Boosted 5* Gambit MMR

In the name of all that's holy, tell me this is a bug?  My highest 5* is a 462 Thanos, and yet these 500+ gambits seem to be in my MMR?!  Tell me that's a mistake.  Those gambits can single handedly wipe my 464 Thanos, 457 Black Panthor, and 3xx Doom.

Comments

• Talus9952
    Talus9952 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2017
    As an example, and I have screenshots of my skips.  my team:  462 Thanos, 457 Black Panther, 393 Dr Doom.  This is the highest team I can field for Doom PVP.

What I am queueing:
    510 Gambit, 450 Hawkeye, 379 Doom
    540 Gambit, 450 Spidey, 410 Doom
    480 Gambit, 453 Bolt, 412 Doom
    543 Gambit, 456 Black Panther, 388 Doom
    525 Gambit, 405 Thanos, 372 Doom
    543 Gambit, 455 Surfer, 412 Doom
    547 Gambit, 450 Hawkeye, 352 Doom

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    As far as I can tell, boosted levels don't affect matchmaking.  So what you're queueing, as far as MMR can tell, are level 400 through 467 Gambits, which have another 80 levels added onto them not being taken into account.

This is just one of the many problems with the new 5* boost in PvP.  If you don't buy into the new release as quickly as possible, you too are shut out of PvP competition, especially with a character as blatantly overpowered as Gambit.

[Necessary reminder that I do not work for D3 or Demiurge.]

I can handle the changes to progression, but these 5* boosts are going to make PvP untenable, even when a character as utterly game-breaking as Gambit moves on.
  • Talus9952
    This should not be the case though.  It's putting people in a worse queue hell than ever.  I normally do not see 500+ 5*s because it is out of my MMR.  Boosted 5*s should be treated the same way if boosted beyond my MMR.
  • Talus9952
    No comment on this horrible matchmacking?!  @Brigby @Tombstone
  • Talus9952
    I guess they're just going to ignore this issue.  Sitting at 600 - 700 , having trouble finding teams that are not 500+ gambits...
  • Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Hey guys, I don't have any information to update you with right now, but I'll be discussing this case further with the rest of the team later on. Once I have more information regarding this, I'll let you know. Sorry for the delay in the meantime.

*Update*
    Hey guys. Thank you for all the information you’ve provided. I just relayed it to the rest of the team, and they’ll be sure to discuss and review Matchmaking’s functionality. Once I’ve heard back from them, I’ll update everyone with their response.
  • Talus9952
    Again, hitting a wall of unbeatable gambits at 700, you guys owe me thousands in iso skip...  
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    And now the 500 Gambits have been replaced by 500 Thors.

@Tombstone please check back with the devs, we need a solution for this.
  • Talus9952
    Yep.  Like many other issues, there's little hope these get resolved in a timely manner.
  • Dayv
    Bowgentle said:
    Fewer of them, at least.  Gambit is incredibly overpowered and was briefly offered at higher than intended odds in his release tokens, so a lot of people opened their CP hoards for him, and a bunch more opened hoards as soon as he entered Latest Tokens.  Thor is very, very strong below 50% health, but there are fewer hoards ready to open just one month later.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dayv said:
    Bowgentle said:
    Fewer of them, at least.  Gambit is incredibly overpowered and was briefly offered at higher than intended odds in his release tokens, so a lot of people opened their CP hoards for him, and a bunch more opened hoards as soon as he entered Latest Tokens.  Thor is very, very strong below 50% health, but there are fewer hoards ready to open just one month later.
    That doesn't change the fact that a 90 level boost in PVP totally breaks the game.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    So, this sounds more like Feedback than a bug...
  • Dayv
    We don't really have clarity into the intentions of MMR, so it could be considered a potential bug.  Are boosted characters supposed to have the MMR value of an unboosted one, as they seem to?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dayv said:
    We don't really have clarity into the intentions of MMR, so it could be considered a potential bug.  Are boosted characters supposed to have the MMR value of an unboosted one, as they seem to?
    Hm, I guess that's fair. Although as far as I can tell the designers treat character boosts as "bonuses" rather than actual upgrades. Roster-based scaling in story events was the same.

Of course, this completely avoids the reality where having a boosted character (or, more likely, most of them) is really a requirement for completing an event in any reasonable way, and this is more pronounced the higher the tier you play in.

A freshly champed 3* at 166, boosted to 249 for the week, only sees a 20% increase in damage (and other such power values that scale with level), essentially no increase in match damage, and 48% increase in health, while a 4* character boosted from 270 to 366 from that same weekly boost gets a 100% increase in power damage (and etc...), a 90-95% increase in "strong" match damage and a 98% increase in health.

And, it also completely avoids the other reality where not all characters at the same tier level and character level are the same 'power level'. Pretty much no matter what your definition of power level is.
  • Talus9952
    Starting to become an issue again.  Now that Thor is in latest, people have pulled, and 540+ Thors starting to show up in regular queues again.  Any update on this front @Tombstone?
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    Talus9952 said:
    Starting to become an issue again.  Now that Thor is in latest, people have pulled, and 540+ Thors starting to show up in regular queues again.  Any update on this front @Tombstone?
    This will be the norm unless the newest 5* is a dud like banner and doc ock