Please explain the Colson and Carol synergy?

Options
TheAlphateam
TheAlphateam Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
people say they are good together. Why?

Comments

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Carol lays down her Black CD. Coulson adds another CD. Next turn Coulson CD goes off and Carol puts down strike tile. Strike is buffed and Coulson generates AP. Ad infinitum.

EDIT: Oh and if you have Cloak and Dagger as well, that team turns degenerate really fast.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Anon said:
    Carol lays down her Black CD. Coulson adds another CD. Next turn Coulson CD goes off and Carol puts down strike tile. Strike is buffed and Coulson generates AP. Ad infinitum.

EDIT: Oh and if you have Cloak and Dagger as well, that team turns degenerate really fast.
     Well, if any teammate fires a power, Coulson adds a CD, and C4rol will buff tiles when those CDs resolve. Coulson also had a passive that deals damage when CDs resolve, and that will be boosted by C4rol's buffed strikes. And Coulson's active yellow places a number of CD tiles for C4rol's buffing pleasure. 

Their only weakness is that Coulson speeds up CD tiles, and if he does that to a Photonic Barrage CD, you'll miss out on adding strike tiles and possibly fire the nuke prematurely. 
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

If I may, Coulson, Carol, 3/5/5 Wasp.  Once you hit 6 blue and 5 yellow, the fun really starts.  Often I prefer using Wasp's black to Carol's, because of the stun.  It's fun seeing just how high you can boost the strike and protect tiles.

No attack tiles, alas, but...

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:
    Anon said:

Well, if any teammate fires a power, Coulson adds a CD, and C4rol will buff tiles when those CDs resolve. Coulson also had a passive that deals damage when CDs resolve, and that will be boosted by C4rol's buffed strikes. And Coulson's active yellow places a number of CD tiles for C4rol's buffing pleasure. 

Their only weakness is that Coulson speeds up CD tiles, and if he does that to a Photonic Barrage CD, you'll miss out on adding strike tiles and possibly fire the nuke prematurely. 
    Slight correction: Coulson's yellow passive generates AP when friendly countdowns expire, it doesn't deal damage. I think Drax has the power that deals damage every time one expires.

Speeding up countdowns can get problematic in other ways, too. I've had him make his Shield Sniper countdown go off too soon before, wiping out other countdowns next to it that would otherwise have gone off before it. Really, tho, that's a minor thing.

It's also kind of an odd team to get used to, because for a while, basically nothing happens, and it can get a bit discouraging, but then you hit a sort of critical mass and the entire enemy team drops in like 1-2 turns.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:
    Anon said:

Slight correction: Coulson's yellow passive generates AP when friendly countdowns expire, it doesn't deal damage. I think Drax has the power that deals damage every time one expires.

Speeding up countdowns can get problematic in other ways, too. I've had him make his Shield Sniper countdown go off too soon before, wiping out other countdowns next to it that would otherwise have gone off before it. Really, tho, that's a minor thing.

It's also kind of an odd team to get used to, because for a while, basically nothing happens, and it can get a bit discouraging, but then you hit a sort of critical mass and the entire enemy team drops in like 1-2 turns.
    Actually his Blue passive does indeed make a countdown that deals damage
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Anon said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    Anon said:

Actually his Blue passive does indeed make a countdown that deals damage
     Yes, Drax does damage whenever any friendly CD expires, no matter which character originally placed it. The passive element of Coulson's blue power says that whenever an ally activates a power, create 1 random 1-turn CD that deals XXX damage (depending on how many covers you put into blue and the level Coulson is at).

(EDIT: I went back and re-read what I wrote, and I definitely should have been more clear about how/when Coulson does damage with CDs. The way I wrote it makes it sound more like Drax's power, whereas Coulson's damage component is specifically tied to the random 1-turn CD tile he creates when an ally fires an active power.)

So if you have Drax on your team, he would deal damage when C4rol's Photonic Barrage CD expires. Coulson won't do damage when her tile expires, but he will generate the random AP. And if Drax was your third on a C4rol/Coulson team, you would get double damage anytime one of Coulson's 1-turn CDs expired, from both him and Drax.

But the true MVP as a third for these two is Hawk5. CDs errywhere, dealing damage and generating AP, with C4rol buffing special tiles to infinity and beyond.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    One other way they work well together is that Carol can use her yellow on his passive cd tiles. It is generally more useful than Coulson's expensive yellow, and It creates another passive cd to replace it. I try to use them with a Red/Green active user. I often use Riri with them, I can use Coulson's purple to clean up any red charged tiles that didn't match on its own. War Machine is a natural partner, but I don't have him champed yet. Also messed around with Ghost Rider. He doesn't seem so weak when there are a bunch of strong strikes out there.
  • finlanderboy
    finlanderboy Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    edited October 2017
    Options
    A similar combo is 4* Starlord and carol.  I use this in PVE to great effects.  This combo has carried me through SCL 9 when I had 1 cover five star essential.

The purple can overwrite the tiles that would nuke your team.  The constant ap gain from enemies firing abilities witht he countdowns starlord makes can really bump your tiles too.