Ryan Kirkpatrick

Options
Phaserhawk
Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
I’m curious what people think needs to be fixed whether it’s a nerf or a buff. List your top three in 5,4, and 3 stars and discuss others

5*—OML buff
       Thanos nerf
       Silver Surfer buff

4*—Agent Venom buff
       King Pin buff
       Xforce buff

3*—Sentry. Buff
        Hulk. Buff
        Colossus buff

Comments

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I dunno who this Kirkpatrick character is, but sure:

5*

- Banner needs help badly. His automatches when transformed need to either gather AP or cause some additional effect, because right now he's more of a hindrance than a help. Gamma Ray Experiment also needs to more reliably create green, or have some other effect - it hardly ever does anything as-is.

- Black Suit Spiderman is hysterically underpowered - his only use is niche, as a strike tile nullifier. This was fine when OML/Phoenix was rampant, but now he's incredibly weak. His green should do over 20k for the cost (when freshly champed - currently it does around 15), and his blue should probably stun for two turns instead of one.

Doc Ock's blue is pathetic - costs too much and the Tentacle tiles are too fragile for it to ever be really useful. Either lower its cost or make the Tentacle tiles unmatchable, a la Black Hole or Eye of Agamotto.

- Runner up: I could see lowering Thanos's damage output a bit. Not a ton, but right now if he gets a kill he pretty much wins.

4*

- Kingpin's changes lowered him from "niche use" to "genuinely bad." Just reverse the changes. Shackling his black to CDs and increasing the cost got rid of the main reason to use him in the first place, and he didn't need AOE capability. If you want to even make him good-ish, let us choose the CD he sacrifices.

X-Force Wolverine needs something. Fortify his heal tile, increase green's damage, let us target green's destruction - just something. He's not as bad as everyone says, since black hits like a train, but he's still pretty low tier.

- Sam Wilson is utter trash right now. He used to have a niche use with repeating countdowns, but now he's just a guy with a really expensive nuke that can do a little tile buffing. Lower the cost of red or add an extra passive effect on yellow, or something.

- Runner up: probably going to be an unpopular choice but I think Quake's blue ought to do a bit of extra damage for each tile it destroys, or possibly have an additional passive effect. Her only real damage right now is from green, which is a bit expensive, and her passive is either fantastic or completely useless depending on the enemy team. She's just too niche currently to really compete.

3*

Doc Ock again. Blue is fine, but green is a tries-to-do-too-much-and-ends-up-sucking power. The tiles he creates with his passive are a little weak too, given that they won't always come into play.

Hulk. My god, his red is so bad. Having it drain all your green is completely ridiculous. He might as well only have 2 powers. 

Bullseye - his passive is super fun, but his green is feeble and his purple is limited by the availability of tiles to sacrifice, which makes it hard to get a kill with him and set him rolling. Lower the cost on green, let it target enemy tiles and deal damage for each destroyed, the way Gambit does with charged tiles. Let purple be fired on basic tiles, for reduced damage.

Runner up: Colossus's black is kinda too expensive to really be useful. I think his other powers are fine, though.

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    5* - Nowhere near that tier and have little interest in it.

4* - Captain Falcon. I feel like instead of buffing tiles (which he does poorly. Carol and Professor X are way better) his Blue power should instead function like his Redwing power from his 3* self and return Yellow and Red AP when it resolves.

3* - Hulk. Strongest there Is? More like pushover on defense and practically a liability on offense. His red is garbage.
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    5-star:
    • Banner needs a pretty big overhaul generally. I like the idea of what it takes to get to his Hulk form but it's underwhelming once it's activated. His blue works in a way to fuel his purple to get him into Hulk form but his black is a bit confusing and disconnected. It'd be nice if he generated AP with his matches in Hulk form and if his damage as Hulk was buffed significantly.
    • Ock is weird, as stated. Probably needs some work on his green's initial form and his tentacles are entirely too vulnerable. His blue, in theory, is sort of neat since it's sort of like 4-star Luke's yellow in that it can keep dealing higher and higher damage as its fired but those tentacles have no staying power. It'd be nice if his green fueled itself since it's so needy and never really gets to be super overpowered in any form. His black's okay, maybe it'd be nice if he could stun himself if he had enough tentacles out to make him an AP gathering powerhouse if he could get enough tentacles out. Thematically, he's brilliant though. I love that. 
    • Star-Lord isn't bad, but it'd be great if he got a little more board shake to go with his super high match damage. A lot of his value now derives from the fact that's he's a great match for 4-star R&G so having a bit more value would be desirable. His purple's AP steal shouldn't steal it all from one pool either. 

4-star:

• Sam Wilson: lower priced red that deals less damage but still scales with protect tiles. Have his yellow put a ton of protect tiles out on random tiles, not just yellow (collecting yellow AP to turn all yellow tiles into protect sort of hurts its own cause). Blue needs a numbers buff since it's a nice power on paper, just a bit underwhelming in the face of the way the meta has shifted.
    • Wolverine: black is fine. Yellow is really bad, green needs a damage buff but I love its board shake. 
    • Elektra: she's close to being really good at a niche no one really needs so her role could stand to be changed up. Her black needs a tanking element to prevent damage to others (ala Rogue). Her purple is lapped by other tile stealing powers so still needs a litlte more to put it over the top.
    3-star:
    • Daredevil: his red would be infinitely better if it was initially placable, in its current form it's too luck dependent.
    • Elektra; see above
    • Punisher: green needs and black need a bump, he's currently toothless.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    I would agree on Sam Wilson he is just terrible 
  • finlanderboy
    finlanderboy Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    Options
    5 star

Thanos, When 80% of the teams I fight are him it suggests something.  If they changed PVP to allow a 4 star in place of the three star this would fix it as well.

Black suit spiderman.  Everything he does is worse than others.  He is sad.   Buff him and make him comparable

Dr. OC.  Just like spiderman he does nothing special that he is not easily replaced by someone else

4 star

Sam Wilson is garbage.  His has an expensive nuke.  His tile buff should actually scare people, it is sad When you compare him to Captain marvel that does pretty much the same thing he does, but does them too good.

Vulture.  He Partially self fuels his flight the idea of fighting someone that is airborn and one side is stuck making matches waiting for him to land is not fun.   I would prefer him needing a teammate fueling him.

Kingpin.  They made him from below average to junk.  If they want his black to focus on countdowns then he should more easily make countdowns.   I would like to see his yellow currently reduced, but add a passive that auto generates countdowns if he has some much colors.

3 star

Squirrel girls yellow, defense tiles for your turn, no thanks.  They are not powerful enough to change the game.  Just remove the end yoru turn bit and this will be good.

Ragnorock,.  His green is junk.  Self damage that hits soft with 14 ap is stupid.

Gambit, I hate the concept of purposely under powering characters.  I am dreading the event everyone is level 550.  He will be in every roster. 

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Oh, man, I hadn't even thought about 0/0/5 Gambit in Balance of Power. I really hope he gets nerfed before that runs again.
  • Phaserhawk
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I think the problem most people have is we don’t want every card op but at least niche to the point of op in that situation.   4* Star Lord against goons. Omg he is insane but in pvp not so much. 

But it as mentioned we need to scrap 3* PvP. Buffed 4* would help. To keep fair bring 3* if that 4* if they exist close to 4* level. My buffed 4* Thor can deal with 5*’s as well as other 4*’s the game is well past the point of 3* standard
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I'm mostly against the idea of outright nerfs for any character. I think that the balance of power in any tier could be shifted by aiming to create characters that share equivalent power and designing towards a rock/paper/scissors style metagame. So I think all of the following characters could use a "buff" or at least be reworked in such a way that they could be considered team picks that either support or disrupt the tier's meta.

3* Tier

Hulk, Doc Ock, Ragnarok

The 3* meta is quite foreign to me now, although I'm assuming that not much has changed since the introduction of Strange and Thanos anyway. Hulk was any easy pick, his abilities really are a bit of a mess. The remaining picks were simply two characters that I feel are fairly close to the bottom of the tier and just have powers that are uninteresting or otherwise surpassed by someone else in the tier.

4* Tier

Kingpin, Wolverine, Sam Wilson

Fairly easy picks for me here. I think I'm actually pretty happy with all the other 4* characters right now. KP and Wolvie both received bad reworks and Sam was obsoleted by Carol.

5* Tier

Doc Ock, Hulk (Banner), Spider-Man (Back in Black)

Also easy picks. The doctors Otto and Bruce both need some attention. Spider-Man is probably an outside pick, since I know most people would prefer to see Logan at least somewhat restored. Black Suit Spidey is there because he's simply been taken out of contention by the fact that he shares a name with Peter Parker. I think that they could probably rename this Spider-Man to Venom and keep the abilities intact (at least until after they fix OML).