Champion Red Hulk? Advice needed.

herm1978
herm1978 Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
So, I got a 6th cover for Red Hulk (mine is 5/2/5) and have the option to buy the 3rd green and champion him (like I did for Carol when I got that exact situation, I do not regret that one a bit).

I've always heard that RH is a top tier (or close) 4*, but I think he seems a bit underwhelming given that he cant really nuke anyone down since his green is an AoE.

I have 14 championed 4*s (Iceman, Carol, Hulkbuster, Nova, Jean Grey, Cyclops and Thor being my favourites), Peggy (when I get the daily rewards) and Star-Lord (fully covered at 200) can also be championed and are worth mentioning.

Given my situation I feel that maybe I'll be better off just selling the extra RH cover and save my CPs.

Any case for championing RH?

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    herm1978 said:
    I've always heard that RH is a top tier (or close) 4*, but I think he seems a bit underwhelming given that he cant really nuke anyone down since his green is an AoE.

Red Hulk nukes everyone down at once. Actually in one shot, when he's boosted.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    Champ him?   Absolutely.

Best green deny, most reliable green generator, lots of health and the anger mechanic can be useful. His AOE not killing everything is not exactly a problem, bring someone else who does single damage (4* Cyclops is a good choice).

Boosted he does crazy damage and will one shot as mentionned.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    He's not quite as dominant as he was, since the new "meta" revolves around creating crazy strong special tiles (Blade, Wasp, Carol, Medusa) and AP manipulation (...Wasp, Carol and Medusa again, and Rogue). He does drain enemy green completely, however, and on a boost week he still absolutely destroys. His fully charged green will wipe out most nodes by itself, and it's not hard to get 18 since he generates a lot himself.

He's also a decent deterrent on defense - his health pool is massive, and his passive will cause matches to drag out, particularly against 5*s that will trigger it every match. 

Numbers wise, I'm unsure what he'd look like freshly champed since I championed him almost immediately on release - this was back when you could buy covers with HP. I can tell you that at 316 and boosted, he has around 55k health and a fully charged green will deal 21k AOE, which is pretty good even against a single target.

My advice would be to keep 120 CP in reserve and keep pulling as normal - if you get a 6th red or purple and no greens before it expires, go ahead and buy the last cover and champ him. At the very least, wait until he has a boost week before you drop the hammer.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    I'll probably be in the minority here based on what I've seen people say about Red Hulk but I wouldn't spend 120 CP to champ him. 

FWIW, I have a level 274 RULK and only use him when he's boosted. I don't care for the way the character plays, the power set, or much else...except the giant health pool. And that's even better when boosted. I think of him as a deterrent to others more than someone I enjoy playing with.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind said:
    At the very least, wait until he has a boost week before you drop the hammer.
    What about the anvil :wink:

But yeah Red Hulk is amazing. Pairing him with Carol is tons of fun, and boosted hes a death machine
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Rulk + Switch  FTW
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    Set him as your only 4-star bonus hero, if you haven't already done so.  You may get lucky with a token pull and get the cover you need...or an extra Champ level if you get a duplicate.
  • herm1978
    herm1978 Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2017
    Set him as your only 4-star bonus hero, if you haven't already done so.  You may get lucky with a token pull and get the cover you need...or an extra Champ level if you get a duplicate.
    Good idea, I think I'll do that. Even if I only use him boosted it increases the chance I have good boosted 4*s to choose between. Thanks for the input all.

Edit: Well, got another red cover, guess I'll have at least two champ levels then :D
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    On a Red Hulk boost week the matches go, earn 11 green, earn 7 purple, nuke everything. Champ him.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    herm1978 said:
    Good idea, I think I'll do that. Even if I only use him boosted it increases the chance I have good boosted 4*s to choose between. Thanks for the input all.

Edit: Well, got another red cover, guess I'll have at least two champ levels then :D
    Check the Heroes for Hire Store when it flips (tomorrow I think?).  They may offer you the cover you need.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    I champed Rulk even before I got a 14th cover (just so I could respec to 5 green). It was right before an event where he was boosted, and it was the fastest set of SCL 8 clears I'd ever done.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Rulk is limited in terms of what he offers but his two powers are very good at what they do. I would definitely recommend champing him. I leant very heavily on him when I only had a few 4* champs and even now he still sees regular play, even outside of when he’s boosted. 
  • Huntah86
    Huntah86 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Last time he was boosted I learned how glorious pairing him with Vulture, they were unstoppable. Even if you only use him boosted hes well worth it.
  • Milk Jugz
    herm1978 said:
    Got another BH, and this time I got the green cover, so now I get to champ him and keep 120 cp!
    Congrats!!
  • Daredevil217
    herm1978 said:
    Got another BH, and this time I got the green cover, so now I get to champ him and keep 120 cp!
    Nice! Enjoy him. I believe he was the first top tier 4* I Champed.

I’m now in a similar boat with 5/2/5 Cyclops. Pulled an unusable Blue from the anniversary vault.  I’m going to take my own advice and see if he’s offered to me for 3600 in the HFH store when it flips.  They offered the Vulture I needed last week along with Devil Dino (but like you I ended up pulling what I needed), so fingers crossed. Cyke is easily the best Classic 4 I don’t have Champed. 

If he’s not offered I’m not spending the CP even though I’m nearing 5,000 CP.  I know he’s great but my iso demands are so high (currently 5 covers are dying on the vine of characters I have fully covered) that I can wait for him to come around again and instead attend to all the other characters in need of iso.

I forgot I brought him to 209 for the Rogue event, so that’s nice.  Only 228k to champ if he’s offered in HFH.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daredevil217 said:Only 228k to champ if he’s offered in HFH.
    ...only 228k huh...

Mind sharing some lol
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    I forgot I brought him to 209 for the Rogue event, so that’s nice.  Only 228k to champ if he’s offered in HFH.
    It's not quite the same, but I have Sandman and Mockingbird at 12 covers but Level 111. It's gonna cost me 277K to take them to 250.

That's only 50K more to cover a spread of 140 levels versus 60 for you. The price for 4*s are so backloaded, it's ridiculous.

Overall price, too. It costs roughly 75K to max and champ a 2*, 127K for a 3* and 377K for a 4*.

Math is so far from my strong suit, but the way I'm figuring, the price increase from a 2* to 3* is roughly 70 percent (75 x .7 = 52.5. Added to 75 gets us to 127.5).

Using the same method, we should expect a 4* to cost 216K. I'll be the first to admit, that price seems a little on the low side to champ a 4*.

So I'll be generous and double the rate (127 x 1.4 = 177.8. Added to 127 basically gets us to 305). That's still about 70K less than we spend now, which may not sound like much, but would add up pretty quickly. 
  • Milk Jugz
    edited October 2017
    DarthDeVo said:
    It's not quite the same, but I have Sandman and Mockingbird at 12 covers but Level 111. It's gonna cost me 277K to take them to 250.

That's only 50K more to cover a spread of 140 levels versus 60 for you. The price for 4*s are so backloaded, it's ridiculous.

Overall price, too. It costs roughly 75K to max and champ a 2*, 127K for a 3* and 377K for a 4*.

Math is so far from my strong suit, but the way I'm figuring, the price increase from a 2* to 3* is roughly 70 percent (75 x .7 = 52.5. Added to 75 gets us to 127.5).

Using the same method, we should expect a 4* to cost 216K. I'll be the first to admit, that price seems a little on the low side to champ a 4*.

So I'll be generous and double the rate (127 x 1.4 = 177.8. Added to 127 basically gets us to 305). That's still about 70K less than we spend now, which may not sound like much, but would add up pretty quickly. 
    It gets "better", champing a 5* from base level costs about 575k, so only 200k more than a 4*. Where as you pointed out it costs almost 3x as much for a 4* as a 3*. And it's not nearly as back end loaded.
  • Daredevil217

I’m now in a similar boat with 5/2/5 Cyclops. Pulled an unusable Blue from the anniversary vault.  I’m going to take my own advice and see if he’s offered to me for 3600 in the HFH store when it flips.  They offered the Vulture I needed last week along with Devil Dino (but like you I ended up pulling what I needed), so fingers crossed. Cyke is easily the best Classic 4 I don’t have Champed. 

If he’s not offered I’m not spending the CP even though I’m nearing 5,000 CP.  I know he’s great but my iso demands are so high (currently 5 covers are dying on the vine of characters I have fully covered) that I can wait for him to come around again and instead attend to all the other characters in need of iso.
    Sadly I was not offered the Yellow Cyke in HFH, but they were nice enough to dangle one in the Deadpool vs. MPQ vault to taunt me. Jerks.