Danger Room.

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
So Danger Room is the new versus tournament.

I have questions!

It's supposed to be X-Men themed but I don't make the connection more than the background for the event that has X-Men in it. :) Wouldn't it make sense if the X-Men were buffed for this event?

Hazard, hm, fun, but they only work against you (to the opponents' advantage).

What I'm mostly questions is the event description that says "join forces with buffed characters of your choice" - anyone figured out what this means? I was expecting to pick a few ones to buff but haven't found that option yet.

It's still fun to not have an essential character. Buffed Medusa, Rocket / Groot and Gamora for easy climbing!

Does it have double ISO? I've only gotten 140 ISO rewards so far which could be doubled 70 rewards or just a plain 140 reward. Anyone gotten 280 or 500?

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm not sure why you say hazards only work against you.  They can trigger either turn (iirc) and they don't do damage unless they trigger a match in the cascade.  They are their just to add extra difficulty to planning moves ahead I think.  I don't mind them, but I wouldn't want to see them in a ton of events.

I'm pretty sure the buffed characters of your choice just means they are from the fan favorites poll since most of them are high ranked characters.  It's a pre-determined list based on poll results.  Definitely could have been worded better.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Actually after playing some more it does seems like they are all on the opponents turn and do count as countdown tiles expiring for Executive Decision for the enemy.  

Thematically it makes sense because in the danger room in the comics it was a simulation with both opponents and hazards to avoid. 
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Executive Decision is part of the problem here. Each hazard counts as an AI countdown, making this event even stronger on defense for an already super powerful hero who's also boosted. Coulson, Flaptain, Goblin, Hawkeye, Kingpin all suddenly become more powerful defensively for the free countdowns for them to interact with. Before this runs again, I hope there will be some kind of change to Hazard Tiles.
    1. First things first, they should be coded as Hazard Tiles rather than Countdown Tiles. Several powers were changed to Repeater Tiles. Given that Hazards already have a graphical difference from standard Countdowns, they're already halfway to being their own tile.
    2. Spawn for either side. This is much less important, but right now, the Hazards were designed with a friendly fire protocol. Thematically, it does make sense for the Danger Room to have environmental dangers, but not for the AI to be immune to them. After all, the X-Men were able to use Hazards by luring or shoving enemies into them, right?

So, what are the chances we'll get a hero themed around controlling/manipulating the board with a passive that causes Hazard Tiles to spawn on his/her turn? Maybe even having diagonal, cross, or X Hazards.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    zodiac339 said:

2. Spawn for either side. This is much less important, but right now, the Hazards were designed with a friendly fire protocol. Thematically, it does make sense for the Danger Room to have environmental dangers, but not for the AI to be immune to them.
    Strictly speaking, the hazards can work against the AI by destroying their tiles. And I think giving the player free CD tiles would be really abusable. Making them not count as CD tiles would help, of course.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    zodiac339 said:

2. Spawn for either side. This is much less important, but right now, the Hazards were designed with a friendly fire protocol. Thematically, it does make sense for the Danger Room to have environmental dangers, but not for the AI to be immune to them.
    Strictly speaking, the hazards can work against the AI by destroying their tiles. And I think giving the player free CD tiles would be really abusable. Making them not count as CD tiles would help, of course.
    Exactly why that was my first point. Making them a non-CD special tile would make a big leap toward balancing them.
  • ProfessorGumby
    ProfessorGumby Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Options
    zodiac339 said:

But practically speaking, they work against the player, since they can destroy Medusa's entanglement tile, and only the AI's C4rol can target them with Executive Decision.
  • clay_peterson
    clay_peterson Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Options
    The hazard tiles make fighting 5* Hawkeye nigh impossible.  He fortifies them each round, which means they don't go away when they go off.  Also, he gets his AP everytime they expire.  So he's shooting off arrows constantly.  It's insta-lose, basically.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The geyser tiles trigger coulson and carol's passive when they go off. Don't let them go off. But when they are on your strongest colour you will get wrecked for matching. Not sure why this isn't a bigger deal for some people.

I guess the Devs don't think c4rol is good enough and needs help.. 

Forum exclusive: the AI does cheat :)
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Full disclosure: I was one of those Bl4de/C4rol/Medusa teams taking advantage of the situation.

Having said that, they really need to fix the hazard tiles before they run this event again. I appreciate the attempt to give a little different flavor to this particular event, and for the most part don't mind the tiles themselves. But the fact that enemy teams get the benefit of the CD for C4rol/Coulson/Hawk5/(assuming) Drax, not to mention any AP if the tile causes a cascade, made this event somewhat of a miserable, health pack sucking slog. 
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Maybe they can limit the amount of hazards on the board at once.  Having to deal with multiple Swarm type attacks and the cascades they produce is not only a hassle but possibly game ending.  I ate a Carol combo because one vertical hazard created a column of 6 black tiles. 

Maybe only have them posted on the corners, like Apocalypse's horsemen.