Countdown tiles in wave nodes.

Have we talked about countdown tiles in wave nodes? If not, can we talk about that?
Working as intended or hardly working?

Comments

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    [Please make bug reports specific and clear.  What exactly is wrong with countdowns in wave nodes?]
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    All you're seeing is that waves don't switch until after all CDs have counted down once, including to zero. It's sucked since way back when 2* Hawkeye made the best bunch of good CDs.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is why it's best to finish each Wave with a power rather than a match whenever possible.
  • TPF Alexis
    mexus said:
    This is why it's best to finish each Wave with a power rather than a match whenever possible.
    Do you see this behavior as odd, logical or downright glitchy?
    As far as I can tell, whenever a wave ends, the computer keeps resolving anything that was currently happening, whether that's a cascade, or passives triggered off of whatever downed the last opponent, or whatever. I'm guessing that it's coded so that the "reduce/resolve countdowns" step is all treated as a single "event",  so it doesn't move to the "send in the next wave" "event" until they're all done, even tho it clearly does them one at a time. I would call it odd, but not glitchy, since it is at least consistent.

And yes, I'd prefer if the wave refreshed instantly. I've lost a lot of damage from Photonic Barrage countdowns going off between waves.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hate the way it works, but it's not a bug.  I would love to see this as a feature request to change this to not happen, but it's not a bug sadly.
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    @mexus it sounds like you may be confusing a new wave with a new turn. Your turn does not end when the last enemy in a wave is downed.
    Based on your original description, you had several countdowns on the board at the start of your turn. As they ticked down, one of them downed the last enemy in the wave. The rest continued to count down with no enemies out, then the second wave came out, and at that point you were able to make your move.
    This all occurred in one turn for you. The reason no tiles counted down when the second wave come out was because it was not a new turn.
    This is standard behavior of MPQ, not a bug, just the way things are.

• TPF Alexis
    mexus said:
    mexus said:
    Do you see this behavior as odd, logical or downright glitchy?
    As far as I can tell, whenever a wave ends, the computer keeps resolving anything that was currently happening, whether that's a cascade, or passives triggered off of whatever downed the last opponent, or whatever. I'm guessing that it's coded so that the "reduce/resolve countdowns" step is all treated as a single "event",  so it doesn't move to the "send in the next wave" "event" until they're all done, even tho it clearly does them one at a time. I would call it odd, but not glitchy, since it is at least consistent.

And yes, I'd prefer if the wave refreshed instantly. I've lost a lot of damage from Photonic Barrage countdowns going off between waves.
    But it is not consistent as you mentioned, 
    when a wave ends by you downing the enemy/enemies with a skill this odd moment of resolve doesn't happen.

"As far as I can tell, whenever a wave ends, the computer keeps resolving anything that was currently happening" is in other words not consistent with what you wrote earlier: 
    "
    This is why it's best to finish each Wave with a power rather than a match whenever possible"
    I call it consistent because it always resolves the same way from a given start point, even if it resolves differently from different start points. If it starts from a fired power, it always does one thing. If it starts from a match that ends the turn, it always does another.

Because when you down the last enemy with a power, the only "event" happening is that power. That "event" resolves, and then the new wave comes in, but because you haven't made a move, it's still your same turn.

It's when the "end of turn" and "end of wave" happen at the same time that stuff seems to get weird, because the system is apparently processing all of that as one "event".

There are other odd things like this, too, like how some passives will interrupt a cascade (Pheromone Rage), while others don't (Court Death), but if one that does interrupt the cascade triggers, any other waiting passives will go off before the cascade resumes, even if they wouldn't interrupt it themselves.

I'm pretty sure it would make sense if we could see all the details of how these are coded, but since we're just trying to figure it out from the end results, and it's often hard or impossible to re-create some of the situations in a reasonable time frame, it gets confusing.
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    mexus said:
    I am actually positive a countdown that goes from 2 to 1 at the start of your turn will go to 0 when the last enemy of the wave is downed if you down the enemy by matching tiles.

It happens also if you have one countdown tile, doesn't have to be several ones.
    I have never seen anything like that happen. I use Hawkeye and Mags in the 2* DDQ everyday, and I usually have countdowns out when the waves flip.  Never seen a countdown change twice in a turn, or at the end of a turn.
    If that is happening, then you have a strange bug indeed.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    mexus said:
    I have always seen it happen:

If a countdown gets to 1 when you start your turn and you make a match which downs the last enemy your countdown/s at 1 will resolve before the next wave of enemies emerges leaving you with a board without countdowns at the start of the next turn.
    It seems like some people what commented here have seen the same behavior.
    I use Hawkeye often in the 2* wave DDQ, and I have never seen this specific behavior.

In this instance I also know that the wave switches after the match damage (and all cascades) has been resolved, but before any "end of turn" effects happen, such as attack tiles. Then the (new) enemy team gets their turn, and then you get your turn, whereupon all of your CDs tick down properly.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    mexus said:
    I have never seen anything like that happen. I use Hawkeye and Mags in the 2* DDQ everyday, and I usually have countdowns out when the waves flip.  Never seen a countdown change twice in a turn, or at the end of a turn.
    If that is happening, then you have a strange bug indeed.
    I have always seen it happen:

If a countdown gets to 1 when you start your turn and you make a match which downs the last enemy your countdown/s at 1 will resolve before the next wave of enemies emerges leaving you with a board without countdowns at the start of the next turn.
    It seems like some people what commented here have seen the same behavior.
    Are you using any characters whose passive abilities can cause countdowns to decrease after a match?  Agent Coulson is the best example of this, as he decrements countdowns by spending TU AP on any match, if you have 6 or more TU AP.  4* Sam Wilson (Captain America) also decreases countdowns, but only on blue matches, and there's a pretty obvious animation.

If you're running Agent Coulson a lot, that could definitely explain this.  That passive ability confused a number of people when he was released.