LT/Classic draw rate "nerfs"

2»

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    DarthDeVo said:
    JHawkInc said:

He's just pointing out how absurd the claim is. A store doesn't extend a weekend sale because you couldn't get there until Monday. Happy Hour doesn't extend an hour because you show up late. At no point does it make sense to extend an error to give people a chance to abuse it.
     That's not close to a good analogy. If an establishment has a Happy Hour or a sale, they clearly advertise the hours those sales are in effect, and everyone who cares to pay attention can be aware of the details. If you don't know, that's your fault. 

Happy Hour: Every weeknight from 4 to 6 p.m.

Sale lasts from 8 a.m. Friday to 8 p.m. Sunday! 
    Both online and brick & mortor stores make mistakes on pricing all the time (you'd be shocked how often).  They honor the prices posted when purchased, they don't offer that to people that come after the fix.  This is business as usual.  It sucks if you missed out but it's not going to change.  What needs to happen is D3 address their sloppiness and lack of QA.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    JHawkInc said:

He's just pointing out how absurd the claim is. A store doesn't extend a weekend sale because you couldn't get there until Monday. Happy Hour doesn't extend an hour because you show up late. At no point does it make sense to extend an error to give people a chance to abuse it.
     That's not close to a good analogy. If an establishment has a Happy Hour or a sale, they clearly advertise the hours those sales are in effect, and everyone who cares to pay attention can be aware of the details. If you don't know, that's your fault. 

Happy Hour: Every weeknight from 4 to 6 p.m.

Sale lasts from 8 a.m. Friday to 8 p.m. Sunday! 
    Both online and brick & mortor stores make mistakes on pricing all the time (you'd be shocked how often).  They honor the prices posted when purchased, they don't offer that to people that come after the fix.  This is business as usual.  It sucks if you missed out but it's not going to change.  What needs to happen is D3 address their sloppiness and lack of QA.
    Oh, no argument on the sloppiness and lack of QA. And while I understand that businesses mess up from time to time and honor the mistake, I guess I see it differently when it's an online game where such a mistake allows lucky players to gain a competitive edge over others who simply weren't lucky enough to be awake or available to access the game during the brief window the bug was live. 

If you get a great deal on Amazon and get a brand new TV for 50 bucks, and Amazon realizes its mistake and restores the price to $500 before I can get the same deal, well that sucks for me, but thems the breaks. 

But if you have the good fortune to have happened to access the store during the bug, it's a very real possibility you could have gained a big competitive advantage by rostering or finishing off 5* characters that others have been working on for months or even years, or getting a big head start on Gambit. That could give you an edge in both PvE or PvP compared to others who weren't so lucky. 

Ultimately, it's still a "thems the breaks" type situation, but it does sting a little knowing others are making a great deal of progress over others who don't even get the opportunity. 
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    It's possible this might happen again if they run Apocalypse for Nightcrawler's release.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    At this point, it might behoove ALL players to check new 5* store odds from now on. If you see 1:4, pull to your heart’s content. If you miss it or don’t have enough CP saved to take advantage, oh well, chances are there will be another one down the road. 
  • broll
    @DarthDeVo

Not sure what differentiation you're trying to make...  In both cases someone got an advantage due to human error and the people making the mistake didn't give out anything to people who missed the error windows....  I think in the long run saving $450 on a nice TV is worth a lot more than an advantage in a video game.

Is the difference you're trying to make that the game is competitive?  There are lot of people that consider earning wealth and/or buying nice things to be very competitive  :D
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    @DarthDeVo

Not sure what differentiation you're trying to make...  In both cases someone got an advantage due to human error and the people making the mistake didn't give out anything to people who missed the error windows....  I think in the long run saving $450 on a nice TV is worth a lot more than an advantage in a video game.

Is the difference you're trying to make that the game is competitive?  There are lot of people that consider earning wealth and/or buying nice things to be very competitive  :D
     Hey, I can't disagree with either of those points. In the grand scheme of things it isn't a travesty or anything like that. Just annoying to know that others are getting the chance to make a great deal of progress in their roster while others don't. 

It's possible this might happen again if they run Apocalypse for Nightcrawler's release.
    Certainly something to keep any eye out for, but I think it might have less to do with a boss event and more to do with the running of new character or special stores. 

beyonderbub said:
    At this point, it might behoove ALL players to check new 5* store odds from now on. If you see 1:4, pull to your heart’s content. If you miss it or don’t have enough CP saved to take advantage, oh well, chances are there will be another one down the road. 
    Yep, this is definitely something I'll try to keep in mind from here on out. 
  • broll
    I don't disagree it sucks if you missed out.  Honestly if you think about it the CS swap policy is the same thing on a much grander scale.  Imagine how many players have missed out on that just because they didn't know about it (because you wouldn't unless you came here or someone told you).  The older I get the more I realize how true some of these idioms are 'life isn't fair' 'tinykitty happens' and particularly relevant in this scenario 'the early bird gets the worm'.
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    I used to pull LTs whenever I had enough CP or a token.  It worked out fine, but a few recent events have caused me to start hoarding.  The two glitches with the boosted 5* draw rate, and the Cosmic LT with CS swaps made it clear that hoarding is the right way for me to go.  I'll hoard LTs until Ock is gone since I only have a few covers for him, and I'll save CP until the next token offers swaps on a nearly covered classic 5* of mine or boosted draw rate comes along.  My roster won't progress as quickly (sorry Lockjaw and Yondu I guess), but I am saving some Iso in the meantime.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    It blows my mind how indignant people get over things like this. IT WAS A MISTAKE, and NO ONE was "meant" to capitalize on it. If someone did, because they just so happened to be around at that time, that isn't the fault of the person who got to benefit from it, nor does it imply anything about their standing in society. It wasn't advertised in any way whatsoever, so kudos to the people that notice D3's mistakes. Don't be mad at the person noticing the mistake, be mad at the person who made it. 

But let's look even further into this:

The error occurred in a store that was advertised way before it even dropped, and the store dropped at a time where A LOT of people were going to be playing the game. It's the start of a boss event, so I'm willing to go off on a limb here and say that quite a large percentage of the player base was on the game at this time, and were looking through the newly dropped stores: Fan Favorites, Mes Amis, Anniversary, Remy Lebeau, X-Men vs. Apocalypse. Not to mention it's Anniversary, so people were REALLY plugged in. Sorry to put it so bluntly, but you not being on the game at the time is quite literally the epitome of a personal problem in this situation. Turned out that they fixed error literally right before I pulled, so dropped almost 400 CP before I got even 1 5-star cover, thank RnGesus that it turned out to be Gambit. Was I mad that I didn't rake in some insane rate of 5-stars? Absolutely not, because I understand it was never supposed to happen in the first place. It ridiculous to sit here and be upset about something that ultimately doesn't affect me and my gameplay whatsoever. You're talking like of these people just suddenly got 3 new 5-star champs. 
  • fnedude
    fnedude Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker

"Boywonder said:

... It ridiculous to sit here and be upset about something that ultimately doesn't affect me and my gameplay whatsoever. You're talking like of these people just suddenly got 3 new 5-star champs.  ..."

My original point is, that since this keeps happening (how many times does it take to make a pattern?), that there will eventually be an "in crowd" (those that can capitalize on D3's error), and an "out crowd" (those that can't).

How is that fair in a competitive game like MPQ?