The incubation period between character launch 'till entering tokens.

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
A character is released. 
We get a few covers from progression and other rewards.
When we have to wait almost a month before we can start claiming more covers from the token pool.

What do you think about this?
I guess there is some profit interest behind this incubation period. But to be honest, I'd probably spend a bit for a 40-pack right now if I could set Nightcrawler as bonus hero already. 
By the time he enters the token pool I'll probably have enough resources (CP, tokens, HP) to fully cover him - so doesn't this incubation actually make for the opposite of profit?
While I always get eager to cover a new character I'm also glad for this preventing me from going on a spending spree as soon as they're released.

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't you just love D3 eh. Encouraging hoarding while doing their darndest to discourage it.

They want you to spend now AND spend later, not just spend now or spend later!
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    They want you to spend on pve packs (.2%) and to buy out "and friends" vaults (1:80)
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well it's not always a month.  3Gambit was in the tokens like 3 days later.  Rogue was fairly quick too.  

It's just timing, and I personally welcome some characters being slow to tokens as it buys time to assemble the resources to do something about it.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,737 Chairperson of the Boards
    You are not considering the bragging factor.  Part of the reason that the initial offering is at abysmal odds, I think, is so that only those who will spend a lot of money can get it.  And then they have exclusivity through rarity and a “competitive advantage”.  (For those rare 4’s that give a competitive advantage to people who spend enough to get them early.  As opposed to the stable of champed 5’s.)

If the riff-raff who would spend $50 to $100 on a 40 pack could just make significant progress on a new character, then the whales don’t get to be ahead of the pack.

Also, part of the game is the long tail of completing anyone.  If you have a goal (Nightcrawler) and can quickly meet it, you might say “I did that.  Now I will stop playing/spending.”  In this sense, playing the game is akin to buying comics.  They never finish a story - the adventure always continues.  Similarly, the game is designed so that you are always chasing a new thing (2 week release schedule) and never fully catch up.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've never changed my spending habits to acquire a new character - unless you count hoarding but that's token opening, not spending. I know I'll get them eventually. So I don't really care.