The Loneliest Store ever?

bluewolf
bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
So you may not have noticed this, but among the many options you have right now to spend CP and HP there is an X-Men vs Apocalypse store.  It's not a vault and there are no tokens being awarded to it (all events are awarding Anniversary tokens).

So for HP, you can buy from:
Heroic (normal store, aways there)
Combined Arms (available until end of day Friday)
Heroes for Hire (I suppose, if you really want/need a green Dino)
Rogue and Friends (available until end of day Friday)
Remy Lebeau store (available for 3 days - has 3 Gambits in it, plus a chance at a 5* if you buy it out)
Anniversary vault  (isn't everyone spending some HP here?)
And Taco stores

The X-Men vs Apocolypse store is, I suppose, for people who REALLY REALLY want a champed 3* Gambit now.  Note that like any 3* weighted store (think PVP), your odds of a 4* drop from 1/14 to 1/18.  So you are paying extra to be the first on the block with a 3* champ, while getting fewer 4*s.  You might also use it for getting Prof X or Quicksilver if you are desperate for those covers - but no guarantees, of course.

It just seems like a strange store to have sitting there this time around.  Seems unlikely to get much activity.  I mean, maybe if you are whaling 5* Gambit, you want a place to spend your HP, and you will just drop it in this store and hope for the 3* too.  But it still seems like the Anniversary vault would be a better place to spend the HP you are buying.

Anyone disagree that these 3* weighted stores are mostly just taking up space?  Can you imagine whaling a 3* at this point in the game? (This has been nagging at me for a while with all these PVP stores.  Just give me Heroic tokens, really.  Or make a short term vault or something.)

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,106 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe they were gonna put Apocalypse in this store and forgot.

• Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    It probably depends on your tier of play.  I think anyone that could be considered to have a transitioning 4* or greater roster would only buy from these stores as an additional random chance, and then probably only the daily deals for the discount (better than 300 for another heroic, at least).  I have no idea what percentage of the player base is in 1-3* territory right now, and whether they care enough about where they're at to spend there rather than immediately trying to jump to 4 or 5*.  Maybe there's some demand.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Some people just started playing and getting a jumpstart on a 3* Gambit that no one else really has yet is an appealing thing for them.
  • MaskedMan
    MaskedMan Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    If you build it they will come.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,605 Chairperson of the Boards
    Presumably, if it wasn't awarding Anniversary tokens, the Apocalypse event would be awarding Xmen v Apocalypse tokens.

So, y'know, next time, lonely store, next time.

Further, if they'd skipped the store because it's clearly redundant with everything else going on, we'd have a forum thread that said "Where the hell is the X-Men Vs Apocalypse Store?" instead.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    I got the Remy Lebeau one- It had a cover I needed to get 13 and it was better than a HfH buy. Also HP comes cheap for me (I don't shield in PvP) and CP is super valuable for the way I play. So it was a good deal for me, got a head start on Gambit and the rest went in the farm, nothing wasted
  • ProfessorGumby
    ProfessorGumby Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    I'm thinking the loneliest store ever might be "Fan Favorites". Running opposite a new 5* release token. And possible being a one-time offer .... has anyone touched those things?

Got a "free" FF token from the anniversary vault... so yes... but not paying 25 CP for it...  :p
  • j0nats
    j0nats Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    I'm thinking the loneliest store ever might be "Fan Favorites". Running opposite a new 5* release token. And possible being a one-time offer .... has anyone touched those things?

i did hehe got a bp out of it not bad.  thats coz i got a gambit from my 1st mes amis token
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    I went with Fan favorite and got a Black Bolt and a Dr. Strange 
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards

I accidentally did because I thought I was pulling Mes Amis tokens, until I pulled a black Thano5 cover. I really wish it had been Black Bolt or Widow, as that's the one useless cover for my 5/1/4.
  • MaskedMan

If you aren't a 5* player yet it is a great deal.  Why get mostly garbage 4* characters when you can get the cream of the crop?  Even the 5* characters, if you have none what do you care if you get a "new" character if you currently only have 1 or 2?   

Fan Favorites is a much better deal for anyone who doesn't have a maxed out line up.  Sure you have a chance for Gambit but you have the same chance for Doc Ock.  At least in Fan Favs there are "supposedly" no loser characters.
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Agreed with @MaskedMan. The Mes Amis tokens end today (October 9), after that, the Fan Favorites tokens become significantly better than other legends tokens for the last week of anniversary, although I suspect most people will either pull classics for 5CP less or wait until Ock filters out of Latest Legends and Gambit filters in.

But, if you're in that specific space where one of the favorite 5* makes a big difference to your roster, then this is a better chance than anything else once the Mes Amis store disappears.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Honor Among Thieves looks pretty lonely too
  • Copps
    Copps Posts: 333 Mover and Shaker
    Well taking my 4/5/2 bolt to level 452 made me pretty happy about the fan faves store. Spent about 600 cp there also got a strange level and covers for thanos and oml. 
  • MaskedMan
    My point is that if you are at 4* level you aren't ever pulling latest legends anyway.  Who cares if there is a new 5* it is just one more 5* you don't have.  You are better of spending your extra 5 cps on classics.

But Fan Favorites allows you a chance to get some of the best older characters (or build them up) which you may have missed or need so they would be worth the extra 5 cps.

Personally getting another "one card wonder" isn't at the top of my to do list either.  So unless you have serious points to spend the benefits are minimal.