4* DDQ: Kingpin vs. Luke Cag3

Options
DarthDeVo
DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
Man, how 'bout that Kingpin "buff"?

I managed to get him the second time with a 2/3/3 Level 168 Kingpin, but just barely. I did a +2 R/Y, +2 P/B and +100% match damage boost and finished with 1170 health. Token to the hoard. 

First try was with no boosts and Kingpin was still Level 147. Just a few days ago I had gotten Bullsey3 up to 223 for an extra KP cover using bonus heroes, and I'm glad I did. I got Cag3 to about half his health, so decided to level and boost up.

Still, thank God the AI seems to get real dumb and not go for black when it can. Towards the end, he had a Jab tile out and there were probably a half dozen ways it could have gotten the AP it needed to finish me off, but always made unbelievably nonsense moves. Pretty much the only reason I won. 

This fight sucks, especially for undercovered/underleveled KP. I would suggest denying black and yellow where you can, although your purple destroys his yellow, so that does help some. 

At the level I'm at, KP's black is essentially useless. It was always better for my CDs to resolve. It did allow me to finish off the match, but only because I had enough AP to fire it twice in a row. This skill desperately needs to be reworked. Heck, just turn it back to what it used to be. At the very least, modify it so that if there's only one target left, it will only ever do the single target damage rather than the weaker AoE. I definitely would have used it more in this fight if that's how it would operate. 

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Yeah this really makes his nerf look even worse than it is (and it was pretty bad).

I did it on the 3rd time with 4/4/5 L150, but was close on both the other too.  I used 3 AP boosts to give me a +2 rainbow boost.  The biggest thing to remember it so avoid firing his purple unless you have fewer than 3 countdown tiles up (and even then it might now be worth it.  For me 2 snipers at ~2500 each is more than ~3300 damage...)  Using them with 3 tiles up will result in less damage, which is really silly...  Cages shield tiles also make it worse by making brute forcing it with match damage much harder.

+1 to hoard, not at 114 LTs.
  • DarthDeVo
    edited October 2017
    Options
    broll said:
    Yeah this really makes his nerf look even worse than it is (and it was pretty bad).

I did it on the 3rd time with 4/4/5 L150, but was close on both the other too.  I used 3 AP boosts to give me a +2 rainbow boost.  The biggest thing to remember it so avoid firing his purple unless you have fewer than 3 countdown tiles up (and even then it might now be worth it.  For me 2 snipers at ~2500 each is more than ~3300 damage...)  Using them with 3 tiles up will result in less damage, which is really silly...  Cages shield tiles also make it worse by making brute forcing it with match damage much harder.

+1 to hoard, not at 114 LTs.
    I think you mean black, not purple. It seems to be a power that hurts the more covers you have in yellow.

My KP puts out four tiles when I cast it right now: 3 thugs and a Muscle (with fairly weak tiles, btw. Can we get some REAL Muscle tiles?). The only way it's better for me to use the black rather than letting the CDs resolve is to fire it twice in a row. Once for the weaker AoE and removal of three tiles, second time to remove the last tile and get the single target damage. 

I don't know, maybe that would work for you too, but it would hurt losing those sniper tiles. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Level 172, 4/3/5, first try, no boosts. Change to Wilson's Gambit was lame, but Purple into Yellow is still decent (and steals Yellow from Cage, also a bonus).
  • thechairman
    thechairman Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    2/5/5 levelled up to 204 from my iso hoard to ensure I didn't need boost. Had a yellow flooded board and by the time I cleared off the yellow matches, had enough to rip off two pawns for an easy win.

Red Drax to 1/3/3, another might be interesting next time crash.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I went into this not expecting much, but apparently level 209 2/3/5 Wilson can do it without boosts if you get a lucky board with lots of purple, and the AI is good enough to match away its protect tile right before your sniper countdowns go off.

Token gave Phil another champ level.
  • DarthDeVo
    Options
    granne said:
    I went into this not expecting much, but apparently level 209 2/3/5 Wilson can do it without boosts if you get a lucky board with lots of purple, and the AI is good enough to match away its protect tile right before your sniper countdowns go off.

Token gave Phil another champ level.
    Yeah, probably another thing that helped me win was the AI matching away its protect tile, then I got a pretty decent cascade on my next turn. In all honesty, I think I got pretty lucky to take him down on my second try. If one or two things would have gone the other way, it would have been a different story. 
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Options
    5/3/5 level 279.

Easy win for champed Wilson. Only real advise for this is only use his black ability if you have fewer than 3 cd tiles.

Token to the hoard.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Long, tedious fight for my level 188 3/5/3 Kingpin. I managed it on my first try, but it was really close - I was at 154 HP when he went down for the count. I ended up protecting my countdowns instead of using the poke - doesn't say much positive about the changes to his black skill. 

I was well rewarded for my efforts though, as my token yielded a yellow Rogue! That brings her up to the lofty heights of a 0/0/2 build. 
  • Neuromancer
    Neuromancer Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2017
    Options
    lvl 135 1/1/4

Two attempts. No buffs. I definitely got lucky.

In the victorious attempt I fired off Maggia Pawns a total of three times, one of those was a back-to-back use in which none of the countdowns were matched away (I made moves to protect all the pawns, even the muscles). The thugs did most of the heavy lifting, especially when the muscle tiles added strike tiles before the thugs shot. Cage matched away his own protect tile a couple times, and I also managed to remove it during a couple of match-fives for added injury to insult. The thugs killed him, it never got to the third sniper tile.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Lvl 168 0/2/5 got it first go

not having any black covers wasn’t an issue as I wanted all the countdowns to resolve anyway

Token was a green doc Ock to make him 2/0/1
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Options
    3/5/5 lv 273, won easily but was still frustrated about not being able to fire black without CDs on the board. I actually tried to use it out of habit. Fired purple once and yellow twice.

Pulled my second blue 5pidey cover with the token.
  • Dataspectre
    Dataspectre Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Took me a few days to complete due to bad color board. Kingpin: L168 2/0/5, no boosts.

Just simply snatch yellow, denied black, fire Maggia Pawns twice and watch Luke Cage fall, didn't bother using the 'poke' (Wilson's Gambit)

Saving LT.

• DarthDeVo
    Options
    mexus said:
    My Kingpin doesn't have any yellow covers and I understand I don't stand a chance really.
    Yeah, unfortunately without any yellow covers, Kingpin is functionally useless in a one -on-one battle. 
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Champed Kingpin did with first attempt. This is how: Gained purple and used, got yellow, used it, then two pokes