PVP - Top Season reward perception

bluewolf
bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
This could be a moot point for a never-to-be repeated prize structure, but I wanted to make a point about the recent Infinity Season top progression prize (20HP).

I fully understand that they basically divided the regular season rewards by 5 to get the values of Iso and HP.  I am OK with that.  I also understand that they wanted to take CP away from top progression.  Not going to argue that either, it's been argued about a lot elsewhere.

But, if you reach the top progression in a reward system, it is much better if it feels like the best prize in that table.  The prize that seemed most exciting was the heroic 10 pack.  People like to reach that prize and share their results (in any season).  Normally this is a mid-level prize, but if it had been the top prize for a short (2 event) season, I think plenty of people would have felt better about the design.  (There are always complainers).  

20HP is 1/5 of 100HP, which is the last normal season prize before the CP, so it's place in the table made some sense if you cut the CP off the table.  However, seeing it as the top prize seemed silly when you consider that playing PVE can easily get you 10HP from intercepts from one node.  And I will often see that more than once a day.

Maybe this is well understood based on the threads that are already out there, but I thought I'd lay out an argument here.  And I also realize that there was no need to even have season rewards for a 2-event season.  But if you want to do that as (I assume) incentive to get people to play, then please consider reworking the reward system design to make the last prize feel like the best one.  I suppose metrics could prove me wrong, but anything that dissuades people from playing seems to hurt the game, and possibly could have hurt engagement in the events.