What should I do with my 3* characters?

Options
rocks52
rocks52 Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
So I have about 10 3* characters rostered that I never bothered putting any more covers/iso until b/c they either suck or I don't care for them enough to use resources on them.  My question is, is it worth it for me to go ahead and invest resources in them?  The main reason I'm debating this is for their PVP event when a loaner character basically puts me at a 2 vs 3 disadvantage.  Now, this never stops me from reaching my goals nor does it cost me to use a boatload of health packs, so it's not really hurting what I do in the game, I'm just wondering if the rewards (basically champ rewards/farming) is worth my iso investment or should I just save the iso for 4* and 5* characters?

Comments

• CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Champ them all; those champ awards can be the backbone of building a 4* roster.
    Also, as you progress and build your 4*s, you will be available to attack by stronger rosters, and those 3* loaners will become a liability (though if they go to win based progression, you may not care).
  • rocks52
    rocks52 Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Options
    That's what I'm thinking if they go to the win based progression, I won't really care.  I would have gotten all progression rewards for both events in the infinity mini-season, but the thing ended about 12 hours before I realized it would so I fubared that one.  So for what I'm going for, my 3* roster is not holding me back.  
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

rocks52 said:
    So for what I'm going for, my 3* roster is not holding me back.  
    If the only thing you're going for is handicaping yourself in PvP, you're right. Otherwise... yeah, it kind of is holding you back when compared to someone with all the threes champed.

A boosted 3-star between 300-400th level is a heckuva lot more useful than some **** loaner, in both PvP as well as PvE. Speaking of PvE, 3-stars are kinda important if you want to play competitively. Did I mention DDQ? 3-stars come in handy in allowing you to play a couple of those nodes. The champ rewards alone are worth their cost in ISO.

It should be the goal of every player to champ all the 3-stars. When new ones come out, even 5-star players champ the new threes.
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @Dormammu is correct, but I think it's even simpler. 3* champ rewards are valuable sources of covers, HP, CP and ISO. Especially as you get close to 260. And, as you get close to 260, about half of them become almost as useful as a champed 4* when boosted. 

I see little downside to this. 

If you're happy with how you're progressing, I'm not going to tell you you're wrong, but I will tell you you're handicapping yourself. 

My 2 cents.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Adding to all above - 3* covers are also now fairly easy to obtain and if you focus on one 3* at a time with bonus heroes, you can obtain 13+ covers in no time at all. I was like you and had a bunch of 3* with no or few covers but the bonus hero system allowed me to champ all of them since it was introduced. Might as well make use of what is basically covers raining from elite tokens.
  • jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2017
    Options
       I was at your point a few months ago and I have to echo with most everyone's opinion to champ them all.  I have a few more reasons for doing so. 

1)  Instead of using bonus heroes to champ all the 3*s, as suggested above, I use bonus heroes to get my 3* heroes to the next 50 HP reward level, beginning ones are 171 and 189.  Currently, I have three that are one cover away from that level and once I get that bonus hero pull, I'll change to the next.  It really helps in getting me those extra slots at a quicker pace.  The more champs you have the more likely you'll have someone close to the 50 HP mark.

2)  As you probably already know, DDQ levels can be a good source of extra token pulls and extra ISO each day.  Once you start rostering more 4*s, you'll most likely need a fully champed 3* to get through the 2nd to last level, Behemoth Burrito.  It'll give you an extra token pull each day and 2 CP's, which in the long run are helpful.

3)  Lastly, you might miss out on hidden gems that you may have thought were not very interesting/strong characters like myself.  For awhile I had heard a little about 3* Bullseye and he didn't seem all that interesting; until I played him in a boosted PVE node with 3*IM40 and 3* Strange.  He's very useful for wave nodes even unboosted, because if you can get him to make the first down in the match it can very often get completely out of control for the opposing team.  There's been numerous times that he'll fill up the whole board with strike tiles.  So I went from not being all that interested in a character, to using him every day in the DDQ Big Enchilada and wave nodes in PVE.
  • Huntah86
    Huntah86 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    No cover left behind! When I was mainly a 3* roster I felt the same way as you and have aold more than my fair share of 3* covers that I felt sucked. Now that Im firmly in 4* land I have every 3* champed (except Elektra, got her dully covered though) and completely regret all the wasted covers I sold. Having a maxed or high level 3* for PVP is a HUGE advantage. I typically get to around 1k in PVPs before I get smashed. The few PVPs where the 3* I have is maxed I can get over 1200 on. One thing not mentioned above is all the XP you would be missing out on too. Short story long, I get why you dont want to roster every cover now and thats not necessarily wrong but eventually youre gonna wanna champ everyone regardless. You dont uave to level everybody now but getting themnfully covered isnt a bad idea.