Mordo (new powers)

Options
Tintaiwan
Tintaiwan Posts: 172 Tile Toppler
Hi

Newest Champ Mordo.  It seems he needs a good pairing, and really can't stand on his own, even boosted.  Here are my questions:

Useful teammate? Ever on his own? just useless?

How to play him 3/5/5 or 5/5/3?

Then who does he pair up well with?

Comments

• JarvisJackrabbit
    JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I love using him at 3/5/5 with Riri and IM40. I have seven champed 4*s and those three together are my favorite team overall right now. They carried me all the way through the Apocalypse event.
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Options
    He has probably the best purple in 4* land.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Anybody who can generate purple, black or blue works really well with him but his HP reduction has made him a little bit more of a glass cannon than he used to be.  He might be a lot of fun with Nightcrawler (TBD), he pairs well with 3Fist or Scarlet Witch and I use him most often with C&D or Carol and OML and spam his black attack.  If I am after his blue I run him with Carol and SS and spam his blue to generate black for Carol.  If you do not have that particular 5 just pair him with somebody who can tank well Rogue may be a good one in 4 land but I do not have enough covers of her to test this team.  For goon only PVE don't bother slotting covers into pink your rarely get more that 10 ap and if not boosted you wont use it much, only go with pink when using in pvp or in pve against tile matching teams.  When boosted his pink is one of the most dangerous powers in the game.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 624 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Finally using my Mordo mostly-built in this PVE, and loving him alongside Gambit + either Black Bolt or Lockjaw!
  • hopper1979
    Options
    I am not sure if I like that pair up of Mordo's with Gambit.  Gambit's black shuts down Mordo's purple and generates red and purple so what is the point of bringing Mordo if you can't use his purple? Are you just bringing Mordo to get charged tiles on the board from his black for Blackbolt?  If that is the case Lockjaw, 4Thor or 4Hulk are probably better choices for getting out charged tiles.  If I am missing something with the Gambit, Mordo pair let me know because it would be awesome (especially when boosted) to put the pink towards Mordo's attack.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am not sure if I like that pair up of Mordo's with Gambit.  Gambit's black shuts down Mordo's purple and generates red and purple so what is the point of bringing Mordo if you can't use his purple? Are you just bringing Mordo to get charged tiles on the board from his black for Blackbolt?  If that is the case Lockjaw, 4Thor or 4Hulk are probably better choices for getting out charged tiles.  If I am missing something with the Gambit, Mordo pair let me know because it would be awesome (especially when boosted) to put the pink towards Mordo's attack.
    No, you're not missing anything, it's not a great combo. TA Hulk makes charged tiles at a much better rate than Mordo, and doesn't get locked out of any of his powers.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Carol, Riri & Mordo are a really good and fun rainbow team :)

He is not useless on his own if you play him 3/5/5, but black is pretty poor and you shouldn't rely on it (maybe only to finish the fight or an opponent that would deal a lot of damage to your team if he does not die on the spot). 
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Run him 3/5/5. Getting the extra damage on black is such a hassle that it's not worth it. Just use it as a relatively cheap, self-fueling attack for finishing off weakened characters. Blue and purple, on the other hand, will melt faces.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jarvind said:
    Run him 3/5/5. Getting the extra damage on black is such a hassle that it's not worth it. Just use it as a relatively cheap, self-fueling attack for finishing off weakened characters. Blue and purple, on the other hand, will melt faces.
    When he's unboosted I go 3/5/5, but when boosted I like him 5/3/5 with Cloak and Dagger. Once it really gets going you're nuking the opposite team into the ground in no time.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I find myself using 3/5/5 Agent Venom, 3/5/5 Mordo, and Blade as a team a lot. They are 3 of my 5 highest level characters. Full rainbow, and they all share black but only AV would use it. Mordo just there for blue and purple nukes. They don't synergize much, but I like using that team.

5 black is only useful in long matches, where you have enough time to collect ap to fire powers multiple times. Kinda good in long goon wave nodes, otherwise he's 3/5/5. I liked Mordo better before the change.
  • shadowyoshi
    shadowyoshi Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I run him 3/5/5 with Captain Marvel (better black) and Nova. He's the outlet for both Purple and Blue. It's fun in Shield Sim with that crew.
  • Vold
    Vold Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think he's good if there's a way to make the enemy gather AP fast or on passive or non skill colours

then use purple on them for a potential 20,000 dmg

would like to see that happened with a nightcrawler AP frenzy...

https://youtu.be/jy_bdE0o3QI
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've used him 5/3/5 as a third for 4Thor & IM40, in addition to a few of the previously-mentioned teams.  A lot of people seem to underestimate his purple, because I tend to get more defensive wins with Mordo in his boost weeks than other teams in PVP.  That's probably due to all the passives in the current 4* meta, though...
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    mordo/switch/gambattery is fun. especially against carol danvers, oh man
  • hopper1979
    Options
    You are the second person to put Mordo and Gambit together, why?  The only thing we can come up with is the charged tiles.  But Gambit neuters Mordo's best power, his pink, as well as his blue which is his most consistent damage dealer so if you are using Mordo for his black power only this is crazy.  If you are just after charged tiles switch to 4Hulk, he makes more charges, more cheaply with his black, his blue is a passive that is not affected by Gambit and he has a good board-shake green that is not affected by Gambit.  Like the previous person who suggested putting Gambit and Mordo together what are you seeing that makes them good, or are they your only high level 3/4 characters?  I am always looking for interesting teams and unique combos but I am not seeing this one and from the above conversations nobody else is either.  :)
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nightcrawler’s purple might be a contender, but lacks the direct damage potential.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,112 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mexus said:
    Dayv said:
    Nightcrawler’s purple might be a contender, but lacks the direct damage potential.
    Keep in mind the insane AP generation possibilities of his purple. Whatever color he creates, you're almost certain to fill an AP pool up enough to activate a skill.

+ bonus: his purple makes him immune to AoE attacks. Winner skill.
    And if the most common color on the board is purple, he can go infinite all by himself.  I did that in the loaner node in his event.  Spend seven purple to put eight purple on the board?  Once I got the seven purple and cast it, it was game over.  I just kept making purple.

As for Mordo, he's definitely a 3/5/5.  Purple on a non-rainbow team is a nearly certain one-shot kill late in the game.  I've been using him with 3-star THor in the Arena event, as they're a rainbow unto themselves.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
     But Gambit neuters Mordo's best power, his pink, as well as his blue which is his most consistent damage dealer so if you are using Mordo for his black power only this is crazy. 
    How does Gambit interfere with Mordo Blue?
  • hopper1979
    Options
    It does not sorry, I got my Gambit colors confused I am only at 2/2/2 with him and have not used him much.  :) Gambit really screws up Mordo's pink which is the one power you want to use if you pair him him with Gambit because of Gambits pink/red acceleration.  So basically you are getting no speed increase to Mordo's best power from Gambit he is just a partner with so-so overlap color overlap.  Mordo's blue is solid but slow, his black is ok but probably his weakest power.  There are better people to get charged tiles out there who are not affected by Gambits passive, Lockjaw and 4Hulk come to mind.  There are definitely better 4-star partners for Gambit as good as he is his restriction limits your options if you want to use all the active powers.
  • robertbah
    robertbah Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    You are the second person to put Mordo and Gambit together, why?  The only thing we can come up with is the charged tiles.  But Gambit neuters Mordo's best power, his pink, as well as his blue which is his most consistent damage dealer so if you are using Mordo for his black power only this is crazy.  If you are just after charged tiles switch to 4Hulk, he makes more charges, more cheaply with his black, his blue is a passive that is not affected by Gambit and he has a good board-shake green that is not affected by Gambit.  Like the previous person who suggested putting Gambit and Mordo together what are you seeing that makes them good, or are they your only high level 3/4 characters?  I am always looking for interesting teams and unique combos but I am not seeing this one and from the above conversations nobody else is either.  :)
    He refers to gambitbattery( aka goonbit, 0/0/5gambit).