New Player Gambit Question PvP

Kaibar
Kaibar Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
Just started last month during Gambit event.  Love the game but ran into some trouble with PvP.  Played an opponent with 0/0/1 Gambit and 3* deadpool.  Looked like I could win pretty easy.  Next thing I know WHALES dropping on me and wiped me out really quick.

I was confused how he could use the whales skill since it was pink.  Did research and realized the Gambit issue.  My Gambit has 1 pink cover so I can't use the strategy.  Should I just get another gambit and not use pink cover?  Do the devs ever nerf characters?  Has anyone heard of changes coming?  I come from playing puzzles and dragons.  In PAD they never nerf anything.  Thanks.  Great game....I am hooked. :)

Comments

• aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Welcome to the game!

1. There is rebalancing adjustment every season. Characters are nerfed from time to time. Sometimes they are over-nerfed, sometimes unintended nerfed, or sometimes supposed-to-be-a-buffed nerfed.
    2. Currently, getting 0/0/X gambit is a huge advantage. If you have hp to spare a roster slot, getting one won't hurt (for now).
    3. I haven't heard of anything specifically about Gambit from the devs so far. But they hardly communicate with players anyway, so this may not mean anything.

Hope this help! :)
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Yes, nerfs happen.  Still too soon to know if gambit will be nerfed, but it's possible (AFTER demi/d3 squeeze all possible money from players whaling him).

Keep the gambit cover you have.  He is a good character and you will want him covered eventually.

Many players will eventually also build a duplicate gambit at 0/0/5 (or 0/5/5 or 5/0/5) to generate ap for the rest of their team (a gambattery as a it were).  Mostly useful in pve, but potentially dangerous in pvp with the right partners.

(Also, welcome to the game!  It's fun and frustrating in equal measure.  And if you want to build a strong roster, then i hope you are prepared to stick around for a long time or spend a lot of money.)
  • redviper85
    redviper85 Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Yes they nerf characters but I don't know if i would personally start a new gambit just for the battery potential, even if I knew they weren't going to nerf him. I see those teams and eat them up for breakfast. It is too easy to either focus on gambit and knock him out quick OR focus on the purple/red user and make a black gambit completely useless. 

Also with you being so new to the game i'd save the HP. You will need to eventually roster up everyone aside from 1*s which right now is about 140 slots give or take, so wasting the HP at that point in the game is a little silly.

• redviper85
    redviper85 Posts: 62 Match Maker
    I will also say, not knowing your roster you may not be able to quickly KO gambit or the red/purple user so you may want to avoid 0/0/5 gambits. But if you can, it is essentially a 3 v 2 fight bc he is either real weak or completely useless as a 0/0/5 when there is nowhere to spend it

• VizMantis
    VizMantis Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    I’ve been taken by surprise by a couple 0/0/5 gambit teams.  The first being with vulture/3fist and the 2nd being with SpiderGwen.  Both highly effective teams that I can’t use because I champed my 3* gambit.  If gambit is working as intended, then I feel like we should be able to respec to sub-13 covers once champed.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    VizMantis said:
    I’ve been taken by surprise by a couple 0/0/5 gambit teams.  The first being with vulture/3fist and the 2nd being with SpiderGwen.  Both highly effective teams that I can’t use because I champed my 3* gambit.  If gambit is working as intended, then I feel like we should be able to respec to sub-13 covers once champed.
    Build a duplicate.
  • VizMantis
    VizMantis Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah, yeah, I know I can build a duplicate.  I’m just saying, if they’re going to purposefully introduce mechanics that reward sub-13 cover builds, that mechanic should be supported in their respec system as well. It surely wouldn’t be hard to implement.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    I mean, yes, 0/0/5 is a pill, but the 3* version has nothing health. The 5* version can be a pain, I guess.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:
    I mean, yes, 0/0/5 is a pill, but the 3* version has nothing health. The 5* version can be a pain, I guess.
    I ran across an amusing team in Vicious Cycle that was using 5* 0/0/5 Gambit to fuel 2* Magneto. Fortunately, it was easy enough to drop Mags and Ghost Rider, and then Gambit just sat around looking sheepish and generating AP he had no way to use.
  • Avalancher
    Avalancher Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    I have been using 0/5/5 Gambit3 with Professor X at 3/5/5 and the loaner Ghost Rider. Often I lose Gambit and Ghost Rider, but PX can still grind down 50k characters by himself even when he is not boosted!!!