2 Headed Giant
FFA
3 Headed Giant
Dare I mention Commander?

Comments

• Drewster
    Drewster Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Options
    And I just posted this long essay on how it could work without our phones exploding and it got lost. First with idea vocalized = 10 free masterpieces in account... Riiiiiight Brigby? ;) 4th forum post, 1st Discussion, but I've been lurking/reading/playing since about the beginning... Thanks for even half thinking about this AWESOME idea. If I had an extra billion dollars I would have it done by next week and play 16 hours minimum a day... MTGPQ live multiplayer experience: you heard it here folks! *ducks and covers* Oooooout.
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Options
    There is such a tremendous advantage going first that direct, head to head play might not really be that fun. Something akin to a tetris style play might be doable, where in realtime you play against another user who has their own board and things you do to hurt the AI can affect the other player. Additionally speed might be a component where winning faster gets you toward the overall win. 
  • Drewster
    Options
    lol real time. Wow. That's on you. Great idea though. My phone definitely would explode ;). Yes, this is kind of a fantasy but I'm assuming the game would be hugely balanced by this point and only turn 3 to start getting nasty decks would be the best of the best (any faster bugs would be remedied).
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd rather all the other stuff be a priority. Also I like being able to put the game down in the middle of a match -- get a sandwich and come back. 
  • Drewster
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    I'd rather all the other stuff be a priority. Also I like being able to put the game down in the middle of a match -- get a sandwich and come back. 
    Yes. Definitely not doing away with the game style that is either... Just an extra play mode. And I posted this here instead of questions to development because I want the other stuff to be a priority too.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Drewster said:
    bken1234 said:
    Yes. Definitely not doing away with the game style that is either... Just an extra play mode. And I posted this here instead of questions to development because I want the other stuff to be a priority too.
    It's a good conversation to have here -- I'm interested to see how others feel about it. 
  • Drewster
    Options
    The games would be Long of course. 2 hours or so I bet average... That's how it is in MTGO for 4 players and up. I used to play MTGO all the time in 2003/2004 I had to quit University. I regret that. Ok... (Nother subject for another time and place).
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This is at heart a match 3 game with cards for content variety. True PvP would be basically an entire new game.
  • Gormhaus
    Gormhaus Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I would love to play mtgpq against a real human. If going first is an issue have it alternate for you. Do it in tg and just award a few hundred runes for a win. 
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like the fake pvp it currently has. There is an illusioin of other people but you don't have to wait on them, you can stop matches partway through like Bianca said, that is _very_ important in fitting it into my day.

I play some other games with PVP and the only ones that work are really really stripped down and simple and fast but even then I _frequently_ have games I lose because I get a phonecall in the middle or if I'm winning I _never_ get to play to the end because the other player rage-quits.

People not playing things to the end is a huge huge problem that really makes things unenjoyable for me. _I_ play to the end when I'm losing, I try to learn better how to recover from disasters and things, but other people being so childish is really detrimental to things and I usually end up quitting playing the entire game because I can't handle the long term abuse from people throwing tantrums. (And, no, a slowly considered approach to protecting my mental health isn't the same as a tantrum!)
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Drewster said:
    And I just posted this long essay on how it could work without our phones exploding and it got lost. First with idea vocalized = 10 free masterpieces in account... Riiiiiight Brigby? ;) 4th forum post, 1st Discussion, but I've been lurking/reading/playing since about the beginning... Thanks for even half thinking about this AWESOME idea. If I had an extra billion dollars I would have it done by next week and play 16 hours minimum a day... MTGPQ live multiplayer experience: you heard it here folks! *ducks and covers* Oooooout.

When I last asked JC about real pvp, he said that it was currently not being planned, but you never know.

I interpreted that as the devs having no intention for real pvp. But someone once pointed out to me that this sort of statement means it would eventually come.

So obviously they've been working on it. Or not. Who knows what words mean anymore. 

• DaddyO
    DaddyO Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Options
    These issues are solvable using a count down play completion timer. If you (the active player) haven't completed your play within 45 seconds the ai steps in and makes the play for you. That could limit the cycling chaos/boredom as well. 

The first time I played PvP I thought I was playing in real time and I was relieved when I found out it was against ai. I'd never played a match 3 game before and it takes a while to get the mechanics down to allow quick play. 

• span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I kind of feel like there are too many abusive decks around for real PvP to be enjoyable, especially in Legacy, but it's a fun thought. 
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Options
    No. 

The game's architecture doesn't currently allow for it. They'd have to fully reimplement both the client and server to implement real PvP. Then they'd need more infrastructure for the increased load. They can't currently handle increased load from people claiming rewards. What makes anybody think increased load for server-authority based Match3 will happen?

It's not happening. I know some representative somewhere promised you it is, but I've seen things. It's not happening. 
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    octal9 said:

It's not happening. I know some representative somewhere promised you it is, but I've seen things. It's not happening. 
    You've seen things us people wouldn't believe?
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    shteev said:
    You've seen things us people wouldn't believe?

He's seen how easy it could be to trick the client into believing you have cards in a match you don't actually own.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    asking for real pvp when cycling decks will still be around for at least the next 6 months? i am getting my popcorn for the fireworks. 
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    i am more corcerned with live pvp, is that it has to link to another persons phone. do you trust any game develop[er security to keep your phone hack free and safe while playing other people? i dont, i dont even trust android and apple to pull that one off
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    asking for real pvp when cycling decks will still be around for at least the next 6 months? i am getting my popcorn for the fireworks. 
    Oh, man... we should have asked Oktagon just how big a mistake they thought cycling was. And @Brigby has locked that thread now :(