Yay, pvp is now backwards!

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Cl 5 and 6 brackets are 8-15 deep in champed 5* rosters. Even in late brackets.

Meanwhile dedicated 3* and 4* players are moving up to cl7 where they can grind out 4* covers.

If this is the intended outcome of the new pvp system, then something is very wrong at demi.

Comments

• byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    I've dropped myself in this season's Shield to 7 because I losses don't matter, so fight easier teams.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    byc said:
    I've dropped myself in this season's Shield to 7 because I losses don't matter, so fight easier teams.
    In PVP, MMR and the matches you see are slice-specific, not Clearance Level-specific. A person playing in CL8 can see a person playing in CL5, as long they are both playing the same slice, and are within MMR range of each other. The only thing the Clearance Level you choose in PVP really affects is your specific 500-person bracket, and your awards. You might be able to avoid a mega whale in your bracket, but they can still pound you if in the same slice. 
  • Vhailorx
    byc said:
    That isn't quite how it works.  Not unless you are drop down so low that there are no rosters as good as or bette than yours.  But the premise of this thread is that top tier rosters are now dipping as low as cl5 in every event.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Using this as an argument isn't good.  They could simply lock anything below 7 or 8 for the 5* players and then people would be even more mad.  I'm staying in 7/8 but I appreciate the people who are spreading out.  
  • Vhailorx
    Ruinate said:
    Using this as an argument isn't good.  They could simply lock anything below 7 or 8 for the 5* players and then people would be even more mad.  I'm staying in 7/8 but I appreciate the people who are spreading out.  
    They could also just remove 15 cp from all placement rewards.  There is no end of nasty things they could do.  The point is that they jave made a system where endgame rewards are more available in cls 5 and 6 than they are in cls 7 and 8, but second tier rewards are only available in cl7+.  

The incentive structure for pvp clearance levels is upside down.
  • Vhailorx

... no comment necessary.
    It's true, my original post would have been better with long, 17th century "s"es.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    They need to improve the progression rewards in CL7 and up to incentivize participation in them. Opening up the better placement rewards to about 25 more people makes no difference to most players. The difference between the progression rewards in CL6 to CL7 to CL8 is like, under 1,000 ISO and maybe a single 3* cover? I don't have a comparison readily available but that might not even be an exaggeration. There should be marked differences between each CL and they should be significant enough that you often want to participate in the highest CL available to you.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also, if the argument behind postponing new CLs has been "There aren't enough people playing in the highest CL yet to warrant the next one above it," we'll never reach that benchmark as the lousy increase in rewards just spreads everyone at the top out over the lower CLs.

They should just debut CL10 (in PvE, and CL9 and CL10 in PvP) and make it so there are several 4* covers in progression and in a larger amount of placement rewards, and so that the top progression rewards are a significant chunk of ISO and CP. The top placement rewards should be those 5*-only LTs we've seen once or twice. This will guarantee that 5* players will want to stay in the upper CLs as it will actually be worth their time.
  • Justice Jacks
    Justice Jacks Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    RedLion said:
    I think it's hilarious that while the developers can bait the mouse traps however they want, they can't control the mice.  
    Or what if this is exactly what they wanted and we are laughing at their lack of being able to control us all the while, we['re being controlled.   Ahhhh!!!
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    But PvP backwards is...PvP o_o
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    byc said:

This is backwards. SCL really only affects the progression rewards and your placement (in that you presumably have less competition at the top of the scoreboard in lower SCLs). In an event with no placement like the SHIELD Simulator all that happens when you pick anything less than the highest available SCL is that you get less progression rewards.

Remember: SCL has no effect on matchmaking. You still fight the same opponents regardless of the SCL you pick.