Which color is your Main in paper MtG?

Options
Which color(s) do you all use (or used to) when you play a real life game of Magic?

I haven't played in years, but I tended to gravitate towards Red and "go for broke" in my playing. Basically tried to output as much damage as fast as possible but have no defenses up. Really overwhelmed a lot of inexperienced players and even caught veterans off-guard when they didn't expect it.

When players started to catch on to my tactics and started to play Blue and/or Green, my backup Black deck that swarms the board with tokens was a perfect counter to their counter :smile:

Comments

• Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I like RDW and white weenies best but enjoy almost anything but blue control. 
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Cue Patrick Chapin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UkbsS8wmMc&t=21m23s

[edit] Gah, the forum lost the time offset on my video. Skip to 21m 22s
  • Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 544 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've always played black. Very casually. Only play with friends and family so our decks were all legacy. I play a vampire tribal deck with a lot of return creature from graveyard.
  • mrixl2520
    mrixl2520 Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Oooh good question! My fav color combo in paper is blue/green, as I like the control and card draw of blue and the big beats of green. My favorite color shifts a bit from set to set, I think my current favorite is green. Prior to that blue was number one. In order I think I like green most, then blue, then red, then black, then white. 

PQMTG is a bit different. Red & Green are definitely my strongest colors, due largely to rares & mythics. I also like the way they play. Blue is definitely my weakest color, though I enjoy my 2 color blue decks a lot. White is still my least favorite color though. White weenies and boring humans don’t do much for me :)

• ElvaanStride
    ElvaanStride Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options
    @mrixl2520

I'm having a blast with my White team at the moment. Blockers, healing and big buffs all match long and White has my best Win% in PvP/PvE.
  • mrixl2520
    mrixl2520 Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @ElvaanStrider

Nice! White is totally viable, don't get me wrong there. Back in the day (all of 2 years ago when the game was new) my strongest deck was Gideon. Knight of the White Orchid basically tanked the deck, creating a nearly unbeatable blocker.

I like all the colors for their uniqueness and strengths, I just find the other colors a little more interesting.

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I primarily ran Boros during my playing days. I gravitate towards aggro and tempo. White weenie was something I gravitated toward in Revised and never looked back. 

This is probably why I'm so easily frustrated by objectives that force me to wait, rather than allowing me to simply kill my opponent as quickly and efficiently as possible. "Kill 3 or more enemy creatures" is like pulling fingernails. 

Izzet was probably my second favorite. 

• ElvaanStride
    Options
    @madwren

"Kill X or more enemy creatures" just makes me use Red. If I'm restricted to another color, every one has some way to directly damage or Destroy.

You can also put Defender/Reach/Vigilance or Berserker on an enemy creature with a Spell and force them to take hits. 
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I tend to gravitate toward effects that have the "whenever you cast an instant or sorcery" tagline, which effectively puts me solidly in red/blue.
  • madwren
    Options
    @madwren

"Kill X or more enemy creatures" just makes me use Red. If I'm restricted to another color, every one has some way to directly damage or Destroy.

You can also put Defender/Reach/Vigilance or Berserker on an enemy creature with a Spell and force them to take hits. 

Indeed. Perhaps I was unclear, so I'll expound a bit, hopefully not derailing the thread:

It has nothing to do with the actual killing of enemy creatures. Killing them is easy. My frustration is that the objective is counter to both my playstyle and red's strengths.  By forcing me to wait until enemy creatures are cast, it detracts from the thrill of playing red, especially against those decks that have minimal creature counts.

It artificially prolongs games. It turns a 3-minute match into a 15-minute exercise, during which I could have won three times over if I wasn't being forced to sit there, card after after card, hoping the AI drops something for me to immediately kill--or, if the deck is creatureless, finding out that it was a total waste of time altogether.  

It's similar to the green objective of "summon 3 or less creatures". It's taking the planeswalker's strength--oftentimes the reason a person plays the color--and deliberately neutering it. 

• ElvaanStride
    Options
    @madwren

Green isn't necessarily a color you need to pump out creatures. I go for bigger hitters and big buffs when I'm told to Summon 3 or less.
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I’m a blue mage... mostly. I splash out into other colors for fun sometimes. 
  • ElvaanStride
    Options
    @Sarahschmara

Do you find Blue is the best color to combo with others? Whenever I build multi-color decks I include Blue unless the deck was built specifically for another purpose.
  • ElvaanStride
    Options
    Anyone have success with using Shards or Wedges?
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @ElvaanStrider I started with blue-white waaay back when and then switched to pure blue control. I tend towards fiddly decks that might not be the most winningest. Also, I’m kind of a jerk so I favor red’s land destruction and I love cats so, you know, white is a good color for that. 

For me, it’s not always about winning, you know? I love the social aspect of staying up too late deckbuilding and testing strategies but I can’t fit that into my life anymore. 

That’s where this game and my slack community comes in. I have the game AND the friends to geek out with, right on my phone.

I think it’s this way for a lot of us which is why we’re so passionate and vocal about the game. Although, I always prefer to focus on the positives, after spending this year on the forums, I understand some of the negative voices better. 

• madwren
    Options
    @madwren

Green isn't necessarily a color you need to pump out creatures. I go for bigger hitters and big buffs when I'm told to Summon 3 or less.

Sure, but please note that my statement was that green's strength is creatures, and that "summon 3 or less creatures" is directly counter to that strength.  I did not say, "you can only win in green by summoning lots of creatures". Kiora's been proving that for over a year. =)

• ElvaanStride
    Options
    madwren said:
    @madwren

Sure, but please note that my statement was that green's strength is creatures, and that "summon 3 or less creatures" is directly counter to that strength.  I did not say, "you can only win in green by summoning lots of creatures". Kiora's been proving that for over a year. =)

It's Magic, there is never one way to do anything. Big reason I have played all my life.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm partial to 5 color good stuff decks. I mostly play limited in paper.
  • Sirchombli
    Sirchombli Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    When I play competitively, I'm usually in either azorius or esper. I don't like competitive play anymore, though. When I play commander, my favorite decks have green and white in them. I like white because it's got a lot of things you can do with it and green because a turn 3 Vorinclex makes me giggle. Also really like vengevine. Like waaaaay too much. 
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Anyone have success with using Shards or Wedges?
    Yes. Three color decks can be very powerful, though the mana base can be a challenge as you either need expensive shock lands, or need a slower meta to play in.

Most my commander decks run three colors. Mardu and Jeskai are my favorites.