Leveling 5* too soon - PvP crippling - I flinched

Wolarsen
Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker

During last anniversary I drew 2 OML covers. Mine was already fully covered, sitting at lvl 350 and started thinking of championing him

I had more than 40 championed 4*, granting me an average boosted lvl of around 380, so championing OML would boost my average to slightly over 400. Looked pretty safe.

It was not safe at all, in fact was my second biggest mistake in the game (second only to purchasing 1* with Hero coins). PvP went straight to hell, getting nothing but 5* teams in all cases. I have 150 wins in current season, and I have found less than 5 teams with no 5*; on the rest, half of them had two 5*. Lightning rounds became specially hard, passing from competing for top50 to struggle for top 100.

The situation is aggravated with the start of the new “victory” PvP system, as I have to win 40 fights against monster teams; moreover, events of new characters as rogue and nightcrawler make it worse, as they are Thanos fodder.

I addressed customer service explaining all this and asking for a solution; I offered to accept a severe downgrading of the character, either losing invested ISO, covers, or both, and offering to make a payment if needed, anything but deleting OML completely; I got the expected, laconic answer: “We apologize for all the inconveniences that you are experiencing. Unfortunately, we can not proceed with your request. 

So was either chewing an absolutely unpleasant PvP (effectuively losing half of the game) or deleting OML. OML was the culprit, so he had to go; I deleted it.

But it didn’t look fair, so Phoenix stepped in and was deleted too. So the avengers and Spidey, so 4* counterparts. I deleted all my roster, saving Punisher as he was my 1st full 3*, and Sentry, Doc Ock and Yelena, just in case.

Mind this is not exactly ragequitting; I was playing more than 2 hours each day and it was too much. The game has several problems (nerfing, character dilution, 5* system too random, the need to play “on the clock” to be able to compete…) that have been bothering me for some time, just poor OML was the final push.

I had quite lots of fun with the game, but it is just time to leave it. Special thanks to Villains and DeadpoolTacos alliances, that were the real spice of the game and where I found lots of very nice people. Thanks to Aesthetocyst, Vhailorx, and all the people that gave me so much information in the forums in a wise, nontrollish manner.

Best wishes for all,

Comments

• ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    instead of deleting a 5* and enjoying the game again with a strong 4* roster you... just sold almost your entire roster? 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,737 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you reach the top goal of the game - champing 5*s - and don’t enjoy it, this is a reasonable reaction.    Once you have most 4’s champed, the next one is usually not very exciting.  And then what are you playing for?  If you don’t enjoy the game, quit.

The 5* tier is sad in a way. All of them, in a way, should be equally helpful, because the covers are so hard to get and the iso is significant. And yet we know they aren’t. Champing your first 5 is extremely important in terms of picking the right one.  Ex:  I have a 13 cover DocOck with no iso in him.  Champing him first would be a horrible mistake.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    I just quit pvp until they fix it.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    i have almost every 4* champed i care about.
    im already there! 
    and no, for me, 4* tier is the final one, that other tier is for whales and people who want to play competitive and want a challenge. that threads i read about 5* MMR is all i need to ignore the complete tier.
    i still keep playing. 4* tier is fun. 5* tier tends to get compared to work. 
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 565 Critical Contributor
    I am in a similar boat, I was sitting on 2 lvl 435 5 stars OML and SS, I finally got the last SS and leveled him.  I went from seeing the occasional maxed 5/4 teams to only seeing maxed teams just from that change.  I am lucky I have most of the 4 and all of the 3 leveled so I can take advantage of the boosted character but I went from easily getting into the top 50 to struggling to keep in the top 100, I usually have to skip 2-4 people before I find a reasonable match for my level.  It is not unplayable but it make it much more stressful that if for sure.  Once this season is over and I have made up my mind on the new pvp system I may debate dropping pvp other than the simulator, the grind to 16 wins (15 cp) is not worth the headache anymore. :)
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    ammenell said:
    i have almost every 4* champed i care about.
    im already there! 
    and no, for me, 4* tier is the final one, that other tier is for whales and people who want to play competitive and want a challenge. that threads i read about 5* MMR is all i need to ignore the complete tier.
    i still keep playing. 4* tier is fun. 5* tier tends to get compared to work. 
    This is the best advice, just stay in 4*. With 5*s you might have better success in pve, however now PvP is ruined.

With the good rate of flow of 4* covers and 5* play being trash, there is no reason to spend money on this game. The 5* play will just frustrate you.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Welcome to the world of 5* players and the MMR we play in.  Your experience is the exact feedback 5* players have been telling the dev team since they changed MMR and again since they have been testing the new PVP system.  They are creating a system of progression to massive failure.  Unfortunately I can only foresee many more players experiencing what you have just went through and the worst thing is they will go through the same thing transitioning to 4* land as well.  It is a tough fight to 5* land but I hope you think about staying keep playing even if it is just PVE and LR.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    wymtime said:
    It is a tough fight to 5* land but I hope you think about staying keep playing even if it is just PVE and LR.

I think you missed the part about him selling off his entire roster.  Hard to keep playing after that move.

You really need to be able to champ 3 5*s at the same time to move into 5* land.  That's why hoarding is so important to get into 5*ville.  Get those first 3 characters at the same time and go for it.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion said:
    wymtime said:
    It is a tough fight to 5* land but I hope you think about staying keep playing even if it is just PVE and LR.

I think you missed the part about him selling off his entire roster.  Hard to keep playing after that move.

You really need to be able to champ 3 5*s at the same time to move into 5* land.  That's why hoarding is so important to get into 5*ville.  Get those first 3 characters at the same time and go for it.
    Doe!!!!!  After a while I just saw words..  then words turned into donuts..  mmmmmm donuts!!!!