Leaving for a while, this is why

Options
Krishna
Krishna Posts: 205 Tile Toppler

I am making the decision to stop playing MTGPQ for several reasons, which I would like to list in order of least importance to most. Ultimately, the last one is reason enough for me to make this decision, but for the people currently playing who struggle with some of these issues I want to continue to bring them to light, because it at least seems as though we have a team of developers who are listening to the players, and until they show otherwise I want to give them the benefit of the doubt. So:

1. In-game mechanics

I am using this term broadly to describe any programmed thing within the game that the develops intended to happen (unintentional mechanics will be discussed later.). Such undesirable mechanics include things that were changed recently, including but not limited to: The difficulty of obtaining certain rares, mythics and masterpieces cards (booster pack drop rates, cost of elite pack, etc. Let me know when booster crafting is here), the 2 hour 1 card free booster (O how I hate this booster), AI generally being really dumb (playing cards egregiously out of order, rarely matching 5 gems anymore and actively avoiding it, etc), the Exclusive PW event reward being “nerfed”, I’m sure I could go on

2. Unintended “mechanics”

This term is for all of the things that are not supposed to happen, but they do anyway. This includes game crashes in all its many forms, but an emphasis must be placed on crashes that happen during a match and cause us to lose ribbons. Because the event rewards are so crowded at the top, you often cannot lose a match and still finish with the top rewards. I would imagine everyone has had this happen at least a few times, and it generally makes me want to quit on the spot.

3. To Do Something Constructive

Today, I thought long and hard about using the time I spend playing this game on something else. I realized that with the multiple hours I spend everyday playing this game, I could be a badass piano player or drummer, or be a badass carpenter and build stuff, practice my arts that have been neglected. For me, it’s time to redirect that time towards the real world and generally work on being a better person. Hopefully once booster crafting comes along, I may come back and cash in my dupes and see what it gets me and go from there.

A lot of work has gone into this game and building the community, and I have really enjoyed getting to know some of you, battling all types of decks made by all types of people is really fun and I look forward to future iterations of this game. It seems to be in good hands of people who want to have it.

Comments

• Furordraco
    Furordraco Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @Krishna sad to see you go Krishna. I'll pm you when booster craft is out and working
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Try table tennis!

I got inspired by the table tennis every day video and tried as much as possible to play an hour a day the last year.

Sadly I'm nowhere near as good as the guy in the video, but it's been a rewarding way to spend an hour a day. 
  • Krishna
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    Try table tennis!

I got inspired by the table tennis every day video and tried as much as possible to play an hour a day the last year.

Sadly I'm nowhere near as good as the guy in the video, but it's been a rewarding way to spend an hour a day. 
    I'll check it out! I like to do daily basketball dribbling exercises, my crossover is coming along nicely
  • Krishna
    Options
    @Krishna sad to see you go Krishna. I'll pm you when booster craft is out and working

Thanks!
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,942 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Reason #1 is a valid reason to quit playing, but I like this game enough to either ignore or try to make change with the help of fellow forum member feedback, reason #2 is a reason I have almost quit, and reason #3 is a reason I probably should quit but I won't. 
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The return of "Something Went Wrong" errors today causing me and several other players to be uncredited for ribbons in games won is another good reason to make me quit. Like Krishna said, our time is better spent on healthier and more rewarding activities. 
  • Fiddler
    Fiddler Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I had a bunch of SWW 8 hours or so ago, but I was still credited for ribbons after cancelling. AS I understand it, the network errors should have been resolved shortly after that.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Reason #3 is amazing. I hope if you do come back when changes are made, you can balance your crafts with the game and have the best of both worlds!!

Cheers @Krishna
  • TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I like #3, having a good creative outlet is important. Any ideas what you will do?
  • Krishna
    Options
    I like #3, having a good creative outlet is important. Any ideas what you will do?
    Thank you for asking! Been focusing more on piano than drums at the moment (I wasn't speaking in hyperbole lol), I just recorded and uploaded a bit for you to check out.  https://youtu.be/eJlG_4WEFgs

• Krishna
    edited November 2017
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    Reason #3 is amazing. I hope if you do come back when changes are made, you can balance your crafts with the game and have the best of both worlds!!

Cheers @Krishna
    Alas, my claims of completely quitting have been exaggerated, but I have drastically cut the time spent playing and channeled that in other constructive (and non-constructive) ways (see post above). Ultimately, I hope the message can add to the number of outspoken players on these matters. I know Oktagon is prioritizing Booster Crafting, but I don't know if they know just how frustrating and rage quit-inducing game crashes are.

Also, in stepping down from my competitive coalition, I have floated around a bit in other coalitions, and that has been an unexpected source of enjoyment in the game. I wound up in TinyKitty (which I found out about from you) and they were super kind and invited me to stay, but I'm sure that is a valuable spot meant for someone else so I ended up in D3Ducks for RotGP.

• TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Krishna said:
    Thank you for asking! Been focusing more on piano than drums at the moment (I wasn't speaking in hyperbole lol), I just recorded and uploaded a bit for you to check out.  https://youtu.be/eJlG_4WEFgs

Nice, I am working on plans for a bowing bass, making the pickups by hand and everything. Just need to buy the epoxy to make the pickups the way I'd like before I start on the wood.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Krishna said:
    bken1234 said:

Cheers @Krishna
    Alas, my claims of completely quitting have been exaggerated, but I have drastically cut the time spent playing and channeled that in other constructive (and non-constructive) ways (see post above). Ultimately, I hope the message can add to the number of outspoken players on these matters. I know Oktagon is prioritizing Booster Crafting, but I don't know if they know just how frustrating and rage quit-inducing game crashes are.

Also, in stepping down from my competitive coalition, I have floated around a bit in other coalitions, and that has been an unexpected source of enjoyment in the game. I wound up in TinyKitty (which I found out about from you) and they were super kind and invited me to stay, but I'm sure that is a valuable spot meant for someone else so I ended up in D3Ducks for RotGP.

Casual is very important and this game is actually structured to allow it. Being able to pick and choose how much you want to play is a very good thing, much more relaxing.
  • Krishna
    Options
    Krishna said:

Nice, I am working on plans for a bowing bass, making the pickups by hand and everything. Just need to buy the epoxy to make the pickups the way I'd like before I start on the wood.
    Wow, that's awesome. I'd love to see it when it's done
  • Klick
    Klick Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Options
    @Krishna   If we have a spot open You are welcome to hop into tinykitty whenever you like.
  • Krishna
    Options
    Klick said:
    @Krishna   If we have a spot open You are welcome to hop into tinykitty whenever you like.
    thanks! Oktagon got me to come out of semi-retirement this weekend, I jumped into CoolRunnings when I saw the rewards at stake (I hope they have the PW events (and rewards) more often). I can't let ya'll get all the crystals

• Sirchombli
    Sirchombli Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Deuces! 
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If I recall, didn't you go perfect in HoD for 300 shiny jewels?  Congrats @krishna !   Maybe I should also take a semi-vacation.  It seems to have been restorative.