PvP Requires Shield?

Taganov
Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I jumped into the new PvP season and have hit a brick wall of retaliations and attacks that have sucked away almost half my progress (went from almost 1800 to 1000). For those who place regularly, is shielding pretty much mandatory? I had dreams of the Grey BW and a heroic 10 pack PROGRESSION rewards (I entertained no illusions of placing), but I don't know how feasible that is unless I somehow do it all in one huge push before my team is gang...molested by teams with max level Patch, Classic Magneto (OMG) and Hulk. I feel so deflated I almost don't want to play PvP anymore.

Anyhow, I enjoy the game immensely, just looking to recalibrate my expectations based on some veteran feedback.

Comments

• Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Taganov wrote:
    Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I jumped into the new PvP season and have hit a brick wall of retaliations and attacks that have sucked away almost half my progress (went from almost 1800 to 1000). For those who place regularly, is shielding pretty much mandatory? I had dreams of the Grey BW and a heroic 10 pack PROGRESSION rewards (I entertained no illusions of placing), but I don't know how feasible that is unless I somehow do it all in one huge push before my team is gang...molested by teams with max level Patch, Classic Magneto (OMG) and Hulk. I feel so deflated I almost don't want to play PvP anymore.

Anyhow, I enjoy the game immensely, just looking to recalibrate my expectations based on some veteran feedback.

There is absolutely no reason to buy a shield in the S.H.I.E.L.D Simulator. Shielding in the current Punisher or Loki PVP's is beneficial to maintain your score for those events. Those scores will also help your season score progress. DO NOT waste HP on shields in the PVP Simulator...it is a huge waste.

By playing the PVP's and other Season related events you should progress to the Heroic 10 pack. As for the GSBW cover at 3200 in the Simulator...if anyone reaches that, they've probably spent more in shields than the cover is worth.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    edited May 2014
    Keep in mind that there are still 16 days left in SHIELD Simulator. It is not, in any way, like a normal PVP event. Shielding at this point is utterly useless. So is scoring high. The only score that matters is your final score, 16 days from now. Take some consolation in the fact that getting attacked from 1800 to 1000 has dropped your PVP MMR significantly, so it should help make your normal PVP fights easier up to maybe 500-700 points.
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Seems I've much to learn. Thanks for the responses guys. I was poking around the forum and found some tips and (thankfully!) a legend for all the abbreviations that I'll dig into once the work day is done icon_e_biggrin.gif .
  • For an event like the SHIELD training you should not expect to get anywhere close to the top unless you've some insane playing hours.

So the fact that the current #1 is still pretty far from the 3* rewards means you shouldn't bother with shields either. I'd estimate you'd need the current #1 to be at least 200 points higher than whatever reward you're going for before you should even think about using shields to try to attain whatever reward you're going for.

Note that this is only true for the SHIELD training because there is only one global bracket so you know where the limits are. For the individual PvE events, it is quite possible your bracket is just especially weak (or tough) and the values you see do not reflect the norm. The only way you can tell for sure is from experience, but generally speaking if it looks like putting up a shield will get you a 3* cover you need, you should always do it.