How 'bout MMR worked like this:

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
1. Pick your team.

2. MMR calculates proper enemies from the average level of the team you chose.

This would lead to being able to have fun with those 140 characters you never or rarely use because current MMR is practically forcing you to use only your top-level characters.

Claim:
"But people would expolit this by using their easy teams, get hit then seek revenge with their stronger teams!"

Response:
"No. You shouldn't be able to use a different team for revenge than the team that got beat."

Comments

• Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Do you realise how much load this will add to the server? For every retal node, the game must now track the team in order to enforce a limit. A pvp event has 3 nodes that could go ten deep. Then there is shield sim with another 5 nodes. Add to that when there are overlapping pvp events in the week. This is just for a single player. Multiply that by the number of pvp players and the server will crash!
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I’m sure there are ways to design a solution and optimise what you are proposing. But looking back, the game has crashed a handful of times at the start of boss events (indication that there is a hard limit to what the current servers can cope with), and the constant excuse of not making pvp nodes display the live point value (instead of the cached value on queue). Just these two points alone makes me doubt they will be willing to do any drastic changes. 
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Making the nodes meaningful wouldn't/shouldn't be too much of an extra load though:

Eg. 
    Node A: Easy opponents (1 MMR tier below you, for fewer points)
    Node B: Normal opponents (your MMR tier, for normal points)
    Node C: Hard opponents (1 MMR Tier above you, for extra points)

It's probably exploitable at the high end somehow, but it would (at the least) keep people from getting stuck cycling the same 3 targets. 

• Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    mexus said:
    Pongie said:
    Do you realise how much load this will add to the server? For every retal node, the game must now track the team in order to enforce a limit. A pvp event has 3 nodes that could go ten deep. Then there is shield sim with another 5 nodes. Add to that when there are overlapping pvp events in the week. This is just for a single player. Multiply that by the number of pvp players and the server will crash!
    I don't realize that. I'm not a system architect or developer, just a player with a suggestion for those with more knowledge to evaluate. :)

I don't even understand why there are nodes in Vesus mode.
    Why not just choose a team, click some "find opponent" button and have the game find a proper enemy calculated from the strength of the team you chose. Doesn't actually sound too demanding, but then again, what do I actually know about servers? 

There are nodes so retals and opponents can be queued up.  When you skip, the game doesn't actually check the server for a new opponent.  It pulls an opponent it has already found in the background earlier.  That's why sometimes you can skip, attack an opponent, and find they're worth a lot more or a lot less than the game said.  You actually queued them hours ago.

It also means you can do a few skips with no internet connection.  It makes that part of the game a smooth experience even with a spotty connection.

I don't think MMR needs an overhaul, but it could use a tweak or two to open it up a little more at the higher levels.  
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    There is some variance. You can go out with dual 5s from the beginning, and later "grill" with a 5 a 4 and the loaner. 

So there is an acceptable range, they would just need to broaden that some. 
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like the idea of matching your MMR to the strongest team you've used that event.  There's only so much ratcheting you can do on retals.  You can play with your 2's and 3's for as long as you want, but once you decide to go nuclear and field your champed 5's, you're stuck there.  Your advantage is two to three matches, which is insignificant so long as the points remain capped at 75.

Maybe there's a way to abuse it.  Presumably you'll still be visible within a certain range up, though, so sticking with your bottom of the barrel team isn't going to keep you safe.  You probably wouldn't want to base the MMR on a straight average, either.  1 x 550 + 2 x 1 averages out to 184.  A team of low 3* champs (and especially boosted 2's) will be easily decimated by a single max-champ 5 with anchors.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    mexus said:
    1. Pick your team.

2. MMR calculates proper enemies from the average level of the team you chose.

This would lead to being able to have fun with those 140 characters you never or rarely use because current MMR is practically forcing you to use only your top-level characters.

Claim:
    "But people would expolit this by using their easy teams, get hit then seek revenge with their stronger teams!"

Response:
    "No. You shouldn't be able to use a different team for revenge than the team that got beat."

Check out the injustice 2 mobile game, they do something very similar.  The downside is that points arent equal.  Put in a bunch of low levels, fight some low levels, and get low points.  Put in your max team, fight a much better team, get more points.  

It would definitely be neat to open up the mmr in this game, though.  If i saw more 4* players, and wasn't practically forced to use my 5*, the wins would be easier.  Since people at lower levels should be less concerned with points now, they shouldn't care as much about getting knocked back down,  so I don't see why they don't do that.