Why repeating new 5 stars as required

Options
finlanderboy
finlanderboy Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
Why is Peter parker and  daredevil getting featured before the majority of 5 stars even had a chance?

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Because you can still easily pull them from Latest, rather than the very diluted Classics
  • Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Options

An easier fix is have the a small group of 5 stars they want required in a 25 Command point buy.  They have done this before.

I think they're still doing this for Spidey and Daredevil vis-a-vis Latest Legends tokens?
  • finlanderboy
    edited October 2017
    Options
    If thats is their plan after 3 years i will give up the game.  I can keep up with occasional new 5 stars required, but 75% is dumb
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    Options
    chaos01 said:
    They will alternate the 3 Latest, 2 Classics, back to the 3 Latest, repeat. 

Alternating "let's be nice to noobs" with "big advantage to geezers".

So basically they are trying to limit/punish hoarding?
    Exactly. People who have been avoiding Ock and Starlord have also ended up avoiding Peter Parker and Daredevil. They are purposely setting it up so that hoarding will handicap you in at least one aspect of the game
  • finlanderboy
    Options
    I played this game seriously for 3 years.  I got 3 5 star champs now. I am super excited to be able to use them.  To keep the pace of growth i am at i need to grind a gretat deal. And i am happy with that.  But if they keep pushing new 5 stars over old it qill be luck i get them and keep up.  Once i can not get one of the new ones i will fall a step behind everytime they come up.  The it will be harder to get the next one.  I do not want to grind and work for luck to stop me.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Because they don't like hoarding and they want you to chase the required character.

I'm still holding out for Gambit to enter packs. A few events of not having one essential isn't gonna be a dealbreaker in the long run.
  • TeamStewie
    TeamStewie Posts: 357 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't hoard but I'm not going to spend 25cp on Latests when I can get a classic for 20cp. It just makes more sense to me and I spend my cp as soon as I have enough so I am far from a hoarder.
  • Monsoon3
    Monsoon3 Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    Options
    It sucks for me. I don't hoard, have no problem purchasing the Latest Legends packs, but can't pull any 5* characters to save my life. It's been over two months since I've seen my last 5*. There is just no easy way to guarantee even getting one cover.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't really mind.
    I don't have Peter Parker, so I made sure to pick a late bracket in SCL 9. There's not a whole lot of competition there, so getting top 50 isn't that difficult without even touching the fivestar node. And I get good progression and node rewards for the trouble too.
    ...This may not help if you do not have a roster capable of handling SCL 9 though.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    For my fellow non-hoarders, remember that you still get LTs.  If you spend those as you get them also, you will (on average) get the required character within 1-2 of their required cycles.  I tend to only buy classics as well (except for character-specific/concentrated stores), and with just my LT pulls I have 6 Ock, 4 Parker, and 2 DD.  That's just from champ rewards and random vaults - I've only bought one 40-pack in the last six months.

They're all useless for regular play, but I can play every 5* node except Gambit's.

Edit: I also picked up VIP a month ago and renewed once, so there's two more LTs that aren't just from free play.  Still - under this system those who choose to hoard do get punished.  But looked at another way, it's a way to reward those who don't.  After all, my 5*s are mostly useless, and I have to compete against champs for placement.  Given that we're putting in the same effort, why shouldn't I get rewarded for playing the way the Devs want when others have circumvented the system to gain advantage?
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    I don't really mind.
    I don't have Peter Parker, so I made sure to pick a late bracket in SCL 9. There's not a whole lot of competition there, so getting top 50 isn't that difficult without even touching the fivestar node. And I get good progression and node rewards for the trouble too.
    ...This may not help if you do not have a roster capable of handling SCL 9 though.
    Somebody with 3 5* champs should have the required roster for CL9...

But like Jarvind said, not having the req hero once in a while isn't the end of the world.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Options

Yes, except they haven't done that yet They basically did Starlord as a "classic" first. Then latest rotation. Then Surfer. Then latest rotation.

That's 1-3-1-3 by my reckoning. For me, actions > words. 

I mean let's be honest, the only real "classic" 5 star in 8 runs is going to be surfer. Counting a character who just dropped out of Latest as "one for the long time players" is incredibly disingenuous.

• veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Because you can still easily pull them from Latest, rather than the very diluted Classics
    No matter what, you will have more old 5*s (that are in Classics) than new ones (that are in Latest)... unless you are a person who prefer the latest.
    I also dont understand why do they rotate same 5*s again and again.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Kishida said:

An easier fix is have the a small group of 5 stars they want required in a 25 Command point buy.  They have done this before.

I think they're still doing this for Spidey and Daredevil vis-a-vis Latest Legends tokens?
    I think he's specifically referring to that "Cosmic Legends" store that had Thano5, Surfer, and Star-Lord. They ran that in addition to the normal Latest Legends store, so it gave people choice if they wanted to blow their hoard for a different set of 5s. 
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    chaos01 said:

So basically they are trying to limit/punish hoarding?
    That's my take on it... I'm still hoarding though, I just switch to scl6 when I don't have the 5* essential ;)
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I have opened over 80 Latest legendary token and have not yet gotten a daredevil, which means two different PVEs I have not been able to place so far.  RNG (Random Number Generator) is punishing.   In theory if a person opens 7 tokens they should get 1 legendary cover. That legendary cover has a 1 out of 3 chance of being the character you want.  In theory if somebody opens 21 tokens, they should have a decent spread chance, but it is not likely.   Each pull you have a 4.75% chance to get that one cover you want. After 80 pulls, I have 3 spider man green covers, and 1 doc ock. Now sure this means I was able to play certain PVE's and place, but I still don't have a daredevil, and it stinks.  Now obviously the odds have not been in my favor, but they have to expect this will happen to a lot of players and leave to a bad customer service experience.  Since Daredevil is a relatively new character,  I believe this was intentional. It is designed to help the newer player, and punish the older players who have a wider assortment of five stars.  
  • finlanderboy
    Options
    so it seems 1 old, then the 3 new.  So 25% of the time it will be an older character.  
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    so it seems 1 old, then the 3 new.  So 25% of the time it will be an older character.  
    They completely messed up the communication of this, based on the large amounts of confusion I see.  The pattern they have stated is:  3 latest, 2 classic.  Repeat. The thus-far implementation has looked like 3/1/3/1 because there was no 5* essential in AvXmen.  But they considered it a PVE in the cycle nonetheless.