Daredevil 5* Sonar Strike Fails to Trigger Against Enemies Not in Front

Options
ghandra
ghandra Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
I've been using a lot of Daredevil 5* with Gamora 4*.  Use her blue to stun and red to combo additional triggers of sonar strike passive while bringing another enemy to the front to work them down.  Unfortunately sonar strike passive doesn't seem to be triggering on stunned enemies taking damage who are not in the front row.

Anyone else confirm?

Comments

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've been trying to figure out if his Sonar Strike damage works correctly all the time, and it's difficult to track.  I think it only shows the banner once per turn despite how many times it triggers, and sometimes multiple instances appear to be added together as one damage value after multiple triggers.  Between that, strikes, cascades, and recurring damage from green or other sources, it's really difficult to tell whether it did all the right things.
  • ghandra
    Options
    Yeah, it's hard enough to track on the front row target, but on the back row, I've tracked the before/after health from the Gamora countdown tile damage and that's all that it was hit for.

I think their effect stack needs to be tightened up.  Too many effects trigger out of the order they should.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Can confirm that it will not trigger on an AOE (why not? the way its worded it should). It also doesnt trigger when using 5* Spidey's green for some reason and not too sure it works with his red either.
  • Dayv
    Options
    I've noticed that if a stunned character is downed by an attack before Daredevil's secondary hit, it will carry the passive damage over to the next character in line.  Maybe what's happening here is that when a back row character is hit while stunned,  the passive damage all concentrates on the lead character?
  • ghandra
    Options
    Kinda wish they'd put in a combat log that you could review and export to report bugs like these a little more reliably.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Haha, oh man. Then I'd really never get any of my actual work done.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Sonar strike adds up correctly as long as the target is in front but the displayed numbers show in a wonky way a lot of times. When you have attack tiles and CD damage flying around it really is hard to keep track, but the total damage done is always higher than the sum of the displayed numbers.

I've found that passive damage triggers onto a stunned enemy does not trigger Sonar Strike.  For example - Strange yellow passive.  "Passives don't trigger passives"  I know, but it should in this case because it's still damage that you are doing.  Similar to Panther passive going off after Court Death stun even though Court Death is a passive.  Carol's buffing passive also triggers when a CD created by Coulson's passive resolves.
  • Dayv
    Options
    There's no "passives don't trigger passives" rule.  I think you're thinking of how friendly damage doesn't trigger ally damage reactions, which is prevented mostly because it would be abused like crazy.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    Dayv said:
    There's no "passives don't trigger passives" rule.  I think you're thinking of how friendly damage doesn't trigger ally damage reactions, which is prevented mostly because it would be abused like crazy.
    Well, kills caused by Court Death don't trigger another Court Death, although I could see that being specifically coded to prevent it from getting silly. (or sillier than it is already, or something).

Energy Manipulation absolutely triggers X-Enforcer, Anger, and Seeing Red, though, so you're right, it's not a blanket rule.
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ruinate said:
    I've found that passive damage triggers onto a stunned enemy does not trigger Sonar Strike.  For example - Strange yellow passive.  "Passives don't trigger passives"  I know, but it should in this case because it's still damage that you are doing.  Similar to Panther passive going off after Court Death stun even though Court Death is a passive.  Carol's buffing passive also triggers when a CD created by Coulson's passive resolves.
    As @Dayv said there is no "Passives don't trigger passives" rule.  The reason passives don't trigger Strange's yellow is because it specifically only triggers when a power is *activated*; i.e. not passive abilities.
    There are many cases where passives will trigger other passives. It all depends on the ability description.
    Sonar Strike should trigger off active and passive damage both because it does not specify.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ruinate said:
    As @Dayv said there is no "Passives don't trigger passives" rule.  The reason passives don't trigger Strange's yellow is because it specifically only triggers when a power is *activated*; i.e. not passive abilities.
    There are many cases where passives will trigger other passives. It all depends on the ability description.
    Sonar Strike should trigger off active and passive damage both because it does not specify.
    I said nothing about not triggering Strange yellow.

Strange yellow passive and all damaging passives are not triggering Sonar Strike on a stunned target.
  • Dayv
    Options
    Ruinate said:

Strange yellow passive and all damaging passives are not triggering Sonar Strike on a stunned target.
    I agree, that seems like a bug.  We really need some more clarity into the intended effects of this passive, though.  Are there any kinds of damage it shouldn't trigger on?

The power states "when a stunned enemy is damaged, Daredevil deals 1850 damage to that enemy", which doesn't leave a lot of room for exceptions or concerns about targeting.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    Ruinate said:
    I said nothing about not triggering Strange yellow.

I wonder if that's because Sonar Strike (currently) only works on your turn, and not your opponent's turn. I don't know if that's the case, mind, but I can see how the code might work out that way.