PVP Season final Progression is lower?

bluewolf
bluewolf Posts: 5,737 Chairperson of the Boards
Note:  This is not another "I hate PVP changes" thread, I hope.  It is an observation that may give some insight.

In past seasons, the final season progression reward (15 CP) was at 10,000 points.  Digression:  I am aware that many players consider the season rewards kind of silly and not really worth pushing for.  They are mostly an extra reward after achieving progression in the different events etc.  But they are there as a carrot, so worth considering when the carrot changes as follows.

So, to reach 10,000 for the season, you needed to hit around 850 points on average across 10 events along with 2000 (the 4*) in simulator.  Most players do not shield out in simulator, so hitting around 850 would probably make up for your drop in Simulator after hitting 2000 and stopping.  You could very well hit 900 in each event, and be hit down and shield, and score high enough for the 10K prize.  (I did this a lot during the past year.)

Now, the season max progression prize is only at 340 wins.  Across 10 events, that could be 34 wins each event, on average.  If you want to hit 74 simulator wins for the 4*, that leaves 266 or 26 wins per events.  Hit the 3* at 28 and you're good.  Or hit 40 on 4 events, the CP in one, and skip the rest.  Mix and match.

So, it is interesting that the progression requirements for the season do not require you to not hit near-4* progression in every event to achieve them.

Is this a subtle acknowledgement that the season progression rewards were not really working as a carrot, when placed so high?  So they reduced the requirements to boost the appeal?

Or a subtle acknowledgement that the play requirements to hit 40 in every event are actually not expected to be sustainable across an entire season?  Much feedback from the tests was given that 40 wins felt like too much, so maybe it is the latter.

I am hopeful that the reward system is in a state of flux based on this (unannounced, that I am aware of) change in the season rewards.

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    So I am at 10816 points for the season with 247 wins.  The progression does not seem lower or easier in the season.  The reality was many players 3*-5* used to hit 2k in sim because of the MMR.  If anything the final win total should be lower than it currently is.  I will probably need to grind sim at the end of the season to hit the final progression and that kind of sucks.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    I'm at 6600ish points with only 17 wins left. Make of it what you will...
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    204 wins, 6659 points. Haven't used many shields this season and haven't been playing like I used to. Haven't gotten all the 4* covers like I normally would have....
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    I will say I expect to hit full season progression, when I usually didn’t before.  

With win-based progression it’s easier to skip some events, or at least just do 16 wins for 10 CP, and make it up in other events.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    10k/38 points = 263 matches.
  • J0nnythejig
    J0nnythejig Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    I used to always get 10k Season prog,  now I’ve given up on progression entirely,  I’m sat on 4963 with 109 wins but on the flip side,  I just climb late and dropped to SCL5 and have been T10 in every event so I’m now getting more CP than ever....swings & roundabouts.
  • robertbah
    robertbah Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    8700+ and 515 wins so far. I guess that I do too many sim battles. I just spend all my packs in sim before I go to bed. That accumulates very fast. Also, thanks for lots of ppl trading hits with me. Lost many partners after “LR season” is over. I guess that most of them reach 74 wins already.
  • Zalasta
    Zalasta Posts: 285 Mover and Shaker
    I'm really hating the commitment required to attain the same reward levels from the previous format. Everything seems to require more grind. Simulator is just a nightmare. I don't think I can continue this season after season. They need to significantly reduce the number of wins required to make the new format more palatable. Or at the very least, have defensive wins add to your win count.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    I did sim a couple of times, only when the 4* was one I REALLY wanted.

In my efforts to improve in PVP and chase the 4* (with mixed success) I found I was getting to the Heroic 10 pack the last few seasons relatively comfortably.

This season I have:

317 wins, 4425 points.  So by the time I play the Hulk event I will hit full progression.

Im also ranked #660, so not even close to competitive over the season.

Ive made 40 wins in each event, but not bothered shielding at all. 

I have found I have been getting rewards at much lower point thresholds, 10cp at 400+ points for example.  Im pretty sure I was at about 750 when I got the Ghost Rider cover.

Currently #157 on Ghost Rider with 395 points.