Take the other 5*s out of release tokens

Orion
Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
I forget where it started, but release tokens for a new 5* used to have just the release character in it, albeit at 10% odds instead of the normal 15%.  Now they've decided for some reason to include two other random 5*s in there and keep the odds at 15%.  This is dumb for several reasons.

1)  It keeps people from getting who they really want - the new 5*.  The chance of getting him drop from 10% to 5%.

2)  The two other 5*s might be good or they might be terrible.  Sure, put Thanos and Black Bolt in there and people will buy them.  But no one wants to buy a release token and get a Banner instead of Gambit.

3)  If Customer Service only does swaps for the new 5*, then this becomes even more of a bad deal.  The worst thing in this game is to pull a 5* cover that you can't use, especially if you pay the inflated 25 CP price for it.  Either do swaps for everyone or don't do them at all, and come up with a solution for this ASAP.

So do you guys like the old release tokens or these new ones?

Comments

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Its a reasonable complaint.  There are too many different token stores and not enough clarity on whether swaps will be honored.

Post a clear and consistent policy of what types of store offerings will be made, and how the rotation of chars will be decided.

I like having options!

But make the options clear and easy to understand so players and alliance commanders can advise and react accordingly.

There are currently 4 different 5* combo offers available that cover roughly 1/2 the released 5* tier.  (including 3 different stores that offer OML or PHX)  How are players supposed to reasonably understand which offer gives them the best chance to get their desired cover?

• CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    I personally would never buy the tokens with only a 10% chance of getting a 5* no matter how good they may be (and Gambit does appear exceptional at first glance).

I like the addition of the extra 5*s in these packs, having options in never a bad thing and they can give you a chance to finish or add champ levels to characters otherwise difficult to obtain once they've left Latest packs.

The swaps are an issue for some, but if they were transparent about it and advised of their policy ahead of time I wouldn't have a big problem with it.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    These tokens appeal to players who need any 5*, and Whales, I guess. Champ levels for 5* are pretty great, so if you have the older 5* champed I guess it can give you a chance at another 25 CP to put in the slot machine again :)

As you say, it depends who they are put in packs with. I wasn't even considering purchasing from Mes Amis, or any of these new 5* stores, but the 1:4 error was a no brainer.

I'd probably lean towards 15% for 3 5*s being better bang for your buck. 
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    If we are getting Thor for our next 5* (given the movie releasing right around that time), this system of 3 themed characters sure looks like a 25 CP token with characters from Thor: Ragnarok. Which would be Thor, Dr. Strange, and... Hulk. I can see why people will prefer the old method for those options.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards

2)  The two other 5*s might be good or they might be terrible.  Sure, put Thanos and Black Bolt in there and people will buy them.  But no one wants to buy a release token and get a Banner instead of Gambit.
    Making WILD assumptions here but, with Thor: Ragnarok on the horizon there's good reason to believe we'll see a 5 star Thor, and since Hulk is a major character in the film  you can bet those release tokens will be
    Thor, Banner, and possibly Strange
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't hate the idea, but as is typically the case, I don't like the implementation. I always felt like paying the 5cp premium for a decrease in 5* odds was a particularly bad game to play. I cashed in my 2 or 3 tokens I happened to get from the events and considered myself (incredibly) lucky if I pulled the new 5*. So, I'm happy that they've adjusted 5* odds back to the "normal" 15%, but where I'm not happy is that it is nearly random who gets to be in the token with the new character. This time there was a natural fit with OML and PHX both being xmen as well as the new character Gambit. But as mentioned above, what happens when Thor is released? He's an avenger so you could choose 2 other avengers...good luck figuring out which ones to pick. Daredevil was a good example of this as there aren't 2 other 5s already out there in his "universe" so did they just pick 2 at random? Or maybe there are some super loose connections going on? 

Tl;dr - My beef isn't that the new char went from 10% to 5%, it's that you're at the mercy of who they pick for the other 2 characters to decide if it's worth your time opening tokens or not. 
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor

So do you guys like the old release tokens or these new ones?

I prefer the 25%, 3way split. Once the bluelight special ends and the data push begins, then it depends who's being offered.
    (finishing the part I put in bold) ....then it doesn't matter to me, because I'm likely going to only draw 4* anyway.

If I would ask for any change, in general, it would be some more transparency in these stores. Like, "Hey we're going to start pairing up new characters with 2 other 5* from now on" and put that info out to players. 
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Beer40 said:

If I would ask for any change, in general, it would be some more transparency in these stores. Like, "Hey we're going to start pairing up new characters with 2 other 5* from now on" and put that info out to players. 
    Understand your point, but this is the 3rd one now (counting the random Cosmic store that appeared).  I think it's safe to conclude it's started, and the next 5* will also be in this format.

As far as the OP goes, with the basic 5* strategy being to hoard latests and pull the new characters from there anyway, I do prefer these new tokens with two classic 5s.   Classics are basically a dead zone for 5*.

So while OML/PHX may not be super attractive, when Bolt and/or Thanos do come around, the 4 day window to get them at 5% again massively trumps a 4 day window of 10% new character, IMO.

Bluelight special FTW though.  Someone somewhere has to see what an effect 4 hours of 25% has on spending CP.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    You know, I just figured out why the DD store had the people it did.  DD and Spidey are pretty buddy buddy in the comics (yeah, Widow makes sense too, but there are only so many slots). Spidey and DD have even, in stories, switched costumes and DD was one of the first people to know Spidey is PP(he could tell from his heartbeat).  Spidey was the first superhero to guest star in DD waaay back.  

And after the Shadowland comic story, DD's book became Black Panther:  the Man without Fear for a while, with BP being the guardian of Hell's Kitchen.  DD left town after being "killed", and went to a new book by Mark Waid that, if you are a DD fan, you absolutely must read.

So there you go.  Logic.

To OP question:  the 10% store was a bum deal.  (Fewer 5's for your CP?  Pass.) The current version is worse, with no swaps and a reduced chance at the hotness. Wait for Latest unless you're dropping the big bucks or have the other two champed.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZeiramMR said:
    If we are getting Thor for our next 5* (given the movie releasing right around that time), this system of 3 themed characters sure looks like a 25 CP token with characters from Thor: Ragnarok. Which would be Thor, Dr. Strange, and... Hulk. I can see why people will prefer the old method for those options.
    That’s my bet too. Meh about hulk but I’d love better odds for Strange. Lack of CS swaps is pretty much a deal breaker though.