No Double Iso-8 in Lightning Rounds *Updated (10/17/17)

Options

Comments

• AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Options
    This is a pleasant surprise.

Any chance we could also make them 20 person LRs too...

edit: looking back over my previous comment I am compelled to say that this is a very good outcome compared to what I was expecting. Bravo dev team!
  • zahria
    zahria Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Thank you for making next week double iso-8 rewards next week with the price to skip events halved in Lightning Rounds!! This is a great update instead of the ISO gift you were going to give.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    mrcheddar said:
    Still don't see the value in lightning rounds as far as time vs. rewards are concerned. When I do play, I play to 300+ points, and that's been enough for a 2 Heroics every time (t50). That's great when I just want to spam heroics until I get a 4-star, but IMO not worth the health packs and HP spent to get there.

The seed teams go fast obviously, but then I need 2-3 additional matches to get over 300. That still leaves me with over an hour left, so I have to either drop 200 HP for a 1 hour shield, or 100HP for a 30  Yeah, no. To those that say it's worth the iso, don't get it. To those that say it's worth it for as "little time" as you spend? Don't get it. 

I was willing to put my skepticism aside for anniversary and go for the double iso, since that DID make me feel it'd be worth it this time around, but alas. Will probably do just one for the sake of getting this compensation reward. 
    You are missing the point. The ISO is from the seeds teams. It takes about 5 minutes to whip through about 10 seed matches for about 1.5K ISO. Double that.

That is my point though....1.5K iso is not worth it to me, nor has it ever actually panned out to be "5 minutes". Even still, I want to keep those points so that I can get t50 for the heroics. If I just decide to not care and not shield out, I get pummeled, and then no t100 even. I can get 1.5K iso doing 2 DDQ nodes, or a few daily champ levels. What 1.5K iso in the grand scheme of things when I need on average 300K+? Sure it adds up, but SLOWLY. 

If we were talking 2-4K iso a pop, or if 2-stars dropped more frequently, or hell, even if this whole "5 minutes" notion was actually true for me, I'd consider it. But as it stands I'm not interested in picking up my phone every other hour to do this for what I consider to be a paltry sum of iso. 
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Options
    A welcomed update. Thank you for doing right by your players. @Brigby please pass along everyone's heartfelt thanks to the dev team for doing a solid and fixing this the right way.

Also, will there be an in-game notice for folks who don't use the forum?
  • madsalad
    Options
    mrcheddar said:
    Still don't see the value in lightning rounds as far as time vs. rewards are concerned. When I do play, I play to 300+ points, and that's been enough for a 2 Heroics every time (t50). That's great when I just want to spam heroics until I get a 4-star, but IMO not worth the health packs and HP spent to get there.

The seed teams go fast obviously, but then I need 2-3 additional matches to get over 300. That still leaves me with over an hour left, so I have to either drop 200 HP for a 1 hour shield, or 100HP for a 30  Yeah, no. To those that say it's worth the iso, don't get it. To those that say it's worth it for as "little time" as you spend? Don't get it. 

I was willing to put my skepticism aside for anniversary and go for the double iso, since that DID make me feel it'd be worth it this time around, but alas. Will probably do just one for the sake of getting this compensation reward. 
    You are missing the point. The ISO is from the seeds teams. It takes about 5 minutes to whip through about 10 seed matches for about 1.5K ISO. Double that.

That is my point though....1.5K iso is not worth it to me, nor has it ever actually panned out to be "5 minutes". Even still, I want to keep those points so that I can get t50 for the heroics. If I just decide to not care and not shield out, I get pummeled, and then no t100 even. I can get 1.5K iso doing 2 DDQ nodes, or a few daily champ levels. What 1.5K iso in the grand scheme of things when I need on average 300K+? Sure it adds up, but SLOWLY. 

If we were talking 2-4K iso a pop, or if 2-stars dropped more frequently, or hell, even if this whole "5 minutes" notion was actually true for me, I'd consider it. But as it stands I'm not interested in picking up my phone every other hour to do this for what I consider to be a paltry sum of iso. 
    Do you have 3* Thanos anywhere near champed? Do you have at least 1 4* that does 300+ match damage?  If so, 5 minutes for 10 or so seed teams, as soon as the LR opens, and then one additional non-seed battle will typically get you to 250 points to get the 250 pt token reward.
  • BoyWonder1914
    edited October 2017
    Options
    madsalad said:
    mrcheddar said:

Do you have 3* Thanos anywhere near champed? Do you have at least 1 4* that does 300+ match damage?  If so, 5 minutes for 10 or so seed teams, as soon as the LR opens, and then one additional non-seed battle will typically get you to 250 points to get the 250 pt token reward.
    Perhaps this is where the disconnect is occurring. The game is fun when I WANT to play it, but I don't usually want to play it anymore than I have to, which is whatever the current PVE/PVP event is for my alliance. So things like LRs are considered "extra" time for me unless I have nothing better to do. So when I play them period, I want compensation that I feel is adequate for the extra time I'm putting in. 250 points and a standard token does not do that for me. 2 Heroics on the other hand does, because that's potentially a four-star cover/champ level, or even a 3-star champ level that awards me just as much, though usually more ISO than the individual lightning round itself. So to get there, I need 300+ points. I've found that most of the time 250-290 ish is t100. That means going beyond the parameters that everyone defines as minimal effort. 

Sure, my 3-Thanos packs a wallop, but that also means health packs if I bring a 4-star that I will probably need later in the event, as he hits my team for 1.2K a pop. You suggested a 4-star that does 300+ match damage, well that would be my Blade, Carol, Medusa, etc, who I will most definitely need for the non-seed teams. So I usually bring a different 5-star so as not keep healing folks. The seed teams plus the 2 or 3 additional matches I need to get over 300 usually leave me with more than an hour left, so now I have to decide if I want to shield out, or keep pushing. But sitting there and letting myself get hit is definitely not an option. I understand I can save time and resources by just not caring after the seed teams, but then I don't get the rewards that I actually want. Not criticizing the folks that love to grind away through seeds every other hour, I'm just saying that I don't find the iso sum worth it, so I have to go for more. And then because I go for more, I feel more drained and don't want to keep doing it. 
  • madsalad
    Options
    madsalad said:
    mrcheddar said:

Perhaps this is where the disconnect is occurring. The game is fun when I WANT to play it, but I don't usually want to play it anymore than I have to, which is whatever the current PVE/PVP event is for my alliance. So things like LRs are considered "extra" time for me unless I have nothing better to do. So when I play them period, I want compensation that I feel is adequate for the extra time I'm putting in. 250 points and a standard token does not do that for me. 2 Heroics on the other hand does, because that's potentially a four-star cover/champ level, or even a 3-star champ level that awards me just as much, though usually more ISO than the individual lightning round itself. So to get there, I need 300+ points. I've found that most of the time 250-290 ish is t100. That means going beyond the parameters that everyone defines as minimal effort. 

Sure, my 3-Thanos packs a wallop, but that also means health packs if I bring a 4-star that I will probably need later in the event, as he hits my team for 1.2K a pop. You suggested a 4-star that does 300+ match damage, well that would be my Blade, Carol, Medusa, etc, who I will most definitely need for the non-seed teams. So I usually bring a different 5-star so as not keep healing folks. The seed teams plus the 2 or 3 additional matches I need to get over 300 usually leave me with more than an hour left, so now I have to decide if I want to shield out, or keep pushing. But sitting there and letting myself get hit is definitely not an option. I understand I can save time and resources by just not caring after the seed teams, but then I don't get the rewards that I actually want. Not criticizing the folks that love to grind away through seeds every other hour, I'm just saying that I don't find the iso sum worth it, so I have to go for more. 
    To each their own. I was just trying to explain the situation. If it is not what floats your boat than you do you.

I'm not in any way, shape or form in need of more covers. I mean, sure, I like more covers for things, but what I really need is ISO. 1.5k for 5 minutes of time. 5-7 a day for 3 days. For me that is a good trade off. That buys me skips and boosts in PVP, iso towards levels, etc... The extra covers that sometimes drop, or the random 2* I might get from a standard is just a nice bonus.

My problem is sometimes justifying the fight toward shielding to get top placement in an LR. I usually find that I cannot beat teams fast enough to mitigate the hits I am taking to try to place high enough.
  • BoyWonder1914
    Options
    I think that would be probably be a bigger draw for me, if they give more in the progression track. In a regular PVP event, if you push to 725, you are at least earning some of that HP back that you spend on shielding. LRs don't give any HP, even for good placement, so it's a constant drain if you're looking to place well in several LRs a day.

In either case it looks like the double ISO actually is happening, so I'll be looking forward to that. That's easily up to 20K iso/day if you hit them all. Probably still won't get them all, but a good chunk of them will help me champ some folks before anniversary is over. 
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    First, kudos to the devs for acquiescing to the forum community's request. Good stuff!

Second, I am of a similar mindset to BoyWonder1914. For me personally, LRs seem more like a chore because the effort-to-reward ratio isn't what I find ideal. Additionally, LR events are too similar to PvP in their structure and I would very much prefer they had something more puzzley that rewarded Iso. I know for those that have mastered the art of climbing LRs that sounds rather blasphemous and I can understand that but considering we have the season Simulator and PvP, I always felt there are better ways to reward more ISO; variety being the spice of life as they say.

With that said, thanks to the devs and D3Go! team for what is turning out to be a wonderful anniversary event and, as always, for your hard work. ゙☆⌒o(*^ー゚)v
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,286 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would love to know how 10 matches take 5 minutes.  I don't care who you bring but clicking on all the stupid start buttons and even getting that one match that finishes off for all 10 takes more than 30 seconds a match.  Either that, or I am just lazy and take longer.
  • Lucifier
    Lucifier Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Thanks mod/dev for running double-iso LR next week.
  • Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I would love to know how 10 matches take 5 minutes.  I don't care who you bring but clicking on all the stupid start buttons and even getting that one match that finishes off for all 10 takes more than 30 seconds a match.  Either that, or I am just lazy and take longer.
    Thanos
    i match 3 to kill one of the weak AI teammates.
    Match over.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    LakeStone said:

Update 10//11 8:30AM - Speaking with the team today, we will be running double iso-8 rewards next week with the price to skip events halved in Lightning Rounds. This will be in lieu of a free gift next week.

Yuck.  I'd have rather had the free gift...
  • madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Thank you for the double ISO run next week!

This is a PR win for the devs IMO. Anniversary spirit is back baby!
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2017
    Options

You can definitely do a 10-seed-team LR in five minutes. I've timed it before and that's what it's taken me except on rare occasion. Sometimes, it only takes four minutes, depending on how many (or usually, how few) cascades you get and what level the seed teams are. And it never costs me any health packs since I just use Thanos, the loaner, and a trash character. By the time I get to the last seed seed team, my trash character is dead or almost dead, but I switch to one of the other LR characters at that point (if I get attacked, I don't care, since I'm just doing the seed teams). If I used Thanos, Gamora, and Rocket and Groot, it would probably go even faster, but might cost me health packs.

I've thought about playing a few rounds at the end to try and get the heroic token, but didn't think it would be worth the time. 

• beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Options
    OML (or patch or Daken or any true healer) / loaner / Champed 3* Thanos with 5 in Court Death (or 5* Thanos with one level of court death); start LR at the very beginning; you should get 9 seed teams; beat 8 of them with one match 3 targeting the lowest health goon or 1*, then court death kills the rest. Use the 9th seed to set your trapcake: your strong featured 3* LR character (usually champed) / any 1*s (I use 1*Storm and 1*Spidey, both at level 1).  If done right, you should be just short of the 250 pt progression.

Set it and forget it. I get a ton of defensive wins this way, which will earn the 250 pt progression reward eventually; then about 15 minutes left in the round go clean up the red retal nodes left by relatively easy teams that may have beaten your trapcake. Sometimes I end up in T50 or if I leave it alone top100; however, I'm not chasing placement. I'm happy with the ISO I'm gettting from 5 minutes of initial seed clearing play - everything else is a bonus. I'm not using health packs, teamups, boosts or ISO. 
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    1st: Okay, I have less time to do it next week than this week, but for the community it's a good fix and I'm happy to see it.

2nd: 2 ways to get through 10 lightning rounds in 5 minutes against the seed teams without bringing Thanos to the fight.

1) Bring 4*Rocket & Groot and Medusa. Matches almost never last longer than 3 moves. (2 to knock off the main opponent, one more to knock of the next two in one combined move)

2) Bring Carol to the fight and use your 3rd spot to match your strongest color to the main opponent's strongest color. Wait a few turns for them to make a match in that color and kill off the whole team at once. This method can sometimes take up to 6 moves.

3rd: Yeah, I don't on average have the time and energy to do LRs. However, when I've been in major ISO deficit, 10/day for 3 days has been a lifesaver. 60k over 2 weeks when I was trying to hurry up and champ 2 characters and needed a total of about 500k to do it... nothing to sneeze at.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I don't see why most are thanking the devs for doing something they promised in the first place. 

And really, "didn't have time to"... what, flip a switch to allow LRs to have double iso, but they did have the time to make the skip tax/round award 60 iso for them...uh-huh, sure guys whatever you say.

This is just plain incompetence. They have had a whole year to plan this out (4 years if you count this one mechanic). Maybe if they weren't taking off Columbus day and taco Tuesday, they could properly program this game that so many of us are paying either large sums or a monthly service fee.

And halving the skip fee... well la de da. How about ruinning double iso LRs the week after instead.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    smkspy said:
    I don't see why most are thanking the devs for doing something they promised in the first place. 

And really, "didn't have time to"... what, flip a switch to allow LRs to have double iso, but they did have the time to make the skip tax/round award 60 iso for them...uh-huh, sure guys whatever you say.

This is just plain incompetence. They have a whole year to plain this out. Maybe if they weren't taking off Columbus day and taco Tuesday, they could properly program this game that so many of us are paying either large sums or a monthly service fee.

And halving the skip fee... well la de da. How about ruinning double iso LTs the week after instead.

They should give us one free 5* max champed of our choice. Anything less is an insult and they should be ashamed for accepting a paycheck at the end of the week. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Borstock said:
    smkspy said:

This is just plain incompetence. They have a whole year to plain this out. Maybe if they weren't taking off Columbus day and taco Tuesday, they could properly program this game that so many of us are paying either large sums or a monthly service fee.

And halving the skip fee... well la de da. How about ruinning double iso LTs the week after instead.

They should give us one free 5* max champed of our choice. Anything less is an insult and they should be ashamed for accepting a paycheck at the end of the week. 

Seriously, that has to be the craziest thing I’ve ever read on the forums.  Even if it was meant to be a joke.