Mockingbird's Opportunist delayed if enemy makes a match-5

jamesh
jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
I've noticed this in a number of matches with different team compositions and different enemies.

I have 5 yellow covers on my Mockingbird, and the enemy team will make a match-5 in a colour I have 6 AP or more.  The animation of Mockingbird charging the screen plays, but then the enemy team makes their second move rather than my team firing a random power.  The friendly power doesn't seem to fire until the beginning of my turn.

I've also had matches where the enemy has made a match-4 after a match-5, and had both random powers fire together, rather than being linked to the turn where enemy made the match.

In other matches, it feels like I've missed out on the free power activation if the enemy manages to down a member of the team after making the match-5.  Maybe it made the decision about which power to queue at the time of the match, but then failed to fire it when that character died?  I'm less certain about this problem than the main bug of the powers being delayed though.

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah that's really annoying. I guess it would be weird to fire a power while the board hasn't settled yet... but surely it could fire after a match-5 and before the 'extra' move.
  • jamesh
    My expectation was for it to fire the power after the board settles (but before the extra move).  I'd imagine firing it mid-cascade would be difficult to do, and quite often wouldn't be beneficial.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it makes sense for powers to fire at the beginning of their side's turn, so that any powers causing board shake don't cause harm to Mockingbird's team instead of the enemy's.  Otherwise, you need to code some sort of "sub turn" into the match where the power fires passively, damage and AP resolve as if the other side had control of the board, and then control reverts to the team who "has the ball".
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dayv said:
    I think it makes sense for powers to fire at the beginning of their side's turn, so that any powers causing board shake don't cause harm to Mockingbird's team instead of the enemy's.  Otherwise, you need to code some sort of "sub turn" into the match where the power fires passively, damage and AP resolve as if the other side had control of the board, and then control reverts to the team who "has the ball".
    Although they should think about doing this too. How many times has the AI gotten a huge cascade by triggering your own Recovery or Demolition Traps? Too many.
  • jamesh
    I guess there are upsides and downsides.  I've had a few close matches where the enemy did a match-5 close to the end of the game and then took out one of my characters with their extra move.  When my free power fired at the beginning of the next turn, I took out one of the enemy's characters.  It's cases like that that make me wish the power fired sooner.

I've also noticed that Vulture's "One Fell Swoop" will activate on landing prior to the free powers triggered by the enemy on the previous turn.  I guess they're both activated at the same point in the game loop.