What'd be in store for a returning player?

The Finn
The Finn Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
Hi all,

I've put this game down twice for extended stretches over the last few years.  Every so often I check in and see some cool things (Gambit and Rogue this time!) that gives me the itch to try again. 

I was was wondering what your feedback would be on the current state of the game.  Worth another go round?

Thanks in advance and cheers

Comments

• thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Lot depends on why you quit.

If you quit because the game can get incredibly repetitive with the same events cycling over and over. Not a lot has changed.

In terms of character design, lots are fun to play together and there has been an amazing improvement in that respect.

They have put in difficulty tiers for story mode which is a major improvement as well.
  • The Finn
    Thanks that's helpful!  How is the grind now?  Do you need to set your schedule around MPQ to place well?  
  • The Finn
    Getting 40 wins seems much more doable than the constant chase--that's what really put me off in the end, having to spend so much effort in order to feel like I 'accomplished' something worthwhile.  
  • The Finn
    Only saw it today in one of the notification screens when i reinstalled the game to take a peek.  Haven't played a match yet though.  
  • The Finn
    mexus said:
    The Finn said:
    Only saw it today in one of the notification screens when i reinstalled the game to take a peek.  Haven't played a match yet though.  
    Bonus Heroes is a great thing. Will help you build your desired character much faster.
    The 3* Gambit will probably be fully covered within days.
    Days to max cover, I like the sound of that!  I'm sold. ;)
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,107 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Finn said:
    mexus said:
    The Finn said:
    Bonus Heroes is a great thing. Will help you build your desired character much faster.
    Days to max cover, I like the sound of that!  I'm sold. ;)
    Just make sure Gambit is your only 3* Bonus Hero (when he eventually goes into elites and heroics) to speed things up.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blood, sweat and tears.

Stay away.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    mexus said:
    You won't be able to use BH to cover Gambit until the following character release (since new characters can't be designated as BH).
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,107 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not sure about days but Mexus is right. The last 3* release was Elektra (not sure when she entered heroics & elites, September maybe?) but I already have her at 2/5/5 and probably others have her maxed already and most of that was down to Bonus Heroes.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Finn said:
    Thanks that's helpful!  How is the grind now?  Do you need to set your schedule around MPQ to place well?  
     And not only is placement grindy, progression got more grindy (assuming you quit when 4 clears got you max progression).  They moved it to 5 clears.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    mexus said:
    You won't be able to use BH to cover Gambit until the following character release (since new characters can't be designated as BH).
    Partly true.  A character is "new" until they can be pulled from tokens.  5*s are available 2 weeks after release.  For 3 and 4, this happens at the start of the next season, not when the next character is released.   It may be slightly different this time due to the season being a ways off due to Anniversary events.

Anyway, within about 3 weeks, any hero can be "bonused".  
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    With any game like this (one ruled by ever-present powercreep), I'd personally recommend never coming back if you quit. That said, it's because for me personally, I hate the idea of being so far behind the curve. If you just play casually and don't care about how your roster stacks up, it might be worthwhile. Newer characters are frequently introducing new mechanics and are generally much more interesting than the old guard's "get AP, fire big damage" style of play.

That's mainly in the 4- and 5-star tiers, though. If you're in 2-3 star territory it will take you a while to get somewhere you can appreciate, though admittedly not nearly as long as it would have in the early days.
  • dudethtsawesome
    dudethtsawesome Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    It mainly depends on where you left off, are you in 4* transition or still working on champing all 3*s?  The game has shifted meta's and I wouldn't want to start this game now if I was still in the 3* phase of it.  The new 4*s are really fun to use, the dud's are getting farther between and they usually fix the one's that suck a lot faster now too. 
  • The Finn
    It mainly depends on where you left off, are you in 4* transition or still working on champing all 3*s?  The game has shifted meta's and I wouldn't want to start this game now if I was still in the 3* phase of it.  The new 4*s are really fun to use, the dud's are getting farther between and they usually fix the one's that suck a lot faster now too. 

I was in 4* transition. Saw some recent posts on Facebook re: team comps being much more varied and to your point, that 4*s had relevance/value again. That's what piqued my interest.  

I'd come back as a casual but not sure how much the pull of wanting to place well will affect me. But I definitely don't want to go back to the old grind for hours and hours.  

Thanks for everyone's feedback!  I guess I'll dip a toe in and see how it goes.  I may rue the day... 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    You remember in Happy Gilmore when Happy is taking his grandmother home from the retirement home and as they're driving away an old woman jumps on the hood of his car and screams "Get me out of here!"? That's pretty much MPQ these days. Sooo maybe check things out for Anniversary and see if they implement any new stuff like the win-based system for pvp or a better progression system for pve and then I'd go back to not playing if I were you. I feel like they really screwed up the game when they started the 5* essential node in pve. Clearance level based scaling was a great improvement and made clearing nodes much faster but the 5* node just negates that now so bleh.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    The Finn said:
    Hi all,

I've put this game down twice for extended stretches over the last few years.  Every so often I check in and see some cool things (Gambit and Rogue this time!) that gives me the itch to try again. 

I was was wondering what your feedback would be on the current state of the game.  Worth another go round?

Thanks in advance and cheers
    This reminds me of run of "I'm back!" posts we had in the Forum awhile back. I wonder if any of those people stayed? 

I would offer you some good advice, but it appears you can't let this game go.
  • veneretio
    veneretio Posts: 76 Match Maker
    As someone that played for 400 or so days... left for a year or so and just came back... here's my feedback:

- 4* are everywhere, but you must resist using CP and opening Legendary tokens

- Roster slots are the single most important part of the game

- Bonus Heroes are the greatest

- PvE feels about the same, be careful how high you punch though

- PvP is a rude awakening... obviously everyone else's rosters kept improving while yours did nothing... so ya, you're going to suck here a lot, placement is possible, but progression is tough

- PvE is way more rewarding from a progression standpoint than it used to be, placement is a waste of your time

- The game is the same. It's fun though to be struggling again. What caused me to leave the game was it was too easy. I had all the roster slots I needed. I didn't have to be creative with lineups. I basically just smashed face and burned gold as fast as I got it on whatever I felt like. Now I have actual goals to shoot towards and a lot of new characters to explore. Overall, the rewards feel really generous and champions are more enjoyable to upgrade now than they were a year ago. I'm glad I'm back.
  • The Finn
    veneretio said:
    As someone that played for 400 or so days... left for a year or so and just came back... here's my feedback:

- 4* are everywhere, but you must resist using CP and opening Legendary tokens

- Roster slots are the single most important part of the game

- Bonus Heroes are the greatest

- PvE feels about the same, be careful how high you punch though

- PvP is a rude awakening... obviously everyone else's rosters kept improving while yours did nothing... so ya, you're going to suck here a lot, placement is possible, but progression is tough

- PvE is way more rewarding from a progression standpoint than it used to be, placement is a waste of your time

- The game is the same. It's fun though to be struggling again. What caused me to leave the game was it was too easy. I had all the roster slots I needed. I didn't have to be creative with lineups. I basically just smashed face and burned gold as fast as I got it on whatever I felt like. Now I have actual goals to shoot towards and a lot of new characters to explore. Overall, the rewards feel really generous and champions are more enjoyable to upgrade now than they were a year ago. I'm glad I'm back.
    Thanks for everyone's comments.  Glad to wharves your enjoying it again veneretio!  

Im going to check out the anniversary events and take it from there--hope my response is as positive as yours. ;)