Forum thread

aesthetocyst
aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
Forum post.

Comments

• beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    I’ve only gotten 10 seeds in LRs joining at exact start but not consistently. Some folks say you can get more seeds (than 3) in regular pvp by peeking at the rewards or event rules right before joining the event (anecdotal)
  • meekersX
    meekersX Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    What you suggest seems fair to me. I wouldn't expect it to happen though.
  • cooperbigdaddy
    cooperbigdaddy Posts: 394 Mover and Shaker
    I try my darndest to start a PVP when it begins so I can get as many seeds as possible for this reason, whether it was points or wins based. I LOVE when I get around 8-10 seed teams so I can crawl up the progression slide. But I also get upset when I don’t get at least 3 seed teams no matter when I start it.

Maybe that’s me having my cake and eating it too?

I’m trying to decide if I would rather have around 8 seeds when I start immediately or 3 seed teams no matter when I start it...

This is my discuss.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've always thought that all PvP events, no matter when the player starts, should always have at least three seed teams. It certainly helps me feel motivated to play an event I'm not otherwise interested in if I know that I can play a handful of "freebie" fights, and still get some rewards. I'm a "575 and out" player, and the time commitment difference between getting those six-nine seed teams by joining an event within that crucial initial thirty second envelope is substantial.  

So yes, Equal seeds for Equal deeds! Or, at least, Three Seeds for Everyone, no matter when you start an event.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I've really been jumping in right away to get at the seed teams. Got 6 in Strange Days, and I think all 10 in Dr.'s Orders.

Even if I only get a couple, tho, it means I can beat them with my 1* plus the loaner, pick up a bunch of low-level hits, and and farm the retals to get through like half the event in 2* land, which was a lot more fun than wading through Wasp/Gwenpool/Drax teams in the second half of the last one.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    32 wins in the Dr. Doom event, which has been my toughest PVP yet. Did not get 3 easy seeds to start.

Yes, I think seed teams should be the same for everyone.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I've really been jumping in right away to get at the seed teams. Got 6 in Strange Days, and I think all 10 in Dr.'s Orders.

Even if I only get a couple, tho, it means I can beat them with my 1* plus the loaner, pick up a bunch of low-level hits, and and farm the retals to get through like half the event in 2* land, which was a lot more fun than wading through Wasp/Gwenpool/Drax teams in the second half of the last one.
    Try wading through Panthos from the starting gate or a 525+ Gambit with tinykitty anyone (the other 2are superfluous, I don't have the roster to take down a Gambit that big by himself). I got exactly 0 seed teams for Dr. Doom..... It's been *fun*
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I got enough seeds in Dr. Strange's event to get to the event token prize. That's nice. Makes grinding to the CP prize feel much shorter. The only thing I use lightning rounds for are seeds and some fast ISO and I always jump into a new PvP event right at the beginning of the slice.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    An important man once said “There will be 10 seeds in every queue.”  

Oh, how I wish it were so.
  • Bulls
    Bulls Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Pay for 5* gambit and you'll feel like fighting with seeds all the way up until gambit wall :D
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm glad you voiced the concern.  This was bugging me, as well.  Having free wins up front seems like a huge advantage.  But as far as fairness, well, it doesn't really impact anyone else.  If you're on time, you get a bonus to personal progression.  You're not a leg up on the competition because the prize is non-competitive.

Most people play LR's in similar fashion, finishing their seeds up to the 250 Iso and quit.  So it's already a progression-like model, though much more limited in scope and reward value.
  • therightwaye
    therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    Good thing it's gym time. Learning now that there is the possibility of 10 seeds has made me kind of angry. I'm ready to go beat something up. (myself)
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I try to start all pvp events at the start, especially with win based so I can knock out a quarter of my matches, but I couldn't do that with Nighcrawler's pvp. Bastard kept trolling my Thanos so I think I only got like six there.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    So you have to be in the PvP at the exact start of your event to get any seeds at all, and the number of seeds is determined by exactly when in a very small time window you started. Is that correct?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    So you have to be in the PvP at the exact start of your event to get any seeds at all, and the number of seeds is determined by exactly when in a very small time window you started. Is that correct?
    No, at least for lightning rounds it is good enough it you are online in the half hour before the event starts to get seed teams.If the app restarts you might only get three seed teams though.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    Calnexin said:
    I'm glad you voiced the concern.  This was bugging me, as well.  Having free wins up front seems like a huge advantage.  But as far as fairness, well, it doesn't really impact anyone else.  If you're on time, you get a bonus to personal progression.  You're not a leg up on the competition because the prize is non-competitive.

Most people play LR's in similar fashion, finishing their seeds up to the 250 Iso and quit.  So it's already a progression-like model, though much more limited in scope and reward value.
    I think there's a strong argument here though that this has a bigger effect though.

Seed teams can be blasted through in under 5 minutes. Not so much the rest of your PVP wins. And when those wins affect your overall progression for a season as well as the particular event, it does become a very unfair advantage to those who can usually manage to time it to get the seed teams. Mostly unfair because due to work and life and wide irregular spreads on the start times, there are large chunks of people who just can't get there almost ever when the events are starting. LRs are at least every couple of hours and only last for a small amount of time, there's another one around the corner that maybe somebody else can't get to but you can. So between availability and long-term effect, I think this is much more of an issue in the Season PVP events and should be looked at more strongly.

ETA: Also that leg-up on the free wins at the front might be the difference in your available time to make it as far as you want progressively or not, due to the difference in 5 minutes to blast through 10 seed teams and 30 minutes+ and health packs and regeneration needs to get through 10 non-seed team.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    I have a solution for fairness. Lower the win threshold to 30 wins, and remove wins gained from seed teams.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Hi @aesthetocyst. Looks like there were a couple more comments after your post.

Would you still like me to send it over to Suggestions & Feedback?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    *Moved to Suggestions & Feedback per OP's request