The Bizarre Karma of 5* Heroes for Hire

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Do you have a classic 5* at 2/5/5?  Well you are clearly a John Galt-ian titan of industry, completely worthy of any and all  good fortune that could possibly be heaped upon you.  You can buy out that 5* and champ them sometime in the next several weeks for 250 cp.

Do you have a classic 5* at  5/5/2?  Well you're a bad person and you should feel bad.  You get to wait a year to finish your 5*, assuming this system even lasts that long.

Why is this a good outcome?

Let us buy one cover for the featured 5* per event, but rotate the color available in the heroes for hire store every day.  what purpose is served by arbitrarily favoring  (by a vast margin) those players who need top covers over those players who need bottom covers?

Comments

• The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:
    Do you have a classic 5* at 2/5/5?  Well you are clearly a John Galt-ian titan of industry, completely worthy of any and all  good fortune that could possibly be heaped upon you.  You can buy out that 5* and champ them sometime in the next several weeks for 250 cp.

Do you have a classic 5* at  5/5/2?  Well you're a bad person and you should feel bad.  You get to wait a year to finish your 5*, assuming this system even lasts that long.

Let us buy one cover per 5* per event, but rotate the color available in the heroes for hire store every day.  what purpose is served by arbitrarily favoring  (by a vast margin) those players who need top covers over those players who need bottom covers?
    I LOLED at the "Well you're a bad person and you should feel bad". 
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:
    Do you have a classic 5* at 2/5/5?  Well you are clearly a John Galt-ian titan of industry
    I feel it's worth noting that "Who is John Galt?" is used in the book as an expression of helplessness at the current state of affairs, which makes this particularly apropos.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    No one likes bottoms. They are there for a reason.
    That's what she said?

Everyone likes bottom covers, though? Right? Right??

Well... at least the guys in Latest will fly (relatively speaking) through that list pretty fast, I guess.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Ah, so THAT'S why I can't buy a Goblin cover I can actually use. Not because mine is at 5/4/1 and D3/RNGesus are *nope*, but because I'm terrible. I really should have known... :D

**Removed insult - Ducky
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx said:

Let us buy one cover for the featured 5* per event, but rotate the color available in the heroes for hire store every day.  what purpose is served by arbitrarily favoring  (by a vast margin) those players who need top covers over those players who need bottom covers?
    Are you suggesting that they might have actually overlooked this?  :D
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've got 2 5*s at 5/2/5 and I just knew that any covers offered in the H4H store would be the top ability.

This is a great idea, which means that of course it won't be implemented.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,605 Chairperson of the Boards
    The colors rotate to create value via artificial scarcity. If you need it this time, you can't just wait for the character to come around again, because the next time it won't be the same color. Doubt they'll change it for that reason.

As for favoring 2/5/5 over 5/5/2? Simple coin flip. You have to start the pattern somewhere.

It's fair because it hurts or benefits people indiscriminately.

Not exciting or desirable to hear as a player, but it is what it is.

• Avalancher
    Avalancher Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    Honestly, if there was no scarcity it would be a whole lot less fun.  The biggest thrills come from hitting that lucky pack.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc said:
    The colors rotate to create value via artificial scarcity. If you need it this time, you can't just wait for the character to come around again, because the next time it won't be the same color. Doubt they'll change it for that reason.

As for favoring 2/5/5 over 5/5/2? Simple coin flip. You have to start the pattern somewhere.

It's fair because it hurts or benefits people indiscriminately.

Not exciting or desirable to hear as a player, but it is what it is.

I don't disagree with anything you said.  My contention is simply that the current cycle for 5*s (should be something like 6-8 months for each classic right now, with more 5*s being added every 4-6 weeks) already creates sufficient scarcity.  Having to wait out three cycles on top of just waiting for your target character is much too long.  The way the dangling carrot incentive structure of MPQ works is that we have to be able to see the carrot to be incentivized to keep grinding.  I think it's even money that this current implementation will last long enough to cycle through to the third cover for some classic 5*s.  That's not a very compelling argument for those players with 5/5/2 classics to get excited about this new feature
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    No one likes bottoms. They are there for a reason.
    Well, I like big bottoms. It's impossible for me to be untruthful about this.

I find myself unable to contradict you on this point as well.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Add to this that over half of the 5*s in Daily Rewards are the top cover too.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    So my silver surfer is 5,5,2 so I am a bad person, but my Phoenix is a 5,4,3 so I will only need to wait 6 months for her heroes for hire so does that mean I am only 1/2 bad??
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Honestly, if there was no scarcity it would be a whole lot less fun.  The biggest thrills come from hitting that lucky pack.
    Sorry but that is complete rubbish, the biggest thrill comes from actually making some progress on your roster without it being screwed over by utterly pointless and unnecessary rng when the items in question (5* covers) are already rare enough without adding additional layers of rng on top to punish the unlucky.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    These sad saps. They come to MPQ thinking they're gonna be captains of industry, but they all forget that somebody's gotta scrub the toilets.

My 552 BSSM will be scrubbing toilets
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think this store is intended to help you build or finish a 5 star character but strictly to allow everyone access to the 5 star node.  What comes next?  Those points will be calculated into progression
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl said:
    Sorry but that is complete rubbish, the biggest thrill comes from actually making some progress on your roster without it being screwed over by utterly pointless and unnecessary rng when the items in question (5* covers) are already rare enough without adding additional layers of rng on top to punish the unlucky.
    I know you're having an emotional response, but it's completely irrational. Adding covers to the HfH store makes them LESS rare than they were before.

Additional layers weren't added on top of that rarity, they just limited how much the rarity was reduced. But the key point is that it was reduced from what ot was before.
  • Hyposphere6234
    Hyposphere6234 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2017
    My Goblin was 0/0/2. Now he's 1/0/2 and the ISO helped me champion Devil Dinosaur with 3 covers expiring in 36-48 hours.

The 250 CP I spent I didn't pay a penny for.

This is the first 5* flash sale in the h4h store that I've ever seen. I see people complaining that 5* covers are very hard to come by, especially classics because "as soon as they leave latest forget about them."

This is the first time I've seen people complain about a guaranteed 5* classic cover becoming available to purchase (resource depending.) But they could have given this cover away for free and there still would be complaints because that cover doesn't fit their roster specifically.
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    Its a nice attempt but also an epic fail. 

They got the cp values right but the utility is all wrong. This should have been as simple as changing the price from the character screen. 

There's no reason a player should have to pay 720 cp for a cover. Thats absurd. Especially when some of those toons are pretty old. 

H4h is not a solution to classic dilution. They need to drop the price and adjust the rates