4* DDQ: Devil Dinosaur vs. Squirrel Girl

Options
DarthDeVo
DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
It ended up being a much closer match than it should have been for my 1/3/3 Level 152 Dino. I still got it first try with no boosts, but finished with ~2900 health left. Token to the hoard. 

I started the match with several match 5's, some even in my strong colors, so that boosted my damage and AP. Things were going well. I had fired all of my powers at least once. Then she fired The Bigger They Are.

The protects all landed on tiles I couldn't match away, and several Bites did nothing for me.  Then I ran into a string of off-color matches while SG was getting all the good ones. She fired Furry Friends and at least one Nuts From Above, and most off the CDs resolved.

Now it looked like things could be slipping away from me. Thankfully I think I was able to get two of the three protects matched away. It was either one more Bite or Chomp (can't remember which) and she was down. 

On paper, it's a fairly simple fight, since you share two colors with her. If you have an undercovered/underleveled Dino, just make sure you're also keeping an eye on her yellow matches and try to keep her from firing The Bigger They Are. Your match damage will grind to a halt if you can't get rid of those protects. 

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It was cake with 3/5/5 L210.  First try no real strat other than get my colors, mainly red.
  • PresidentDoom2020
    PresidentDoom2020 Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I wish they stopped rolling out this worthless joke character
  • thechairman
    thechairman Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    3/1/2 level 131. First run no boosts was a cascade-fest for the Squirrel and lost handily. Boosted damage next run, and had a normal board for a fairly easy win.

Got a Blue War Machine taking him to 4/2/1, might be another crash that gets over the hump next time.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Got it after a few goes with my 1/1/4 level 135 Devil Dinosaur using some damage boosts.  It's a bit tough with only one cover in each of the main damage dealing powers, but doable with some luck.

Yellow seems to be the main colour to prioritise, especially early on in the game: if Squirrel Girl gets casts her yellow while you've still got most of your health, she gets even stronger protect tiles.  Luckily her purple does limited damage due to DD not producing any friendly special tiles, so prioritise green over purple.

From the anniversary thread, it sounds like we get Devil Dinosaur for the crash again in 5 days with a different legendary token.  Hopefully I'll have some more covers by then.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    2/3/4 level 74 first try.

100% match damage
    Boost red
    Boost purple

Whole lot of luck involved: multiple match 5s, was able to bent enough purple and red to keep her from firing those powers. 

Really came down to the wire. I had 389 health and she had around 400. Luckily I had one last purple to fire off.

Think I pulled a champ level gamora.

• Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have a level 282 Dino, and it's sad that even at that level, he can't steamroll Squirrel Girl.

Give the poor guy an upgrade!  You don't have to make him top tier, just make him usable.  Red and Green should do double what they do right now.

#makeDinogreatagain  actually more like #makeDinogreatforthefirsttime
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Orion said:
    I have a level 282 Dino, and it's sad that even at that level, he can't steamroll Squirrel Girl.

Give the poor guy an upgrade!  You don't have to make him top tier, just make him usable.  Red and Green should do double what they do right now.

#makeDinogreatagain  actually more like #makeDinogreatforthefirsttime
    Really?  I left like my L210 was a steamroll... Maybe I just had a good board.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It took one try and no boosts for my Lv277 Dino.  At 2/2/2 SG's powers don't have as much bite, so once you get 10 red it's pretty much over and you don't really need to worry about denial (except maybe yellow if you aren't getting enough red/green).  I had a really odd board which was absolutely flooded with blue from start to finish (we both ended up with 30 blue stored up without really trying).  I've never seen one color drop so consistently through a whole match...especially as it meant nothing to either of us.

In any case, the token gave a blue Warmachine, making him 4/2/2 (which means he will be maxed when I get 3 covers from daily resupply and two raising Quicksilver to 265 (he's only ~190 now).
  • Hyposphere6234
    Hyposphere6234 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    Options
    No boosts with my 3/3/3 188 Dino and I won on my first try with around 2.5k health left. The board was good for colours but the power damage for both sides was absolute anus and it became a complete war of attrition. I think the only thing that swung it my way was the lower cost of powers.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So far my 3/2/1 Lvl 131 Dino has hit a brick wall. The annoying thing is that it has been close every single time so I know it is doable, just can't seem to get a decent board.
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Options
    3/3/1 lv.152 no boosts.

Gave it a couple tries at level 90, but wasn't enough damage output so I spent the iso to get him some levels.

Went for green and purple first since shared colors help me and block her. Used each ability as I had the ap to fire them without any thoughts about timing or strategy.

Token to the hoard.

Picked up more covers later in the day so he's 5/3/2 now which should make the one in a few days even easier.
  • MaskedMan
    MaskedMan Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Squirrel never had a chance.  Only shot she got off was a purple which did hardly any damage since Devil has no special tiles. 

This should be a cake walk but Squirrel Girl is an annoying character not a necessarily a good one.  Much like She Hulk using her will just frustrate you but facing her will occasionally leave you like Doctor Doom wondering how the heck that happened.
  • Dataspectre
    Dataspectre Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Options
    took a few days and tries to get her out of the tree, with my L127 2/2/2 with y/r +1ap, +1 all ap and +20% all color boosts.

all I can say board of luck be with you.

Saving LT, don't have enough HP to roster if a new cover/character pops up
  • rocks52
    rocks52 Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Finally won after 6 tries.  Tried 4 times last night with lv 106 2/0/2 Dino, couldn't get it done.  Got a third purple today and leveled him up to 127.  First try, she was able to get her shields out early and I couldn't do anything.  Tried again with +50% ry and bp, and +60% all, won with about 500 health left.  Squirrel girl had 4 shields out but I was able to do enough damage with bite and a match 4 to get her down.

LT gave me Gwenpoole getting her to lv 280 and an LT reward which gave me red war machine.  He's at 5/3/3 and I don't know if I'm going to push to try and champ him as I also have an X-23 cover to decide on pushing to champ her.  We'll see
  • smkspy
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Another first round victory for level 74 3/4/4 Dino.
    Again 100% match damage, r/y and all color boosts.

It really was nail biter this time as I had about 300 something health left and she has around a 1000. Her last match took me down to 79 HP. But a lucky cascade on my part fueled dino's red and purple enough. 

He came out a champ once again. 

Eh, champ level blade from the token.
  • thechairman
    thechairman Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Well, I took my new and improved 5/2/5 DD up to level 185 for round 2 and cruised through with little trouble unboosted despite eating a bunch of powers from the squirrel.

Blue Kate Bishop to 4/4/1, another first time crash victory for her coming up.
  • rocks52
    rocks52 Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Options
    got 2 more Devil Dino covers bringing him up to lv 168 and 3/0/4.  Much easier win this time, although would be even easier if I could get his chomp.

LT gave me Blade which brought him up to lv 280 giving another LT cover which netted me Vulture bringing him to 273
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    In five days, my Dino went from 1/3/3 Level 152 to 3/5/3 Level 229. I've gotten a green and red cover from the Anniversary vault so far, the green cover from the Anniversary season SHIELD Simulator, and a red from the last Taco vault when I pulled my hoard. 

I breezed through the fight this time, first try with no boosts. I fired each power once, and the new and improved Chomp a total of two times and that was all she wrote. Finished with 11195 health.

Token got me Carnage red, taking him to 4/3/3. This is pretty awesome, as I'm sitting in 10th place overall for HAT, despite an absolutely terrible start. If I can hold that place, that will take him to 4/4/4, 4/5/4 with progression from the following event. 
  • smkspy
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm so glad I didn't have to sink any iso in dino, feels hard enough to come by already in double iso event.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Finally got it done on like my 20th try. 2/2/1, lvl 111. Don't have any match damage boosts to use.

Now, to try it again.