Where can I find a reliable 5* ranking?

Options
Badgerpie
Badgerpie Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
i’ve got a stack of latest legend tokens and I can’t find a recent ranking to know when to cash in and who to favourite. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• JarvisJackrabbit
    JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Xenodragon has a Google doc ranking every character, but it hasn't been updated since July. :-(
  • Copps
    Copps Posts: 333 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Gambit followed by bolt and thanos. Thor dd and Parker are all pretty good so either way you want to pull your horde this week or next. 
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Also, Thor will most certainly be a PVE 5-Star essential as soon as he enters Latest Tokens, so keep that in mind as well.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Is Gambit now the best 5* in the game? Or is it still Black Bolt?

Just asking. I'm nowhere near 5* yet.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,175 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Anon said:
    Is Gambit now the best 5* in the game? Or is it still Black Bolt?

Just asking. I'm nowhere near 5* yet.
    Atm, Gambit is far and away the best character in the game, let alone 5* land. Sure, Bolt passively produces Charged tiles, and deals passive damage with enough Charged tiles, but Gambit generates AP without you having to do anything! Bolt still requires you to actually match tiles to accumulate AP, which is a total dinosaur. Sure, Remy prevents his own teammates from using Red or Purple, but that doesn't really matter when Gambit's own Red and Purple hit like trucks.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 692 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Here's my guess, although the only ones I have at a usable level are Phoenix, Black Bolt, Green Goblin and Silver Surfer.

Top tier: Gambit, any build with 5 in the passive

then

Thanos
    Hawkeye
    Phoenix, currently bumped up due to Gambit
    Thor
    BP
    Black Bolt
    Peter Parker
    Black Widow
    Dr Strange
    Green Goblin
    Iron Man
    Black Suit Spider-Man
    Steve
    Daredevil
    Wolverine
    Silver Surfer

a gap in the quality here

Star-Lord
    Doctor Octopus, just ignore his green power

another gap to get to the bottom tier:

Bruce Banner
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Xenodragon has a Google doc ranking every character, but it hasn't been updated since July. :-(
    Also, Xenodragon's rankings were given too much weight by the community, in my opinion.  I disagreed heavily with several of their judgments.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Best over all 5's in the game are all in the LT

Minus thanos and Black bolt.

Thor is looking to be a potential problem also.

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Badgerpie said:
    i’ve got a stack of latest legend tokens and I can’t find a recent ranking to know when to cash in and who to favourite. Any advice appreciated.
    If you're looking to do it soon, I'd recommend pulling after Thor replaces Spidey on Monday.  Spidey is good, but a little complicated to use at his very best without a web-tile-making partner.  On top of that, he only has two offensive abilities, and one of those is locked out by Gambit.  His passive and blue are largely used to set up the best effects for red and green (the stun is great too).  Thor has three offensive abilities, with one locked out by Gambit, and a passive that further speeds AP acquisition if he's at half health.  Without details on who might replace Daredevil, it's hard to say whether to wait further, but the combo of Gambit and Thor will be a powerhouse, possibly to a game-breaking* degree.

* Gambit is already game-breaking, IMO.  I endorse a nerf-bat.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The ones that are truly gamebreaking in one way or another are Gambit, Black Bolt, and Thanos. Strange is probably really good against goons, I guess, but he's meh otherwise. I'm finding Daredevil to be pretty great, but to get the most out of him you need to keep him hovering at half health, which is a risky proposition when a match-5 against you can mean 12k+ damage.

Honestly, people still rate Surfer really low, but I'd put him at least in the middle of the pack. He doesn't deal huge individual hits, but his longevity and charged tile production make him really useful, in my opinion. The stun immunity also makes him an effective counter to certain annoying setups - lookin' at you, People In Balance of Power Using That Obnoxious Spidergwen/Gambattery Nonsense.

Without putting TOO much thought into it, here's how I'd tentatively rate everyone:

Gambit (God Mode Activated)
    Thanos
    Black Bolt
    Daredevil
    Green Goblin (his black hits like a damn train and AP steal + CD protection, yes please)
    Phoenix
    Hawkeye
    Thor (guessing here since I don't have him yet)
    Peter Parker
    Panther (really only great paired with Thanos, just pretty good otherwise)
    Silver Surfer
    Wolverine (his nerf hurt, but he's still a terror if he transforms)
    Black Widow
    Dr Strange
    5teve Rogers
    Iron Man
    Star-Lord
    Black Suit Spider-Man (Extremely weak except against strike heavy teams)
    Doctor Octopus
    Bruce Banner
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Any 5*s that are particularly good to use with 4*s? Im a long way to 5* territory but i still got some covers of each. If i want to spend some iso to 1 or maybe 2 5*s to have some fun in PvE. Who should it be?

Black Panthern looks like fun but maybe thanos is better? Im not a big fan of the own team damage tho and i do have a lvl 200 3* thanos.
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    talleman said:
    Any 5*s that are particularly good to use with 4*s? Im a long way to 5* territory but i still got some covers of each. If i want to spend some iso to 1 or maybe 2 5*s to have some fun in PvE. Who should it be?

Black Panthern looks like fun but maybe thanos is better? Im not a big fan of the own team damage tho and i do have a lvl 200 3* thanos.
    Thanos is one of the best 5* for PVE, but you will need to change his support characters (more like cannon fodder) often or use good healers. For a 4*/4*/5* team, I'd suggest Peter Parker (he works splendidly with Vulture and Miles/Gwen), OML or DD (tanks that will help you use less healthpacks).
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    talleman said:

I originally had the same misgivings about Thanos, but the more I use him the more I like him.  Some of his major strengths in PvE:
    1.  Shred thru through the easy nodes.  If you have Thanos leveled enough for high match damage you can pair him with throw away 1*/2*s and one hit win every time without losing health you care about.  if his match damage is kinda low bring a throw away 3*s or 4*s.
    2.  Shred thru goon heavy nodes paired with 3* Strange.  One of the tricks here to keep your health up is to try and get 1 enemy down to the court death damage level.  This way when you kill one of the others CD fires and kills one and mames the other, then when you kill the 3rd CD won't fire again, limiting your self damage.  Alternatively / when low health, soften all 3 of them up before firing CD, the longer before CD fires the more healing you will get from Strange making it less likely you lose any health.
    3.  Panther is a great partner for Thanos if you have a lot in his black.  His damage mitigation plus extra free damage from CD is a huge time saver also.  Alternative OML or DD for their good healing and strike tile generation.
    4.  Unless you're willing to burn through health packs for speed (which you want to do if you care about top placement) then you;re often better off not using a Thanos team for the non-easy nodes unless there is at least 1 goon and/or low health enemy.

That's pretty much how I've been doing it.  Recently brought both my Thanos and Panther to 360 to utilize them better.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,177 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    talleman said:

G4mora plays well with Daredevil, so long as you have purple. G4mora's stun adds strike or attack tiles, then Daredevil does bonus damage to any stunned characters. Or use Daredevil's purple stun, which will also prod G4mora to add a strike/attack, and change any 2-4 enemy A/P/S into a friendly strike (depending on how many purple covers you have).