Necro Threads.

Options
Kinesia
Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
Hi @Brigby,

I know it's a pain when things get necroed, but there are a few different things happening that are making it occur more often right now.

Firstly people are going "Yeah, I said that a month ago, here it is and linking to the old thread" and suddenly getting far more newfound support. These should not be ignored, starting a brand new thread is a _huge_ time investment when it's already been written and is there, we need an easier way to include entire conversations and add "And here is how the new situation has modified things...". Unfortunately, now that we can see signs that you are all listening, _everyone_ is digging up the things they've covered before that just got lost. And these _do_ need fresh and current analysis.

Secondly... I've been trying to use the "Notifcations" button to keep track of what to look at and reply to and sometimes _it_ is bringing up old things for me. I don't realise and just reply. This may be happening to other people too.
Yesterday I _did_ notice with some of them though, "Why are you saying there are new comments? There are no new comments here?"

Thanks,
Kinesia.

Comments

• HypnoticSpecter
    HypnoticSpecter Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You could start a new thread that includes links to relevant discussion in prior threads. Some people already do this.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You could start a new thread that includes links to relevant discussion in pruor threads. Some people already do this.
    You can also quote the relevant parts of the prior thread (as well as linking to them) in the new thread so people don't have to leave your thread to figure out what you are referencing.
  • Kinesia
    Options
    Aye, you can do all this, but people are lazy, even "people-adjacent constructs" such as myself.
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    In some forums, they just go nuts if you ever create a new thread on a subject that has been discussed before.  Frankly, I prefer this to that. 
  • Kinesia
    Options
    Understood Gilesclone, my main concern is that this has been happening a _lot_ in the last week and it's potentially derailing some things.
    @Brigby is closing them, but there are probably a few that _he_ should be doing the working in recreating as new threads pointing to the old one. There's no guarantee that the person who did it is going to come back and notice but and fix it, but other people are already reading and commenting on some of them prior to closure, there's not always a single obvious person who should carry the legwork.
    At least _sometimes_ Brigby should be doing something other than just closing them.

• Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Maybe instead of listing multiple problems in one thread, we should make individual threads for each separate issue? That way, when one problem (in this case, the four hour recharges) gets resolved, we can simply close that particular thread and continue commenting on all of the other unresolved issues. 

Perhaps it it would make things easier for Brigby AND new people joining the conversation while highlighting the many varied things that are important to each of us?

I know it sounds like a lot more work for us, but if we all pitch in together and each pick one gripe out of the hat to write about, I bet we can fill the boards with fresh content pretty quickly. 
  • Fiddler
    Fiddler Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I recommend Ecclesiastes 1, verses 1-15
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Fiddler said:
    I recommend Ecclesiastes 1, verses 1-15
    Pretty bleak