Magic: Puzzle Quest's New Development Team: Oktagon Games (9/27/17)

Options
Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited September 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Hi Everyone,

Since Hibernum's closure in the middle of August, we've been working as quickly and effectively as we could to find a new development team that would be the best fit to continue developing Magic: the Gathering - Puzzle Quest. We know that many players have been anxious to know more information, and we absolutely appreciate everyone's patience and support during this transition period.

Today, we're finally excited to announce that we'll be partnering up with Oktagon Games as the new development team. In addition, Steve Fawkner, the original creator of Puzzle Quest, will be taking a Senior Designer consultant role with Oktagon Games to assist on the title.

If you'd like to learn more about Oktagon Games, or about our development schedule for the coming few months, then please head over to the full announcement article below:

D3 Go! Names Oktagon Games As Developer Of Magic: The Gathering - Puzzle Quest Mobile Game

Comments

• shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Steve Fawkner intrigues me. I am, as I may have mentioned before in this forum, a massive, massive fan of the orginal Puzzle Quest game.

Anyone played any of Oktagon Games other games?
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Steve, can we please get some new ideas in the events? Just doing new cards isn't cutting it anymore. Please bring some real innovation and get rid of enraged! More story mode @bken1234
  • shteev
    Options
    Steve, can we please get some new ideas in the events? Just doing new cards isn't cutting it anymore. Please bring some real innovation and get rid of enraged!
    Well, I'll try! thanks for putting your faith in me! Although I don't really see how I can have too much of an effect on development....

...oh. Oh, right, I see.

Egg on my face.
  • shteev
    Options
    oktagongames.com features 3 different games on it's title page... sadly 2 of them aren't on android, and one of them isn't available in my region.
  • TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I am just glad we are getting some information and am hoping that Oktagon will give the game the new energy it needs.
  • rinzler
    rinzler Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'll say that I am pleased with this release. First of all, it was definitely not hobbled together. They made sure to put  Steve Fawkners' name in the second sentence. Hopefully it will give us a sense of reassurance. By the end of the second paragraph it was said that features promised would be implemented by the end of the year. And I am good with that. As long as it holds true. It would be disappointing to see them come around some time next summer. And then to finish it off, there was the statement that, "Details of this schedule will be available to view via the D3 Go! forums in the coming days." And I am good with this as well.

What I hope is realized by D3GO, and now Oktagon, is that when there is a company that has outside investment, commonly "shareholders" the players of the game should be seen as "shareholders" as well. It is the players that play, pay (in both money and time), and promote. They should be treated as well as any financial investor.

Thank you for the press release but please deliver on your word.
  • shteev
    Options
    rinzler said:
    They made sure to put  Steve Fawkners' name in the second sentence. Hopefully it will give us a sense of reassurance.
    Hopefully he'll have something to do with game design, and not just name dropped to give us a sense of reassurance.
  • Fiddler
    Fiddler Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options

A hearty welcome to Oktagon Games! I think I speak for the vast bulk of players that we are pleased new development and ongoing support are back on the table!

I for one am looking forward to seeing your work. 

• HypnoticSpecter
    HypnoticSpecter Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Very exciting! Those deadlines need to be adhered to though, no excuses.
  • TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ok, so I read the release and now I am worried. The last time Booster Crafting was pushed back for a new set's release that was the last bit of solid information we got. I think I would be more reassured if I heard more about Oktagon's plans for it.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Oktagon's "Our Way" is a good mission statement. If they can bring their existing values into this it will be good.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Options
    All I got out of this was "You're going to have to play these two tinykitty (intended) events over and over again until November. Can we get some throwback coalition events @Brigby ?

Glad there's new devs though. 

And yes @GrizzoMtGPQ  -- more story mode. 
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Steve Fawkner's Warlords series was among my first "just one more turn" games I played on my Amiga500. Sweet memories. Didn't knew he was involved in the original PQ too. I only played PQ2 on my ipad a couple of years ago. 
  • tfg76
    tfg76 Posts: 258 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @Brigby , any news on when the bug limiting the number of HOU cards available in the vault will be fixed? Hopefully that´s a quick fix and thus will not be queued behind the Ixalan release.
  • nexus13
    nexus13 Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @newdevs, a simple warning, I know that making the AI smarter would be a generally good thing but if you teach it to cycle you will kill the game outright. So please don't do that.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,435 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    nexus13 said:
    @newdevs, a simple warning, I know that making the AI smarter would be a generally good thing but if you teach it to cycle you will kill the game outright. So please don't do that.

I don't see a problem with that if they up the cost it takes to cycle. Otherwise I agree with you.
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I welcome AI cycling.
  • HypnoticSpecter
    HypnoticSpecter Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @Brigby, you said 2 weeks ago tomorrow that these cards would be added into the packs in "about two weeks." This was after we received a message in our inboxes 2 weeks ago today that said the cards would be in packs in 2 weeks. Is that timeline still accurate, or should we consider this officially delayed? That would be discouraging after a specific timeline was given through an official communication. I realize you aren't in a position to make promises on behalf of D3 in these forums, but I think we should be able to at least rely on actual in-game communications.

If it is delayed, why was the two-week timeline given at all, if D3 wasn't confident it could be met?
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Options
    "about"

Why quote it if you're going to ignore the word?