Pure beginner - need some advices

Options
Gaschde
Gaschde Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
Hello all

As in the description, I'm a total beginner. I'm playing it now for about a week and am Level 17. 
I read some general tips and adivses and know some things. 

For my progress right now is: 
- Done the Prologue
- Had many 1* but now deleted most of them (got Storm Jugger and Ironman for Daily Deadpool)
- Collecting 2* (but have issues here)

As I said, I have issues collecting 2*. I got it, that a 2* is really weak, and I need to have many covers for him to get him stronger. 
I open some heroic packages, but the thing is, that I get many times 3* and 4* which is not helpful. 

My questions for now are:

- Should I open Heroic packages? And those bonus 2* or 3* packages?
- Should I open those taco vault packages or keep them?
- How can I get faster my desired covers? More via those daily story modus, or through PVP? 
- PVP most of the time, my opponent is much stronger, and I have no chance
- When I get a 3* cover, should I sell it? Or keep them?
- I decided to not have some 2* like Cap. America, Bullseye. Can I sell them? Or should I get a spot for them?

Ah yeah and for my roster:
https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/Gaschde/

Also I have those following covers as rewards:
- 3* Gamora
- 3* Sam Wilson (2x)
- 3* Black Widows
- 3* Beast
- 3* Bullseye
- 3* Scarlet Witch
- 3* Doctor Octopus

I'm really looking forward for your advises :) 

Best Regards
Gaschde

Comments

• Gaschde
    Options
    Sorry, I couldnt find the edit button :disappointed:

I have one more question:
    - How can I find a active alliance? :)
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
     - Don't spend hero points on tokens. Only ever spend them to buy new roster slots. Roster slots will be the most limited resource for you basically forever.
     - If you don't have a free roster slot (or the hero points to buy them) you might not want to open any heroic or elite tokens. There's a 25% chance you'll get a 3* or 4* and will probably end up selling them. Save up your hero points until you have enough to buy a roster slot, then open tokens until you get a 3* you have to roster. Then stop again.
     - If you ever end up with command points or legendary tokens, do not spend or open them. You will want to save those for when you have at least half of your 3* characters championed. That's a long way away from where you are now. You do not need the headache of "lucking" into a 5* yet.
    - Roster all the 2*s. 2* Spider-Man (Bag Man) is the only optional one. Not because they're all good, but because you will gain resources in the long run by getting champion levels for all of them. You're right, 2* Cap is pretty terrible; you could save him for last, if you want.
    - Don't put any more ISO into 1* Storm, and don't level up any of your 3*s yet. Spend it on your 2*s. Your 3* characters will not be better than your 2*s, even at a higher level, until they have around 9 covers (3/3/3).
    - I'd probably sell those 4* covers you have (Mordo, Iron Man). Once you can use them, they're not so rare that you'll wish you still had that one extra, and the two extra roster slots for 2*s and 3*s right now will be much more helpful.

Versus mode will be rough without 3*s; probably you'll be able to play for the 4 wins (and maybe 8 wins) tokens, and then stop.
    Story mode progression rewards are probably the best place for you to get covers. If you play every mission two times that is, I believe, sufficient to get a few 2* covers and a 3* (not clear on the low clearance level rewards, sorry). Since you won't have the required 4* very often, if at all, you might have to do each mission three times instead.
    Do the deadpool daily missions every day. Having as many 3*s as possible  will help you get the better rewards more often. It is possible to complete the final mission (Big Enchilada) with three 2*s at ~level 80.
    Might as well open those taco tokens right away (in my opinion); the 2* covers and ISO you're most likely to get will help you right now.

Of those 3*s in your reward list, Scarlet Witch is the only standout. Black Widow and Sam Wilson are also fine.
  • Gaschde
    Options
    Many many thanks Jaedenkaal! 

I will use your advises :)

The only thing I didnt understand is:

- Roster all the 2*s. 2* Spider-Man (Bag Man) is the only optional one. Not because they're all good, but because you will gain resources in the long run by getting champion levels for all of them. You're right, 2* Cap is pretty terrible; you could save him for last, if you want.

What do you mean by "gaining resources in the long run by getting champion levels? What kind of resources? Why should I level up all those 2* ? I dont have that much ISO.

I will have to sell some 3-4* for making place for 2*
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    Once a 2* character reaches level 94 (the 'maximum'), you can then "Promote" them for an additional 5000 ISO. This has 2 benefits. Ok 3.

1) You get 20 experience immediately. 25? Something like that.
    2) You can rearrange your 13 covers (respec) for that character for free, at any time.
    3a) Additional covers you gain for that character can be used to level that character higher than level 94. Each cover is worth 1 level, and a 2* champion can be raised to level 144 in this way (50 extra levels).
    3b) When you spend a cover to add a champion level to a character, you get a reward. Usually it's 250 ISO, but sometimes more, and occasionally its a heroic token, or a cover for a 3* character. These rewards are not random; they are predictable. There's a thread around here somewhere explaining what they are.

Having all 2* characters rostered (and eventually championed) means that every time you get a 2* cover, you can cash it in for potentially more than if you were to just sell it (for 250 ISO)
  • Gaschde
    Options
    Ah cool! 

I didnt know that you can level them more then lvl 94! 
    Thats also very new for me! 

Many thanks for all of your advises!
  • Jaedenkaal
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Gaschde said:
    Ah cool! 

I didnt know that you can level them more then lvl 94! 
    Thats also very new for me! 

Many thanks for all of your advises!
    https://d3publisher.helpshift.com/a/marvel-puzzle-quest/?s=gameplay-tips&f=what-are-champions&l=en

I think that article is still up to date.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/66445/a-newbs-guide-to-the-mpq-galaxy-update-21-8

This thread is also a good read.

Oh, and welcome to the forums :)
  • NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hey, guy! Welcome to the forums! You did a good job discovering this place much earlier in your play than I did, haha. So hopefully you can avoid some pratfalls along the way.

I just wanted to throw in a few things, either adding to what Jaed said or adding in some of my own thoughts:

1) Hero Points are, indeed, best used only for roster spots. You will CONSTANTLY need more spots than you have available. I still do, and I have 121 spots! So don't use HP for anything but spots. And yeah, you'll probably need the roster spots more than you need your 4* characters at this point. If you get into a pinch, don't feel bad about selling them for the space.

2) As for Alliances, there is a whole Alliance Sub-Forum here where you can both: a) Post that you are a player looking for an Alliance, and b) Check out posts from Alliances looking for members. In the Alliance Forum there will be a sticky for each (Players looking for Alliances, Alliances looking for Players) at the top of the page. It won't take you long to find one. A lot of Alliances have requirements you might not meet yet, but an equally large amount basically just want people that play every day and try their best.

3) I hated PVP for a LONG time as a new player. I never really got into PVP until much later in my playing. It's just too frustrating early on. THAT SAID, now that the system has changed to wins-based progression rather than points? It'll probably be much agreeable to you, and you should be able to earn more rewards that way. Stick it out, and you'll get there. But, like I said, I avoided PVP for quite a while myself.

4) Save CP and ISO. I don't necessarily agree that you shouldn't use CP until you have many 3* champs, but I can see the logic. I was fine with using CP to buy covers for 3* characters to get them champ'ed. Like, once I had a character at 10 covers or so, 60CP seemed worth the price for the last three covers. But, like I said, I can see the desire not to. I never find CP to be THAT hard to come across, though. ISO, though... man, you will get to a point where you NEVER have enough of that stuff. My best advice would be to not use ISO unless you are 100% sure it's going to a worthwhile cause. I regret a lot of the ISO I spent in my time, heh.

Hope that helps even a little. I'm hardly one of the more knowledgeable players here, but I know what I know (and, most importantly, I know what I regret from my early days!). Welcome to the boards!

• Jaedenkaal
    Options
    NotBAMF said:

4) Save CP and ISO. I don't necessarily agree that you shouldn't use CP until you have many 3* champs, but I can see the logic. I was fine with using CP to buy covers for 3* characters to get them champ'ed. Like, once I had a character at 10 covers or so, 60CP seemed worth the price for the last three covers. But, like I said, I can see the desire not to. I never find CP to be THAT hard to come across, though. ISO, though... man, you will get to a point where you NEVER have enough of that stuff. My best advice would be to not use ISO unless you are 100% sure it's going to a worthwhile cause. I regret a lot of the ISO I spent in my time, heh.

That's a good point, I should clarify: don't spend CP to buy legendary tokens (for a long time). Spending 20 here and there to buy a 3* cover that you're missing can be a good deal, especially on 'key' 3*s. Or your favourites, of course.
  • NotBAMF
    Options
    NotBAMF said:

That's a good point, I should clarify: don't spend CP to buy legendary tokens (for a long time). Spending 20 here and there to buy a 3* cover that you're missing can be a good deal, especially on 'key' 3*s. Or your favourites, of course.

Oh yeah, 100% on that. I would avoid Legendary Tokens for a while early on. I think we're on the same page, overall. CP to finish off a good 3* character is a yes. CP to buy legendary tokens just to buy them is a no (for now).
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jaedenkaal has given you some great advice. Let me give you some more.

HP: I'm going to repeat what Jaedenkall said for emphasis - don't use your gold coins for anything other than roster slots. If you are going to invest any money in this game the most helpful thing you can do for yourself is buy HP and use it to open roster slots.

ISO-8: There's only one use for it and that's to level your characters. Most players experience a very large ISO surplus early with nowhere to spend it; that's okay. Your roster will eventually reach a tipping point (usually in the 3-star tier) where you will run out of ISO and then you will be running an ISO deficit forever more.

CP: Hoard your command points. Save every single one and let it pile up. You don't need it right now. When you are in the 3-star tier you can start spending it to buy covers to finish covering the top-tier 3-stars (I bought a lot of 13th covers for 3-stars with CP). It will be tempting to buy legendary tokens with your CP but this should only be done once you have champed at least half the 3-stars (and ideally - all of them) and you're ready to join the 4-star tier.

LTs: Hoard your legendary tokens as well for the same reasons you're hoarding CP. 4-star and 5-star covers are not going to help you until you're well into the 3-star tier.

Champ them all: Eventually, you want to roster and champ all the twos, threes, and fours. Additional covers gained are then applied as 'champ levels'. These yield excellent rewards and make your characters stronger yet. Many events have nodes that require a character and having them all on roster, even if you don't level them, will help you be more competitive. One day, you may have all the fives too.

Focus on Story Mode: We call it PvE around here. This is where you can compete right out of the gate and where early rosters are built. Select a SCL (shield clearance level) that your roster is capable of handling - that means you can clear the harder nodes all 6 times. Don't be intimidated if the entry node in a PvE event looks too hard - you're given loaner characters that can handle it. After that, the enemies will be something your roster can handle as long as you don't select a SCL that's too high for your roster (a common early mistake). The rewards gained here will be your bread and butter.

Don't worry about Versus Mode: We call this arena PvP. I know it looks intimidating but don't worry about it. Do what you can and know that it will become easier as your roster advances. One extremely useful tip is that if you jump into a PvP event as soon as a slice starts (like, the exact minute) the game will populate your nodes with 'seed teams'. These are low-level AI opponents that you can beat up on easily for quick rewards.

Chase tokens: Acquiring Standard, Elite, Heroic, Tacos, and event tokens should be your goal right now. These are going to yield the 2-stars and 3-stars you need to advance. Every once in a while you'll trip across a 4-star cover. That's okay. If you have the roster space, save it for the future. If you don't have the roster space, don't feel guilty about selling it.

Do DDQ every day: Deadpool's Daily Quests is a great way to build resources and covers. Go as far as you can. Some nodes will  be too hard. Some nodes will require a character you don't have. Don't be dismayed. Eventually you'll get to a point where you do have the characters and they won't be too hard.

Welcome to Marvel Puzzle Quest. It's a marathon, not a sprint, but it's a lot of fun. Don't be a stranger to the forums there are a lot of helpful people here and lots of useful information.
  • Gaschde
    Options
    I want to thank all of you guys. 
    Many many thanks, Jaedenkaal, NotBAMF and Dormammu for those helpful tips! 

I feel more safe now with the thing I'm doing haha. 
    Unfortunatley I sold many 2* covers, but I think I will get them fast back hehe. 

Many many thanks again! For now, I will go and search an alliance :blush:
  • Gaschde
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm back :smiley:

I appreciated your tips and played along. 
    For some reason, I got many 2-3* (this Thor event is amazing). Somehow I always placed 1st and get two free tokens hihi. 

I have now 4 champed heroes (Thor, Hawkeye, Daken, Black Widow). 
    I could champ: Magneto, Ares, Storm, Captain Marvel, Wolverine, Bullseye, Moonstone and Steve Rogers.
    But unfortunatley, I have ISO issues :neutral: 
    I'm farming covers and ISO (selling all 1* covers...). 

I have only a small question. 
    Somehow, I'm (un-)lucky and get some 4* covers. 
    I received in the last days the following:

- Medusa
    - Cloak & Dagger
    - Hulkbuster
    - Cyclops
    - Quake
    - Captain Marvel

Should I just sell them without any doubts? 

• spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If you don't have the HP for roster slots, sell them.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    You could consider keeping the cyclops cover for the Venom Bomb event, so you can participate in the missions where he is required. Only if you have a spare roster slot for him, though. I wouldn't bother selling any 2*s or 3*s to make room for him just to play a few missions.
  • Gaschde
    Options
    Many thanks

And which of my 2* should I champ next?
    Magneto, Ares, Storm, Captain Marvel, Wolverine, Bullseye, Moonstone and Steve Rogers.
    I dont like Ares, because he got the same color like my Thor (which is one of my best heroes). 

• spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Magneto & Storm work very well together. Eventually you need to champ them all, so go with whichever hero has the most covers.
  • NotBAMF
    edited October 2017
    Options

Magneto/Bullseye/Storm is a great team because you match purples to get shield tiles from Bullseye and build Magneto's purple power. Then you fire his purple to generate more blue AP, which Storm then uses to wreck shop.

There's also a lot of synergy between Daken/Wolverine/Magneto, since you already have Daken covered. Wolverine's green power creates sword tiles, and any time you simply match green, you are already making them. Plus Magneto's purple power generates blue for Daken and red for Wolverine's hard-hitting powers.

And while there's no real reasoning behind it like those other teams have, I used to use a 2* team of Black Widow/Bullseye/Thor a LOT. I guess my idea was Bullseye's shields and BW's blue allow you to stall out while you build Thor's yellow and green and then blast people. With that team, you already have Thor and Widow champed.

And yeah, unless you have the spare roster spaces, the 4*'s you have probably won't help much. I'd hang on to them until the last few hours before they expire just in case and then sell them... you never know what might happen in the mean time. Maybe you'll somehow fall into more covers for one of them? Then you might as well roster them and see if they can be useful.

• Jaedenkaal
    Options
    Ares/Magneto/Storm are also an excellent team. Unless Storm is higher level than Ares, Ares and Magneto together make all the matches, saving Storm and her tiny health pool from taking damage under normal circumstances. As noted above, Polarity Shift -> Wind Storm will then finish most matches for you.

Wolverine/Thor/Black Widow was the other team I used a lot in the early days. While there's a lot of color overlap, Thor's Red is terrible while Wolverine's is pretty good; and Wolverine's Green makes cheap Strike tiles in the beginning of the match, which Black Widow can capitalize on with damage from Espionage (the match damage and the espionage damage gain the benefits from the Strike tiles separately, in effect "double dipping" on the strike tiles).
  • Addaran
    Addaran Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Options
    I love Magneto and he pairs pretty well with Hawkeye that you already have champed ( his purple is a guarrantied 5-match most of the time) 

And if you do get Magneto, Storm goes well with him too. Hawkeye/Magneto/Storm is pretty good, though it's does not use black and yellow. You -really- want lots of purple or at least blue.
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Since people are throwing out their favorite 2* teams:

Many teams with Mags/Storm work well. Pair them with Hawkeye, Thor, Wolverine, etc. Hawkeye is fun (Mags purple generates blue and fires off Hawkeye at the same time, while Thor was the original infinite team by the time I joined). 

Likewise, many teams with Black Widow and either Wolverine/Dakan work well. I usually bring Torch as a 3rd since he's a great glass cannon, but honestly the main damage will be Wolvie Green/Red and Widow's damage doubler with strike tiles, so several 3rds work.

Ares is probably the best damage dealer in 2* land, so he pairs well with several as well. I usually run him in a dark avenger team since it gives me something to do with Moonstone :)

Hope that helps!