A newb needs advice...

Options
Leaflet
Leaflet Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/leafstalker/

Been playing for about two months now, rank 26, and I am trying to transition from 2* to 3*.  I am having a hard time picking what event/pvp level to enter at.  Level 3 doesn't reward 3* characters, and level 4 seems to hard to reach end rewards.  Also PvP it doesn't seem to mater what level I pick almost everyone out levels me at all levels...

Am I trying to jump the * system to soon?  Do I need to concentrate more on 2*'s till I champ 3*'s?  My 3* team so far is Mohawk, R&G, and who should I pick for #3?  Did I pick the wrong two?  R&G seem great on defense but offer very little offense, and Mohawk was awesome until I leveled up Ares should I replace either of them?

I am just a touch lost as to how to progress.  I have spent an embarrassing amount of money thus far and realize I may have ranked/rostered faster than my skill has improved.  Not that I regret it or anything as I do really enjoy this game and feel the initial investment was worth it...  I don't know I am just babbling now...

Comments

• aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Roster stuffs:

First of all, STOP leveling up your 5* and don't open Legendary Tokens for now. Save up all the LT (Legendary Token) and CP until your roster are fully developed in 3* land. As you probably have noticed, the 4* in your roster right now are not helpful at all, so keep them as LT/CP in your wallet is better.

You are doing fine in term of transition, just be patient. Both 3*R&G and Mohawk are support-oriented, but decent choice. From your roster, I would recommend focusing on Dr. Strange, Kamala (KK), Patch, Luke Cage, and Black Panther (just because they have more covers than other top tier). Other top tiers you should keep them around the corner are 3Cyclops, Iron fist, Scarlet Witch, IM40, and Magneto (I probably missed someone, but you probably get the idea) Once you get 1-2 top tier champed, switch your focus to battery type 3* (IM40, SW, IF).

While waiting for the 3*, feel free to champ the rests of your 2* and start farming them. You will get a very nice rewards from it, including some handy 3* covers.

Event: PvP
    I believe that having lv256 BSSM is your roster is what makes the game 'think' your roster is stronger than what it is. There is thing called MMR which the game used to match you with an opponent of the same level. No one knows how the MMR is calculated exactly but it seems related to the average level of the 4 highest characters in your roster. (Hence why having a 5* in your roster this early is very bad for PvP) Check several threads in Tip&Guides sub-forum. There are many new players who fell into this 5* thingy.

For PvE: I can't really comment on this since the clearance level wasn't a thing when I made the transition ages ago. All I can say is the main source of 3* back then was the cover in the DDQ (Deadpool Daily Quest) and tokens. (I hardly participated in PvE thanks to my 2x 5* back then.) Don't feel bad playing in a lower SCL than the max SCL that you can play. Choose the one that fit your roster strength.

Hope these help
  • MrCroaker64
    MrCroaker64 Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Options
    I would agree with everything that aa25 said.

I would take it one step further though and recommend that you sell the 5* BSSM.

At that point, save your CP/LT and concentrate on leveling 2* and 3*. You will get to the point where you know the events well enough to come to like some of them, and dislike others. On the ones that you like, try taking that next step up in SCL level and see how it goes. Soon enough you will be able to breeze through it for all events and then you can start looking to move up again.

Good luck.

-Croak. 
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Since others have given you much of the base advice, I'll just throw a few extra random points in.

a. Everybody makes the mistake of opening a LT too early and getting a 5*. If you worry too much about what this might be doing to your scaling, then sell it. That said, with the move to SCL for PVE, the only place where there's an impact is PVP, and the impact is overrated if you only have 1 5*. Don't get a second one until you're ready for it, which is when you have a good collection of 3* champs.
    b. Play DDQ. Every day. Go as far as you can, and don't be afraid to use your 5* BSSM; his hit points and match damage won't help. I didn't see a 1* on your roster; if you don't have one, get a good one (and only one); like Iron Man or Juggs. You can clear the first DDQ node with only one, and that's 500 points, a token and helps get the bigger tokens every day. You should always clear the first three nodes, and you can probably clear the 4th one (Dat Required Character) most days. 
    c. Find a PVE SCL level that works for you. Given your roster, this is likely to be SCL 4, but that's OK; the progression rewards will really help.
    d. Don't worry about PVP. Certainly play it if you'd like, but don't worry about your results. Consider it a good success if you get to 300; the rewards are still worth it. 

You're doing fine. You already have 6 2* champs; you don't need more to progress, although like the others have said, you can't have too many 2* champs. Don't farm anybody you need to win matches until you don't need them any more (probably OBW, Ares, Wolverine, Thor, Torch, and I would champ Hawkeye, Storm and Mags ASAP; my 2 go-to teams in 2* land are OBW/Wolvie/Torch and Storm/Mags/Thor; others have other teams, but the point is you can't go wrong with them). Once you don't need them any more to win matches, then you can start selling and rebuilding them (which is what farming is), but only when they get to level 144. For now, your teams are going to be mostly 2* with some of your better covered/leveled 3* to help out as needed. Soon, you'll start getting more 3* and that's the point you start to transition.

MPQ is a "slow and steady" kind of advancement model. Sure, you can dump a whole lot of $$$ and advance quickly, but unlike many FTP games, you don't NEED to spend money to advance. I kick a few dollars to the devs every month since they deserve to get paid, but honestly I get a lot more by just playing than I do by paying. And there are a lot of people out there with very advanced rosters who have never paid a cent.

I hope this helps; and good luck!

• byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hey look, another person who fell into the Legendary token trap.

It's the single most nonsense and **** reward in the game.  All it does is screw people up.

They should either not give it out, or have it not count for scaling until certain Shield levels.
  • Leaflet
    Leaflet Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the advice and the help.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not sure who are your bonus heroes but for 3* I would concentrate on 1 or 2 at the most and definitely make one of them Doctor Strange. He is absolutely a beast against goons in PVE and his stun is also great, he will make life much easier the quicker you can get his covers.