Court Death irregularity AKA Passives fire at inconsistent times

Blindman13
Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
Most days I use Thano5, Grocket (4), and G4mora to quick clear the 3 easy nodes in PvE. I try to trigger cascades that will eliminate the entire team, but if I don't get them all in one move, then Court Death comes along at the end of any cascade and clears out the stragglers.

Today, in a match with 2* Bullseye on the enemy team, I opened with a purple match that downed Ares. even though there were other matches incoming from the cascade, the screen paused so Bullseye could create his protection tile. Then Court Death came in before finishing the cascade. The cascade damage would have finished off Bullseye and the goon if it had finished, and saved my team 1K in health.

I've seen similar things with other abilities, notably with Medusa's Entanglement and Resolute Queen where Entanglement triggers immediately when the tile is removed, but Resolute Queen waits until the end of the cascade, unless the cascade is paused by something else (like Entanglement).

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've seen similar things with other abilities, notably with Medusa's Entanglement and Resolute Queen where Entanglement triggers immediately when the tile is removed, but Resolute Queen waits until the end of the cascade, unless the cascade is paused by something else (like Entanglement).
    I believe that's because the Entanglement trigger belongs to the tile, while the Resolute Queen and Court Death triggers are owned by the characters themselves. Traps trigger the same way, I believe. I'm not saying that's a good reason, mind.
  • Blindman13
    I believe that's because the Entanglement trigger belongs to the tile, while the Resolute Queen and Court Death triggers are owned by the characters themselves. Traps trigger the same way, I believe. I'm not saying that's a good reason, mind.
    Makes sense. I just would like to see it be consistent. If Court Death is supposed to trigger the instant and enemy goes down, then it should always do that, conversely if it is supposed to wait until the end of the cascade, it should always wait and give me a chance to take out the enemies through matches to save some health for the rest of my grind.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well... I think all characters' passives trigger after the board has fallen, and before additional cascade "matches" are resolved, and I believe it's pretty consistent about that. In some cases (Strike tile generation, for example), you'd probably want it to work that way anyways. Even your Court Death example probably only matters in wave missions, and only if the rest of the cascade would have killed the current target (or every target) by itself.

Having typed that, I think Prof X's tile strengthening passive effect waits until the very end of the cascade, although I, of course, can't speculate if that is intentional, a mistake, or a compromise for technical reasons.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    We have always been at war with order of operations.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, there are a bunch of inconsistencies on this. 2* Bullseye and Daken will stop a cascade, Wasp or Thanos won't, Medusa will with one of her abilities but not with the other.

The only general rule I've been able to notice is that if a power that does interrupt the cascade fires, any that normally wait until the end will fire during that interruption as well.
  • Blindman13

The only general rule I've been able to notice is that if a power that does interrupt the cascade fires, any that normally wait until the end will fire during that interruption as well.
    This is what I was trying to get at, but TPF phrased it much better.  Court Death is one that normally waits until the end, but will fire in the middle if something else interrupts.