Second 5* champion - pros and cons?

Options
Magic
Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
Hello

I am looking at an interesting situation/choice - 14th cover for my max covered OML. I have the ISO to champion him so now I've got 2 weeks to consider if I should.

I have one other 5* championed - Strange. I mainly play PvE as my time is limited plus PvP with 1 champion is not great.

In PvP I am matched well - mainly 1 champed 5* or many times not even - leveled 5* but not championed. On the other hand I am fodder to double champed teams (Phantos in general - one of two that I would not hit myslef). So the float point is so low (300-350 points) that I stopped trying to get 900 points (not to mention 1200 but I just don't have the time and will to shield hop).

If I champion OML my goals would remain the same - max progerssion in PvE and 575-650 in PvP (with sometimes push for 900). I wonder how the addition of OML can change that. I expect the PvE to be easier (even if more repetitive when I have to bring 2 5* every day). But PvP is what worries me. Would I be matched against double-champs all the time? If yes - what are my chances on offence with that pair in regard to the main goal of getting 10 CP (and maybe 2k for the season). 

Any insight would be appreciated.

ps. I am sitting on a hoard of LT (170+). I hope to be ready to pull towards the end of Daredevil in the pack (so DD, Gambit and Thor) and for sure before Gambit is removed. That means that by the end of the year I will have 3 more 5* champions anyway so it might make sense to add OML to the list now that I have an extra cover.

Comments

• CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Thanos/Surfer is a viable PVP combo so I would much rather have them than Strange/OML which may be usable on offense (but certainly not great) but would put on massive target on your back on defence.

With two 5* champs you will always be able to be seen by other duo 5* teams, although you should still be able to queue 5/4 combos.  Also whilst you would have duo 5* you don't have to use them - a 5* with a decent levelled boosted 4* can sometimes be better.

For PVE it's a no-brainer. The extra match damage alone will speed up your clears.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Thanos Surfer is excellent in pvp, and champing Thanos will make your PvE considerably easier too.

Logan and Strange together are terrific in PvE, less so in PvP because of low health, but OML is still ok even if he’s not as strong as before. Drop some strikes and let Strange’s passive destroy the AI!
  • Magic
    Options
    I've made up my mind and I will champion Logan after the Anniversary week. I will take it from there. Thanks to all who commented. 

As you said - PvE will get a boost (might add my 1-5-3 Bolt to the mix, he is already 360). And for PvP - if it will help on offence than I will be able to achieve my goal (575 CP). I am happy with that. And in couple of months it will be Gambit and Thor in the mix ;)
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If you can’t get to 575 with 2 champed 5*s then I’d worry for you. Your MMR will shift though - don’t freak out, it’s fine. Just remember you have 2 yourself, and Panther hates strange passive...
  • Magic
    Options
    No worries - 575 won't be a problem. As for Panther - I think my strange hates his passive more. I avoid that team and hit others. 
  • Magic
    Options
    I've done it. Initial feedback is - I think it was a right move. Not sure if I will enjoy playing the same teams all the time but I am already experimenting more than just with Strange in terms of team compositions. 

Having two 5* helps immensely in PvE (since I didn't have required 5* i have dropped to scl6 for Nightcrawler and by playing close to optimal I've manged to win the bracket). There are cases where OML is better (easy nodes with Thanos) and when Strange is better (all-goon nodes when there is a good combo of 4* boosted).

As for PvP - i think it might be better than with one 5*. Previously I could float at 300 points but now it seems much higher (might be also due to the new PvP system - time will tell). I can pair each of them with boosted 4* or both in the same team so gives me a bit of options. Also for Storm PvP i've hit 1000 points without sweat (i was not really being hit going there - finished under 900 due to shield miscalculation but if 800 is the float point - i already like it for the season rewards). My opponents are usually double-championed 5* but not always. And the pair can handle them (even Panthos - is still avoid Hawkeye with coulson and Gambit). The use of health packs seems lower thanks to OML heal.

So far so good. Looking forward to opening the hoard in couple of months (currently 200 pulls so still a way to go) to expand the 5* game and include my favourite comic book hero :)