Are 5* Boosts the New Normal and How Long Will They Last?

ZeroKarma
ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
@Brigby

I know we have discussed the boost in several threads, and maybe I missed this bit of information. Can we safely assume that new 5* will be boosted moving forward? So, when someone from the Thor movie gets introduced (check the new icons), that character will be boosted. 

How long is that going to be? Until the next 5* comes along? The boost is huge, and it already feels like Gambit has been boosted forever. Is it a month? Is it a season? 

I'm also confused about the mixed signals. Based on PvE, I would have guessed that the devs want people to stop hoarding so that they aren't at a disadvantage against players with the Latest covered. But, knowing that you will be at an even worse competitive disadvantage in PvP when a new 5* is released you should probably actually hoard after all. Is that correct? 

Comments

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    @ZeroKarma

Yes. 5-Star characters will be buffed more frequently now. For the first 4 weeks that a 5-Star is released, they will be a part of the New Character Power-Up list. Events featuring 5-star characters will also have them buffed.
  • ZeroKarma
    Thanks for the quick response Brigby. The boost for these is pretty sensational, as I’m sure many people noticed. Getting one champed out of the gate is not like getting a new 4* after their PvE. It puts you right at the top of the meta against the megawhales.

Can we expect to see them rotated weekly in the near future like all other tiers or will it be limited to new release and PvE essential?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    As of right now, I am only aware of 5-Star characters being buffed based on new release duration and PvE essential. For your reference though, the PvE essential character will rotate from 3 Latest to 2 Classic, then back to 3 Latest.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    The new character boost already feels too long.  Now that Gambit is in packs and hoards have been opened, every single high-scoring PvP player is running a 500+ level Gambit.  And we have 2 more weeks of this?  Ugh.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    I really like the pve 5* boosts and think this is really well done

the PvP boost is way overdone - I get somewhat of a boost but it needs reducing and massively tapering once the underlying character is championed - plus having a month long boost destroying the entire season for those without the benefit of the 25% store odds ‘bug’ or a massive hoard to pull as soon as the new character enters tokens is just soul destroying in a game that’s already doing its best to destroy my soul with the sadness of recent changes.

@Brigby please relay this to the devs - far to much of my time and money has gone into this game and the Line community is hugely fun group of different people but I and a lot of people I talk to are really close to breaking point and it’s sad becuase I don’t want to be done but things like this are pushing me towards the door 
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    The gambit boost is a tad over the top. The fact that guys who did well out of the opening vault with the "intro" odds are floating to first place each event confirms this. They not even have to #. Just totally clogging up your Q
  • ZeroKarma
    Regarding the PvE boosts and the 5* essential I think they are a neat add-on to the game. It’s fun to use a boosted 5* like that, but you need them to beat those nodes.

This may be unpopular, but I think 3 latest/2 classic is the wrong way to go about it. PvE should favor deep rosters and allow players to use all of the weapons in their arsenal, whereas PVP is a landing spot for the flavor of the month and rotating power couples. 

I suggest flipping that ratio and increasing it to something like 2 classics/1 latest. I know D3 wants people to blow their hoards and spend to champ the latest 5* but PVP’s new month-long boost should be more than enough.
  • Ron30
    Ron30 Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    I'm not opposed to the boost, but 4 weeks for a single new release to be boosted is insane!
    Add in the fact that 5* can now be purchased in Heroes for Hire (when they specifically said 5* can't be purchased, then circumvented that by allowing the purchase of CP), plus CP is only available to T10 placement winners in PVP. 

The entire game has just been redesigned to assist only the big spenders. Paying used to grant an advantage, which was fine, but now it's the only way to win.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    So with this change to boost 5*s, let's see how it affects PvP:

A new 5* character is boosted for 4 weeks, but only 2 weeks after they enter tokens.  So hoarders that can champ a new 5* as soon as they enter tokens will have 2 weeks to enjoy the super-boost.  That's 6 PvP events out of a 10-event season.  That's a MASSIVE advantage for hoarders.

So to summarize:  hoarding is mandatory
  • Talus9952
    Talus9952 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Can't progress in pvp when all I can Q are unbeatable 500+ gambits, most of them 540+.   My highest is 462 thanos, followed by 457 black panther.
  • ZeroKarma
    To add to the perfect storm, Gambit is significantly overpowered compared to most other 5*. A single 550 OML, for example, can run over other teams but it can be handled with careful character selection and denying black.  You can't starve Gambit of AP, so he doesn't need any partners, and his red can maul a pair of standard 5* fairly quickly

A loaner 3* + anyone + Gambit = CP in at the 1200 point progression. Oh wait.... :wink:
  • Talus9952
    Featured PVP matchmaking is so broken right now with these boosts.  I keep Qing these almost nothing but these unbeatable matches when i normally wouldn't even Q a lv 500 5*.  540+ gambits keep clogging up my Qs, this is stupid.
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    matchmaking is broken for 5* rosters for quite some time. Even though every day we get more and more people who are getting to 5* game play after opening their hoards, i still only able to see same few (4-6) targets. Only after some 900+ points i start seeing more people, in slices like s3/s4 i start seeing lots of new 75 points matches, in lower scoring slices that is the point when MMR usually break. MMR algorithm really needs to be changed, especially now that buffed new 5* are a thing
  • Talus9952
    You could at least queue reasonable teams before now.  Now, its just unbeatable 540+ gambits after another.  You pray to queue a panthos team that's around your level.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    The 5 star boost displays an arrogance of the dev team.  It says, that the new characters are perfectly play tested, and that they won't ever have to nerf them. Because of this they think they can introduce them to the play environment and there will be no problems, if boosted.  Considering the history of the dev team and how they nerfed Old man logan, when he was working as intended, it makes me wonder, "where they get this strange unhinged confidence from?" 
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    The 5 star boost displays an arrogance of the dev team.  It says, that the new characters are perfectly play tested, and that they won't ever have to nerf them. Because of this they think they can introduce them to the play environment and there will be no problems if boosted.  Considering the history of the dev team and how they nerfed Old man logan, when he was working as intended, it makes me wonder, where they get this strange unhinged confidence from. 

They display the business model of the game.

What better way to entice players to spend to get the a character champed as quickly as possible.

• nigelregal
    nigelregal Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    a Level 450 5* should just be boosted to like 475 or so. At least then it has a bit more strength but not overwhelming.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,737 Chairperson of the Boards
    Starfury said:
    The 5 star boost displays an arrogance of the dev team.  It says, that the new characters are perfectly play tested, and that they won't ever have to nerf them. Because of this they think they can introduce them to the play environment and there will be no problems if boosted.  Considering the history of the dev team and how they nerfed Old man logan, when he was working as intended, it makes me wonder, where they get this strange unhinged confidence from. 

They display the business model of the game.

What better way to entice players to spend to get the a character champed as quickly as possible.

It's this times 1000.  I'm sure the revenues dropped when releasing two 5's in a row that were widely viewed as "avoid them" (5SL and DocOck).  Not going to get into discussions about merits here...just perception.  And 5pidey is fun but works best with a spider partner...not changing the 5* meta there.  Same with Hawkeye (great with a 4* partner, horrible on defense).  DD is good, yes, but needs a partner for sure.

They tried to goose purchases with 5SL with the essential node.  Now they found a new way, just like Shield Training tries to encourage 4* whaling.

Make a self sustaining 5 that can dominate.  Boost him/her.  Hope for purchases to go up.