level character at 279 5/5/3, but yeah, weird matchup. Denied blue hard, then went for yellow and purple. Got a little sketchy when he managed to fire Crimson Bands, and I probably should have prioritized purple over yellow, but still pulled it out first try.

Token waiting for Thor.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    First go with my 2/4/5 Coulson. I boosted match damage and then beat him down with blue yellow and purple matches without firing a power.

Token was a purple Medusa which didn’t help my 3/3/5 Medusa. Seem to be on a bad run of unneeded covers for my 4*s lately, even though 90% of covers would be usable.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    First attempt and win (with a champed Coulson)! Collected purple, yellow and blue then fired them in convenient time and places. First fired purple power to get match-5, then yellow and then blue to steal more purple to fire it again! So Strange hit me only 4 times.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Second attempt for my 274 5/5/3 Coulson. I had him down to 38 HP on the first try. On the second try I managed to do a lot better, and took him out with more than half of my health remaining. My reward was a red Winter Soldier - not something that made me jump for joy, but at least it was usable, bringing the Buckarino to a pretty well-rounded 3/4/4.