Welcome to the new meta

Ducky
Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
Gone are the days of Panthos' reign. 

Now revel under the glory of Gambolt!

Comments

• fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not to steal your thunder *pun intended* but let's not forget how long the last Black Bolt reign lasted. Will the Ragin' Cajun be able to help the Silent King maintain his crown a little longer this go around or do even greater mysteries and wonders await us at the corner? Only time will tell. 
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    I don't find Bolt so scary, but than again I'm only a 4* player. In the latest req 5* the combination of Inhumans made the mission hard, not necessarily Bolt himself. But Gambit will add value to him nonetheless. 
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    There's the added benefit that there's no imaginable way the AI can screw up that combo.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Seems like old man would make a nice partner to gambolt.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    The flat +80 levels new character boost on Gambit is a tad silly.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Typical.  I get both Thanos and Panther to 11 covers, needing only 2 more each and 770k ISO in total to max them and the goalposts move to the new shiny, of which I have 0 covers.  I was so close...
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Typical.  I get both Thanos and Panther to 11 covers, needing only 2 more each and 770k ISO in total to max them and the goalposts move to the new shiny, of which I have 0 covers.  I was so close...
    Phantos would still be a thing. 
  • Avalancher
    Avalancher Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    People will get Gambit pretty quickly, but not everyone will have Bolt.

Gambit will change things, but we will figure out an antidote.
  • ValekBoss
    ValekBoss Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Gambit alone will not b a problem to play against, but he will be with BB/SS.
    Still think Panthos is a good matchup against them.

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 said:
    Good to know. I've still been using Hood/Sentry, but it doesn't seem to be getting me all that far these days...
    You think you have it tough, try getting anywhere in PvP with Storm/Thor!
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm skeptical of this claim simply because as mentioned already, there seem to be a lot fewer people with Bolt than already have BP/Thanos. So, even if everyone with Bolt is able to get Gambit, there still won't be as many with that combo as there are that have BP/Thanos. I won't try to argue what's better or worse as I just don't have the experience for that, but just from a numbers standpoint I have doubts that it's going to all of a sudden be seen everywhere. 
  • Avalancher
    Gambit is really really good. He destroys Panthos when he has Bolt. It remains to be seen how he does without Bolt, and with a 3 star required in PvP.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    So there's a new character that you'll start seeing, and he'll have some synergy with some other existing characters... um, what's new about that? That happens every other week lately.

The meta is strong passives and attack/strikes. Gambit just fits into that meta, which has existed for a while now at several levels of the game; he hardly defines it.
  • Avalancher
    At the top level of PvP, things are not like that at all.
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Dormammu said:
    So there's a new character that you'll start seeing, and he'll have some synergy with some other existing characters... um, what's new about that? That happens every other week lately.

The meta is strong passives and attack/strikes. Gambit just fits into that meta, which has existed for a while now at several levels of the game; he hardly defines it.

In the 5* world there hasn't been a meta changing release since Thanos/Panther.  Yes the likes of Hawkeye, Daredevil and Spidey are very good releases but they aren't widespread and aren't as quick as Thanos/Panther.

Gambit will change the meta when used with charged tiles creators such as Bolt, Surfer and maybe even Starlord.  He also has synergies with Hawkeye.

The issue I can see is that other 5* combinations can easily take down a Thanos/Panther team.  Taking down Bolt/Gambit will be much tougher and the team is almost Ai proof.  On offense that team will comfortably punch well above its weight and will be very quick.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:

In the 5* world there hasn't been a meta changing release since Thanos/Panther.  Yes the likes of Hawkeye, Daredevil and Spidey are very good releases but they aren't widespread and aren't as quick as Thanos/Panther.

Gambit will change the meta when used with charged tiles creators such as Bolt, Surfer and maybe even Starlord.  He also has synergies with Hawkeye.

The issue I can see is that other 5* combinations can easily take down a Thanos/Panther team.  Taking down Bolt/Gambit will be much tougher and the team is almost Ai proof.  On offense that team will comfortably punch well above its weight and will be very quick.
    To that point is it really that they are that good or that they happened to show up at a time when it was easier to get 5*s.  I remember Thanos coming out around Christmas and they were giving a lot tokens for both the solo Thanos vault and I thought there were more 5*s too.  I also think this was around the same time people were really starting to catch on to the 300 pulls in Latest vs chasing Classics meta.

I'm not saying they aren't good, I'm asking if the reason they are so dominate just that they're good or because they are good and had more availability than others?  We all know unless you whale you can't really chase the 5* you want regardless, it's 95% or more up to RNG or when you pull (aka hoarding).  

Just a though, not a fully fleshed out one, but this thread got me thinking about it.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    this thread scares the tiny out of my kitty.
    i will never, ever leave 4* land.