Match damage broken?

udonomefoo
udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
 This may have been going on for the last two years and I just never noticed, but I'm finding that match damage when multiple matches are made seems to not be calculating correctly. 

Specifically, when a match is made and the tiles fall into a second match the second match seems to be doing only a percentage of the damage that should be doing.

I will upload some screenshots to show what I'm talking about, but wanted to just throw this out there in case it's already known and I could save the trouble.

Comments

• Steellatch
    Steellatch Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Cascades slowly drop in value.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    This. Strike tile damage doesn't decline during cascades, though.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Huh, I never knew that. Thanks for the replies.  

Until recently (leveled BB to 420) match dmg was not significant so I never paid attention. 
  • meekersX
    meekersX Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    It can actually be important sometimes when you're making a swap that makes two matches. Whichever match you swap into will be scored first, so you want to match the higher value color first for more overall damage, or sometimes the other way if you don't want to overkill a target.

It also explains why strike tiles are so incredibly powerful. Since they have no diminishing returns on damage, cascades with strikes can destroy in a way that cascades without strikes cannot.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd never noticed this either.  So you mean the AI's OMGWTFBBQ Cascades that go on for seven or eight turns could be even worse!?!
  • dokiy
    dokiy Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    Holy **** I've been playing for 3 years and never knew this. Well huh. 
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Worth pointing out also that it's not just match damage that decays with cascades, but AP gain as well. But yeah without this system cascades would be even more devastating than they are right now.
  • meekersX
    Worth pointing out also that it's not just match damage that decays with cascades, but AP gain as well. But yeah without this system cascades would be even more devastating than they are right now.
    Hmm, can you elaborate please? I'm not sure what you're referring too.
  • Chrono_Tata
    meekersX said:
    As in normally if you match 3 of a colour, you gain 3 AP of that colour. But when a cascade get long enough, a match 3 would get 2 AP instead, and then eventually 1 and down to no AP at all. It's not as obvious as damage decay as it doesn't drop straight away. A long time ago I remember seeing on the forum where someone worked out the number of cascade lengths required for that to happen.
  • meekersX
    meekersX said:
    As in normally if you match 3 of a colour, you gain 3 AP of that colour. But when a cascade get long enough, a match 3 would get 2 AP instead, and then eventually 1 and down to no AP at all. It's not as obvious as damage decay as it doesn't drop straight away. A long time ago I remember seeing on the forum where someone worked out the number of cascade lengths required for that to happen.
    I'll see if I can find that post, as I've never noticed this. That's not to say it doesn't happen though!
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    meekersX said:
    This is not true.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Jarvind said:
    This. Strike tile damage doesn't decline during cascades, though.
    Yeah, and in my opinion, they should.
    Would go a long way towards making all 3 tiles somewhat comparable.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata said: 
    meekersX said:
    This is not true.
    Well, I never tested it myself so I can't defend it, but I'm pretty sure I read it here a long time ago. It seemed to make sense so I always just accepted it as fact, but it doesn't really matter much either way. The conditions for it are pretty rare.