Is there a reason rewards taper off in progression?

Dragon_Nexus
Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
I wonder if anyone else feels this. In PvE it feels a lot less rewarding nearer the end of the event. You start off and there are prizes galour but soon you get the 4* cover and suddenly it all dries up. There are a few ISO rewards and such and a bit of HP...and then after a while you hit the final CP and that's it.

It's the same with PvP seasons, in fact it's worse there. It's a load of rewards at the start, constant rewards and covers and stuff...until you hit the 10-pack. Then there's basically nothing and it feels like a long grind to the CP reward at the end.

I don't have this issue for individual PvP events only because I don't aim for 1200, but it's the same there. You hit the 4* cover and then there's nothing for 300 points.

It seems strange to me that there's a significant reward followed by a significant lack of reason to continue.

Comments

• vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    And here I am, putting my snarky comment back in my pocket.  Hope this news comes soon!
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been advocating for a bonus progression system since I started posting here. I play for placement and it always felt weird how once you hit the cp at the end that was it even though the event still had a good day or more left in it. The game is like "Whoa! Look at all of these extra points that are adding up on your total and they don't go towards anymore progression rewards! Isn't that cool?!" No, no it isn't. I want to keep earning iso, hp, cp, tokens and maybe a 4* cover as the final prize for those of us willing to do 6 or more clears in an event.

And please, for the love of Rogue, can we fix the reward structure for nodes too? First four rewards are awesome then the last two, for the hardest of the six clears, are like a handful of iso and a standard token. Yay? The game thinks I'm like a 1* player or something.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    shardwick said:
    I've been advocating for a bonus progression system since I started posting here. I play for placement and it always felt weird how once you hit the cp at the end that was it even though the event still had a good day or more left in it. The game is like "Whoa! Look at all of these extra points that are adding up on your total and they don't go towards anymore progression rewards! Isn't that cool?!" No, no it isn't. I want to keep earning iso, hp, cp, tokens and maybe a 4* cover as the final prize for those of us willing to do 6 or more clears in an event.

And please, for the love of Rogue, can we fix the reward structure for nodes too? First four rewards are awesome then the last two, for the hardest of the six clears, are like a handful of iso and a standard token. Yay? The game thinks I'm like a 1* player or something.

That's true for node rewards. There's a lot in this game that starts off well and tapers off, huh?

Though I understand kind of the progression thing. For those only after progression there's already enough pushback at the idea of needing 5 clears a day. Creating more prizes so that you'd need to do a full 4 clears, then 3 before a sub event ends, then 4 on the new one to get maximum progression would put a lot of people off.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's why I call it bonus progression. I would have them go back to max progression (15 cp) being the prize for 4 clears. Then add in extra stuff for those that want to do more so if you have a busy life and really can only spare enough time to do 4 clears then you'll be able to get your cp and can relax for the rest of the event.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cthulhu said:
    We are reviewing this and will try and see what we can do, there is a new plan coming
    I do hope your solution is not to remove the final prog to make the curve smoother, like you did with the test off-season "season".
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    Boosts
    70 ISO
    Standard Token
    140 ISO
    Elite Token
    250 ISO

Seems right. Edit: For individual nodes. And obviously keep the CP in the nodes that already have them.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    I thought they tailed off because nodes in later subs are worth more points so in order to get a similar number of progression rewards triggering each day, for the same amount of play, the gaps have to become wider. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm still stunned by a dev reply to a random thread, especially at the start.  

Also very excited for progression rewards increases / changes.  Hopefully meaningful jumps between 7, 8, & 9 are coming otherwise there's little reason to go above 7 if you know you don't have a high chance of high placement.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,414 Chairperson of the Boards
    Would love some changes.  Even just simple ISO or boosts in between would be nice.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Presumably it's so you can play to get the 4* cover, and then stop, if the sudden boost of HP and CP at the end isn't worth it to you.

We should probably be thankful that the rewards aren't any more back-loaded than they already are, otherwise you could end up with something like

50% progression: 25% of the rewards
    75% progression: 33% of the rewards
    85% progression: 40% of the rewards
    95% progression: 50% of the rewards
    99% progression: 75% of the rewards
    100% progression: 100% of the rewards

Now granted, if you're only in it for the CP, then this could already be true. But at least the cover and token rewards provide some nice 'plateaus' where you can stop, and still feel like you've at least accomplished something.

I'm not sure that extra rewards after max progression is really the answer... isn't that just a cunningly-disguised placement reward?
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    that's the reason i usually stop after exactly those rewards 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,737 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cthulhu said:
    We are reviewing this and will try and see what we can do, there is a new plan coming
    @Cthulhu   After the announcement of wins based PVP going live, I am wondering if that is the "new plan" you mentioned here, or if there is something else being worked on.  I am sure you are aware that the wins PVP announcement is very unpopular with some players; a changed reward structure in either PVE or PVP might help with player morale.   It is also unclear (and expectedly so) whether the PVE or PVP rewards (or both) are/were being reviewed.

Thank you for your consideration.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    @bluewolf Please don't hijack my topic to grumble about current changes.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've never understood why node rewards don't change with clearance levels. Scl 8 and 9 should be giving elite tokens instead of standards and smaller iso rewards should he doubled. Isn't that the reason people play in harder scls.
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    Here's hoping for an overhaul to PvE progression, including completely removing placement rewards and shuffling all of those rewards into the Progression system. Alliance placements can be changed as well, change it to something similar to Boss Event alliance progression rewards, so if everyone in the alliance does 5 clears, then everyone in the alliance that has participated gets full rewards for the event.

While this would upset a great many people, I think it would make a lot more very happy.